Author Topic: New project for the coming weeks... Stainless steel BBQ table.  (Read 4802 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I've got a Weber kettle grill that I really like, but it's something of a pain in the rear to use because I don't have a table outside.

I bought a cheap folding table on Amazon, but that's still something of a pain in the butt to get out and set up.

I started investigating the wooden BBQ tables that you can buy... and I was thoroughly UNDER impressed with them. Chicken *expletive deleted*it construction, and very expensive.

The Weber side tables are way too small for what I want.

So, I thought I'd build my own. First I watched some videos on building a wooden grill table. OK, not bad, but still not crazy about it... then it hit me that if I could find a stainless steel food service table, I could cut a hole in the top for the grill and have plenty of room on the side on and on the bottom shelf for a proper multipurpose grill table.

Even better, depending on where you buy the table, it's damned cheap...

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/regency-30-x-72-18-gauge-304-stainless-steel-commercial-work-table-with-galvanized-legs-and-undershelf/600T3072G.html

The only issue might be getting the hole cut in the table. I'm thinking an electric nibbler if I can find one that will handle the thickness. If not, I'll try a saber saw and a bunch of cutting blades.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
Re: New project for the coming weeks... Stainless steel BBQ table.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 06:50:33 PM »
Just have a good template and a steady had.

Webstaurant store is awesome, used them before and never disappointed.  That said,  I see similar tables on craigslist all the time for under $100 if you're trying to cut costs.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 08:25:41 PM »
18 ga is firmly in nibbler or preferably electric throat less shear territory. I am concerned there could be warpage after the hole is cut. We're I building that from scratch there would be underlying structure at the hole, or at least the metal flanged. A metal cutting router bit is also a fun but noisy option.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 07:06:27 AM »
"I am concerned there could be warpage after the hole is cut."

The kettle itself isn't that heavy, so I should be able to reinforce the cutout with bar stock if needed, but that's a good point that I had not considered.

For cutting, I'm thinking of something like this...

It will handle 18 gauge stainless.

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Electric-Metal-Shear-UL-Listed/dp/B001G28DQ4

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 07:07:46 AM »
"Just have a good template and a steady had."

I'm actually thinking of drilling a hole in the center of the cut out and using it as a pivot point for a guide. That will allow me to swing the circle fairly smoothly for most of the circumference.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 08:33:44 AM »
While I would love to have a plasma cutter, I just can't justify spending the money on a tool I'd use, realistically, once every couple of years, at best.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 10:08:46 AM »
While I would love to have a plasma cutter, I just can't justify spending the money on a tool I'd use, realistically, once every couple of years, at best.

I was debating on getting one myself, but decided against it for the same reason as you. I wonder what the rental costs are on them?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »
Not sure, but I'm thinking that the more logical approach would be the jig saw with metal cutting blades, a swing arm, cutting oil, and lots of patience.

Hum... Just saw that I can buy carbide tipped jig saw blades for cutting harder materials. I think I may be on to something here.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
Not sure, but I'm thinking that the more logical approach would be the jig saw with metal cutting blades, a swing arm, cutting oil, and lots of patience.

Hum... Just saw that I can buy carbide tipped jig saw blades for cutting harder materials. I think I may be on to something here.

If you own a wood router investigate the carbide router bits. The shears you linked will work but turning the circle is a little pain. Leave some room, don't try to cut right on the line. The router bits I use are 1/8 or 3/16 and for use in an air tool. Plasma cutter is way overkill for a glorified pop can.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 12:07:58 PM »
That's a really cool idea, Mike.  Let us know how it comes out.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
If you own a wood router investigate the carbide router bits. The shears you linked will work but turning the circle is a little pain. Leave some room, don't try to cut right on the line. The router bits I use are 1/8 or 3/16 and for use in an air tool. Plasma cutter is way overkill for a glorified pop can.

Controlling the heat when cutting stainless steel is critical. The warmer it gets the more it work hardens, making it even harder to cut.

I'd be afraid of trying to cut it with a router for that very reason.

With a jigsaw you can control the heat build up a LOT better by reducing the speed and feed rate.

For heat control, I'm thinking of using a simple water spray on the underside of the table and a water miscible cutting oil on top.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 01:01:45 PM »
Can't find a metal shop mom and pop auto body shop or something local with a plasma cutter that would give you 3 minutes for about $10?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 01:21:30 AM »
Or a hvac shop may have a big hole cutter. What size are you looking at doing mine might do it pay shipping both ways and you can borrow it.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG