Author Topic: The Liberal International Order  (Read 2143 times)

freakazoid

• friend
The Liberal International Order
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:39:47 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/us/politics/obama-reaction-trump-election-benjamin-rhodes.html
Reading this article from the New York times. There is this one interesting part in it. It talks about how that when President Obama met with Chancellor Angela Merkel for the last time and that she "felt more obliged to run for another term because of Mr. Trump’s election to defend the liberal international order.". Ummm... [tinfoil]

And also that she had a single tear as he left the meeting  :rofl:.

Another interesting unrelated quote:
Mr. Obama and his team were confident that Mrs. Clinton would win and, like much of the country, were shocked when she did not. “I couldn’t shake the feeling that I should have seen it coming,” Mr. Rhodes writes. “Because when you distilled it, stripped out the racism and misogyny, we’d run against Hillary eight years ago with the same message Trump had used: She’s part of a corrupt establishment that can’t be trusted to bring change.”

So is he saying that those are ok things now? Trump used racism against Hillary? lol
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The Liberal International Order
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:44:09 PM »
I think he said Obama used racism against Hillary.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 09:45:17 PM »
Merkel better pray she dies of natural causes before the German people figure out how screwed they are and whose responsible.

How does the old saying go?  Germans are nice until they aren't?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 09:53:00 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/us/politics/obama-reaction-trump-election-benjamin-rhodes.html
Reading this article from the New York times. There is this one interesting part in it. It talks about how that when President Obama met with Chancellor Angela Merkel for the last time and that she "felt more obliged to run for another term because of Mr. Trump’s election to defend the liberal international order.". Ummm... [tinfoil]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_international_economic_order

In international relations, the liberal international economic order (LIEO), also known as the rules-based order or the US-led liberal international order, is a notion that contemporary international relations are organized around several guiding principles, such as open markets, multilateral institutions, liberal democracy, and leadership by the United States and its allies. The order was established in the aftermath of World War II, and is often associated with Pax Americana.

International organizations play a central role in the liberal order. The World Trade Organization, for example, creates and implements free trade agreements, while the World Bank provides aid to developing countries. The order is also premised on the notion that liberal trade and free markets will contribute to global prosperity and peace. Critics argue that the liberal order has sometimes led to social problems such as inequality and environmental degradation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_democracy

a form of government in which representative democracy operates under the principles of classical liberalism. Also called western democracy, it is characterised by elections between multiple distinct political parties, a separation of powers into different branches of government, the rule of law in everyday life as part of an open society and the equal protection of human rights, civil rights, civil liberties and political freedoms for all people.

So, not "liberal" in the twisted way we use that term in America, but denoting true liberalism: freedom, fairness, the rule of law, representative government, and such-like.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 09:54:11 AM »
As long as we don't hear them talk about the Progressive World Order.  That must mean the 4th Reich or something.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 09:58:21 AM »

So, not "liberal" in the twisted way we use that term in America, but denoting true liberalism: freedom, fairness, the rule of law, representative government, and such-like.

Though interestingly, from what I've read of it, Ben Rhodes was talking about it in the "twisted" definition. You would think he would have wanted to downplay that, which stating it as the definition you posted might have done. By leaving out the "economic" he's kinda being an instigator.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
Somehow, the use of the term "order" bothers me, regardless of which "liberal" they mean.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »
Somehow, the use of the term "order" bothers me, regardless of which "liberal" they mean.
That tends to mean "force everyone to comply" no matter what political views they take. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 12:17:34 PM »
Tough crowd.   =)  Given it was the German chancellor, I'm inclined to think she was talking about the sort of "liberal order" I cited. If Rhodes isn't just making stuff up. In any case, some of these people either believe, or want us to believe, that Donald Trump is some kind of threat to democracy, free and fair elections, the rule of law, a free press, and many other things the Left is working hard to destroy themselves.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 12:52:50 PM »

Oh, I don't expect the Germans to do anything to defend Western Civilization.  They are mostly atheists with a tiny birth rate of 1.5 kids per woman.  They are pretty indoctrinated with multiculturalism.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 02:01:14 PM »
Quote from: 230RN on Today at 08:38:17 AM

That tends to mean "force everyone to comply" no matter what political views they take.  

Exactly !  Thank you.

Terry

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 04:02:14 PM »
Oh, I don't expect the Germans to do anything to defend Western Civilization.  They are mostly atheists with a tiny birth rate of 1.5 kids per woman.  They are pretty indoctrinated with multiculturalism.

From what little we've seen of the immigrant instituted violence and sexual assaults in Germany (and elsewhere in Europe) it is entirely possible they are getting the "indoctrination"  raped out of their system. I'd be only a little surprised to see some violent push back from the German people after the next couple of incidents.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 04:24:12 PM »
It makes me laugh how many articles and books I have seen which are analyzing this last presidential election to see why a "sure thing" candidate like Hillary Clinton lost, especially to an inexperienced, unqualified, sexist, racist candidate.  See, it seems real simple to me.  A lot of people supported both Trump and Clinton.  A lot more people supported neither one.  But when it came time to cast a ballot, these people voted against Hillary Clinton, be it because of her policies, her suspect past, or just because people are tired of the Bush/Clinton dynasties.  The election was as much an indictment of Hillary Clinton as a candidate as anything else.  And, I laugh to myself when I hear people around the courthouse talk about wanting her to run again next time.  Why not just burn big piles of cash instead of throwing money at her as a candidate again.  She's done, or at least she should be.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 05:24:13 PM »
Merkel better pray she dies of natural causes before the German people figure out how screwed they are and whose responsible.

It was not part of their blood,
It came to them very late,
With long arrears to make good,
When the Saxon began to hate.

They were not easily moved,
They were icy -- willing to wait
Till every count should be proved,
Ere the Saxon began to hate.

Their voices were even and low.
Their eyes were level and straight.
There was neither sign nor show

It was not preached to the crowd.
It was not taught by the state.
No man spoke it aloud

It was not suddently bred.
It will not swiftly abate.
Through the chilled years ahead,
When Time shall count from the date
That the Saxon began to hate.
- Rudyard Kipling
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 07:51:26 PM »
It makes me laugh how many articles and books I have seen which are analyzing this last presidential election to see why a "sure thing" candidate like Hillary Clinton lost, especially to an inexperienced, unqualified, sexist, racist candidate.  See, it seems real simple to me.  A lot of people supported both Trump and Clinton.  A lot more people supported neither one.  But when it came time to cast a ballot, these people voted against Hillary Clinton, be it because of her policies, her suspect past, or just because people are tired of the Bush/Clinton dynasties.  The election was as much an indictment of Hillary Clinton as a candidate as anything else.  And, I laugh to myself when I hear people around the courthouse talk about wanting her to run again next time.  Why not just burn big piles of cash instead of throwing money at her as a candidate again.  She's done, or at least she should be.
I agree that Clinton was a horrible candidate with little talent for connecting with working class people (or anyone).  Trump did have the advantage that he does not talk or act like a typical D.C. politician and that connected with a lot of people.  

There are also two monster issues the left overlooks:  1) the economy, and 2) immigration.  The economy had languished under Obama and his people seemed to be actively trying to kill big chunks of it with environmental regulations among other policies.  On immigration, Trump tapped into a big and growing source of frustration and anger among the electorate over the failure of the FedGov to do anything about illegal immigration.  I think a lot of the people who voted for Trump are the people whose jobs are affected by it or who have to live near it.  If a Houston radio station brings it up, there are endless amounts of callers with stories about car wrecks and drunk drivers involving illegals.  Most of those stories involve the police either not arresting the illegal or a hit and run.  A lot of people are sick of it (even Hispanics).  

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 10:39:34 PM »

I've always seen it in print as:

"The Hun.  Either at your feet or at your throat."

Kipling's poem quoted above has long been a favorite of mine. 
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 09:52:50 PM »
I've always seen it in print as:

"The Hun.  Either at your feet or at your throat."

Kipling's poem quoted above has long been a favorite of mine. 

Hell,  he wasn't wrong..

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 09:53:37 PM »
- Rudyard Kipling

Well played,  was what I was thinking.