Author Topic: Denver Uber driver attacked and shoots passenger but...  (Read 1205 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Denver Uber driver attacked and shoots passenger but...
« on: June 01, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »
Let me get this straight, the Uber driver is attacked, defends himself and NO ONE talks about the attack on the DRIVER and the possibility that deadly force MIGHT have been justified? "Reporting" like this PISSES me off...

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/police-uber-driver-shoots-kills-passenger-on-denver-interstate
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Denver Uber driver attacked and shoots passenger but...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:47:01 PM »
Oh, there was at least a mention of the driver, a CCW permit holder, having said he was attacked.  Another report said there were ten shell casings recovered.

Interesting.

Driver is under arrest.

<speculation> I think maybe the enforcement folks absolutely positively want to cover all the bases very very thoroughly on this one considering the current atmosphere. </speculation>

There was also a mention of Uber's no guns policy for drivers or passengers.

I'm not clear on what the report meant on his CCWpermit.  They said he had a permit from when he was an armed guard.  ???

Terry
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:04:42 PM by 230RN »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 07:11:15 AM »
To arrest the Uber driver on the spot means to me that the police had a good reason for the arrest other than just to cover their bases.  Sometimes, people with CCWs make mistakes or are the bad guys.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 09:35:21 AM »
True, but I do remember in my first CCW class 15+ years ago the Denver instructor telling us we can expect to be arrested so that there would be a record of use of a firearm for future reference if it happened again.  Can't vouch for that logic, but that's why I offered the <speculation>.

Besides, the arrest may have actually been for something else, like evidence of drugs or dealing or whatever.  NED.  Not enough data as of now, but I haven't checked for updates yet this AM.  Gotta take care of the three Ss.  (Sh*, Shower, and Shave, not the other three Ss.)

Terry
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 09:49:14 AM by 230RN »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
It is my understanding that you can expect to be arrested in just about any big city no matter how legit your defense was

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 11:45:39 AM »
It is my understanding that you can expect to be arrested in just about any big city no matter how legit your defense was

That was my understanding also, which is why I italicized "Denver" in my remarks about my first CCW class.  

But as I mentioned, it could have been for other reasons as well regardless of geography or merits of the shooting.

One thing seems to be clear, that 10 shell casings were recovered.  Sounds to me like a gun battle, but no information as yet whether all ten were from the same gun. I've heard tell about double-tapping and triple-tapping, but never deci-tapping.*

Terry

* The way I understand it, Uber drivers use their own cars, so the shells could be a result of outdoor informal range shooting.  I'm sure I've had perhaps a dozen empties of various calibers in my various cars at various times hiding under seats and in other hidey-holes.  Maybe even a few live .22s from the time I spilled a box...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:18:33 PM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
The casings were OUTSIDE the vehicle the way I read it IIRC? I'm not saying it's entirely possible that the driver is a complete idiot, just that the article seems VERY slanted. Ooooh! The driver had SPEEDING TICKETS!!! Hang him! Gimme a break...  :facepalm:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 12:42:27 PM »
The casings were OUTSIDE the vehicle the way I read it IIRC?

Also looks like the car hit the barrier wall, so maybe they were in some sort of physical altercation that caused the wreck, and the driver bailed out, drawing and doing a mag dump at the same time.

Ooooh! The driver had SPEEDING TICKETS!!! Hang him! Gimme a break...  :facepalm:

Yeah, I started to comment on that too.  When that's all you can find on somebody, it screams that you're trying way too hard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 04:53:16 PM »
The casings were OUTSIDE the vehicle the way I read it IIRC? I'm not saying it's entirely possible that the driver is a complete idiot, just that the article seems VERY slanted. Ooooh! The driver had SPEEDING TICKETS!!! Hang him! Gimme a break...  :facepalm:

He had to speed, to make up for those slow pistol bullets. Should have gone with an AK-16.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 08:55:59 PM »
. . . I've heard tell about double-tapping and triple-tapping, but never deci-tapping.*
Pretty hard to shoot someone with one-tenth of a shot . . . now deka tapping I could understand.  ;)

Q: "Why did you shoot him 10 times?"
A: "I ran out of bullets."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 09:23:00 PM »
Okay, I finally saw the video on the link.  The implication that multiple traffic violations should prevent you from having a gun is idiotic.   =)

Now, if the guy had reason to shoot and both the shooter and the attacker were moving, I can easily see 10 shots.  However, it does create questions about when he started shooting and what the attacker was doing.  I am not sure how the self defense laws are worded in Colorado. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 09:13:37 AM »
Hey, at least he didn't shoot more than ten times, cuz that woulda been military grade!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 05:32:12 PM »
Charged with 1st degree murder.

okay.....
Hancock declined to give police detectives his side of the story. Ten bullet casings were discovered near Hancock’s vehicle. Kim’s body was found slumped in his car.

Hancock’s family says he only shot the man because the passenger was beating him on the head. Hancock’s sister, Kilisha Beasley of Aurora, said he fired his gun in self-defense.
1.  Looks like he didn't talk to the police and they don't see clear evidence of self defense so he is getting charged.  
2.  The guy was still in the car so that makes it tough to show he was still threatened when he started firing.  He was out of the car and relatively safe (?) when he started shooting.  

Just my guesses.  His defense has an uphill battle. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 07:28:31 PM »
2.  The guy was still in the car so that makes it tough to show he was still threatened when he started firing.  He was out of the car and relatively safe (?) when he started shooting.

Forced out of his own car and onto the freeway is a bit of an odd situation, though; police will be the first to tell you that it's extremely dangerous to be on foot in the middle of a high speed multi lane roadway.  Plus the alleged assailant then had effective control of the vehicle to potentially use it as a weapon.  Throw in the stress of being in a physical altercation inside a moving vehicle that apparently caused him to hit the barrier, and I could see it swinging in his favor pretty quickly if his lawyer is any good at all.