Author Topic: Recent Windows 10 issue development  (Read 710 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Recent Windows 10 issue development
« on: June 02, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »
Recently my Acer laptop with Windows 10 updated and broke and I’m pissed.

I know there is a thread with this topic but I’m going a different direction. Not Linux. I’m ok with Linux but my wife is not. Linux is out.

This was a Windows 7 machine that did an upgrade 10. I’m thinking from what I’ve heard upgrades are more problematic that fresh install.

I’m planning to get a SSD and do a fresh 10 install.

I’m seeing 10 OEM as the cheapest licensed copy to buy. Is that a good idea? I’m reading drivers must be found to make it workable.

Would my existing Windows 7 license work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Recent Windows 10 issue development
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 11:04:50 AM »
Try doing a "Reset this PC" in the advanced startup menu.  I don't remember exactly how to get there; something like holding the shift key down when you logon.  (I'll track that down and post an update)  That fixed my Acer laptop after the 1803 update killed it.  I still had to uninstall the video driver and load one I downloaded from Acer last time I had a problem.  (the official MS driver which gets refreshed with every major update breaks one of the games I play)

Edit: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-access-advanced-startup-options-in-windows-10-or-8-2626229
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
Shouldn't need to buy a license.  During the install, at the point where it wants you to enter a license key, click the "I do not have a license key" thing at the bottom, and continue the install.  It should pick up that Win 10 was previously licensed on that particular computer, and automatically activate.

Windows 10 sure seems to break a lot.  Good think Win 10 is super easy to install.

Not Linux. I’m ok with Linux but my wife is not. Linux is out.

Linux is all my wife knows.

Curious attitude, given Windows has been morphing quite a bit, the last couple versions (8, 8.1, 10).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 12:49:03 PM »
Windows 7 is still receiving security support, until January 14, 2020. By that time you'll probably be ready for a new/different notebook anyway. Since this computer came with Windows 7, why not do a factory reset/restore and put it back on Windows 7?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 08:02:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

If it’s a new hard drive how does it know windows 10 was already on it. Bios?

I actually like Windows 10. My Dell 2-1 is 10 and I like having the same platform.

Had issues before with this upgrade. This was the worst by far. Sihost.exe error.

Just want a clean install on new drive and start over.

It’s an Acer Intel I 5. 15 inch. still quite useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 08:41:58 PM »

I actually like Windows 10. My Dell 2-1 is 10 and I like having the same platform.

:O  :O  :O
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 08:47:09 AM »
Feel for you p12.  My MacBook autoupdated the other day and the update broke the 3rd party driver I use to run 2x 24" external monitors I use on the machine.  :mad: Beta driver from the vendor will allow ONE external monitor at 1080p which is blurry and ugly.

Never liked Window 10 or 8.1 interface, so my Windows machine has classic shell on it to keep the familiar start button and menus.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.