Author Topic: 9mm 1911s.  (Read 2763 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
9mm 1911s.
« on: June 03, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »
Dave Workman writes a review of Ruger's new 9mm 1911. And gives it good marks.

This isn't the point of this post though.

This is how the headline came to me in my e-mail: "A 9mm 1911 worth shooting?" Note the question mark.

The headline for the article at the site:

Exclusive: Ruger’s Officer-Style SR1911 Is A 9mm Worth Shooting

Link here.

I'm less interested in this particular gun or the review or reviewer what I want to know is why he disdain for 9mm 1911s?

It's implied in the email topic line that I should be surprised by a good version of a 9mm 1911. I've also seen this attitude online a bunch.

People accept the .38 Super as a quality round from a 1911, so why not the slightly less powerful 9mm?

Is it because people don't generally respect the cartridge? Or is it that the 1911 was designed for the .45 ACP and it should not be used to launch any other rounds, dammit!

Or is there some reason I'm not seeing?

I personally like the concept. But then I like heavy-for-caliber guns generally and I have no problem with the 9mm. It's a good round that's stopped a lot of fights in it's day.

So what's your take on 9mm 1911s?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: 9mm 1911s.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 05:53:58 PM »
the 1911 was designed for the .45 ACP and it should not be used to launch any other rounds, dammit!

My impression is that it's mostly this. I have a Rock Island in 9mm that I love though.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »
I’m going to start this by making a statement. Most modern and/or non .45ACP 1911’s aren’t technically a 1911. They generally share the overall function and style. Single action trigger, grip angle, etc.

I own probably over 100 various 1911 style firearms. Everything from real original 1911’s, Colt Commander, home built, Gold Cups, double stack Para Ordinance, .22lr conversions, and even a Coonan or three. In probably at least 20 different calibers. Just off the top of my head. .22, 9mm, .380, .45, .451Detonics, 9x23, .38 Super, .50GI, .357mag ...

I don’t know why anyone would have an issue with a 9mm 1911. The important thing to me in a 1911 or 1911 style firearm is the grip angle, single action trigger and single stack magazine. Of course I also own double stack type to, but again not a real 1911 and my hand better fits on single stack. The fit and function is a proven design and if you like it what difference does the caliber really make.

I’ve carried many real and type style 1911’s; my more or less daily carry is currently a SIG P938.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 06:39:32 PM »
Every 9mm 1911 I've ever wrapped my paw around was an absolute joy to shoot. If I were getting something as a dedicated R&F (range & fun) gun I would seriously consider one in long slide.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »
The only variant I have shot in 9mm is the Springfield EMP.  Great pistol.  This would looks like a compact size in that same category.  Ruger shows 3 or 4 9mm 1911 pistols on their site. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 07:26:04 PM »
I reckon none can complain if the 9mm is a Commander-type.

I’m going to start this by making a statement. Most modern and/or non .45ACP 1911’s aren’t technically a 1911. They generally share the overall function and style. Single action trigger, grip angle, etc.

I think, if enough 1911-specific parts from Brownells will fit the gun, with no more fitting needed than for an issue Colt, there's no reason it shouldn't be considered a 1911. "1911" in this case referring to a gun-nerd category, not to a military designation.

I say "enough parts," because my GSG .22 pistol can use a number of 1911 parts, but doesn't even have a link, or a tilting barrel.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 07:34:46 PM »

Or is there some reason I'm not seeing?

Dave Workman. 'Nuff said.

I'm a 1911 guy. I have a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm that I picked up used (and abused) many years ago. It's probably my favorite of all the 1911s I've had opportunities to shoot over the past 50 years. I have no issues with 1911s in 9mm.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 08:04:31 PM »
For me, the thing about the .45 1911 is the overall feel while firing.  It's the combination of the (relatively) slow slide movement coupled with the all-steel construction that makes the experience different from any other pistol/caliber combo that I've encountered.  My experience with 9mm 1911s has been neutral; they're fine if that's what you like but they lack the... um, feng shui of the .45.  The faster moving slide makes them just as snappy as any other metal-framed pistol in that caliber, lacking the feel that makes the .45 stand out for me.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 08:58:15 PM »
Every time someone drops the hammer on a 1911 chambered in 9mm $diety kills a unicorn, and maybe a kitten.
 :old:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
Every time someone drops the hammer on a 1911 chambered in 9mm $diety kills a unicorn, and maybe a kitten.

Hell, that completely vindicates my STI 2011 9mm  >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 09:14:33 PM »

Do we need to have a reading of the Gospel Of Browning?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 09:55:01 PM »
I don't see the point unless it is an SV double stack. I have the hots for the  little .380s Colt made though. And proving I am a secret Mexican, I would really like a nickeled .38super.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 09:58:32 PM »

Not wanting to kill a cuddly little kitten I can understand.  But unicorns?  Those things are dangerous predators that often work in cahoots with Vampires.

Never had a chance to fire or even handle a 9mm 1911.  Might have to look into that sometime.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 10:22:47 PM »
I own a Springfield 1911 in 9mm. Pre EMP. Mine is the one they discontinued prior to launching the EMP.

Mine is a damn fine pistol. Will never part with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 01:51:09 PM »
I have two 9mms that are better than the stock 1911...

A Hi Power and a Radom.

Why would I go backwards?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 02:52:18 PM »
I have no particular preference for one over the other.  I imagine a 9 in a 1911 frame would be fun to shoot, which I found was so with my weighty M9, fun.

I guess the question mark was to alert readers to the fact there is a debate about a 9 in a 1911 frame, and here's some of it.  This is not uncommon:  Ford v Chevvy? Blondes v brunettes? Mary Ann v Ginger?

What I like about the 9 v .45 arguments are the catchphrases which develop.  My favorite is "A nine mm might fail to expand, but a .45 will never shrink."

I use that one every once in a while even though I like nines as well and nowadays both my EDCs are .355 to .357 in bullet diameters, not .452.

Another one ends with "Because they don't make a .46."

(I very rarely carry my own RIA .45 1911 any more because I found I like the DA's inherent safety and speed over the .45's single action.)

But a 9 in a .45 frame?  No problem with me.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »
And in other news:

The next generation of Dodge Hellcat will be named the Dodge Lucifer powered by the under rated and often overlooked powerhouse 2.4L 4 cylinder.  ;)

In all honesty I have only shot the 1911 style platform in .45, 10mm and 357 Coonan. I own the 45 and 10 and love the platform (been shooting it for 50+ years) so I imagine shooting 9mm out of the 1911 platform would be a very nice pairing. But I do not own any 9mm so I wouldn't go out and get one just because of that.

bob

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 04:13:38 PM »
Already having a few 15+ rd 9mm pistols, I have zero interest in a 1911 in that chambering.
.38 Super has always been on my list, because its different and interesting.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »
Already having a few 15+ rd 9mm pistols, I have zero interest in a 1911 in that chambering.

1983-ish, I had a "1911" Aluminum framed Colt Commander(?) in that caliber. Very impressive.  It made about the same dents in a 1/4" steel plate out in the pasture as a .357.  I didn't like the semi-rim on it, but it worked.  After cartridges got scarce I turned down .38 -.357 cases with a custom tool bit to make .38 Super brass.  It was really nice to carry around in the pastures and out in the boonies, but I sold it.

I understand the cartridge is coming back in favor.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 05:34:31 PM »

That is the one caliber I don't have that I want. Of course it will have to be nickel plated with MOP grips... because .38 Super!

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »

Another one ends with "Because they don't make a .46."

I stopped using that one when Guncrafters Industries came out with the .50 caliber 1911.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »
As I recall, and I don't know if it's still an issue or has been rectified with current designs, one argument for 9mm is in the very compact 1911s. I know that my micro-compact .45 is very picky about ammo, and for years I was hesitant to carry it for SHTF until I absolutely felt comfortable that the Federal Hydra Shoks (which, yes, I know are not the best defensive rounds) I use in  it would consistently feed. When I shoot my reloads (230gr lrn), they 99% feed thorough my TRP and Combat Commander, but only 75% of the time in the micro.

I seem to recall reading, and I think we've discussed it here, that once they go below commander size, the feeding starts to be an issue with .45 and requires careful engineering.

As far as full-size, while I only have .45s, I don't think 9mm is sacrilege. Certainly the Hi-Power, while not a 1911, is similar enough, and is a gun it's hard to find fault with. That said, I agree with Devonai on the "feng shui" (never thought I'd use that term for a gun  :laugh:  ) of the 1911 loaded with .45ACP.

Of course I have to say that as my TRP is sitting on the hotel desk next to me in its leather Milt Sparks IWB and watching what I type.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 07:56:50 PM »

Several years ago I met an old timer at the range that had a Colt 1911 chambered in .38 Special. I was able to handle it (but not fire it) so did see the chamber markings on the slide and saw the magazine that was modified to take the rimmed cartridges.
He stated that he had been on the Air Force pistol team many years ago and they had a special run of pistols made for the team.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 11:36:03 PM »
Several years ago I met an old timer at the range that had a Colt 1911 chambered in .38 Special. I was able to handle it (but not fire it) so did see the chamber markings on the slide and saw the magazine that was modified to take the rimmed cartridges.
He stated that he had been on the Air Force pistol team many years ago and they had a special run of pistols made for the team.

Yeah, if you ever see one for sale cheap just throw your wallet at them and run.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 11:38:48 PM »

They were called wadcutter guns, and they're very desirable. One of the moderators on the M1911.org forum has one. She has mentioned it, but I can't recall if she has ever posted pictures of it.