Author Topic: 9mm 1911s.  (Read 2740 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: 9mm 1911s.
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 07:52:42 AM »
Several years ago I met an old timer at the range that had a Colt 1911 chambered in .38 Special. I was able to handle it (but not fire it) so did see the chamber markings on the slide and saw the magazine that was modified to take the rimmed cartridges.
He stated that he had been on the Air Force pistol team many years ago and they had a special run of pistols made for the team.

I sold one of those back in the 1990s when I was working at the gunshop.

I wanted it BADLY, but I was only the counter monkey.

It was, I believe, Colt's attempt to answer S&W's Model 52. Never a huge seller, but had a following.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: 9mm 1911s.
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »
My favorite 1911 is a springfield built by Rob leatham when he ran the springfield armory custom shop 30some years ago. It is a .45 and slicker than snot and accurate. I bought my first 9mm 1911 last year, a commander size alloy frame. I like it a lot, enough to actually want another 5" steel 9mm, not as a carry gun but just a range fun gun. If I could justify the cost I would build a shortened slide with a barrel comp for 5" overall.
Just for fun ya know...
What we have here is failure to communicate.