Author Topic: Did another dumb thing  (Read 1723 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Did another dumb thing
« on: June 03, 2018, 10:11:18 PM »
Went to the food store either Friday evening or Saturday evening. Sunday evening (about an our ago) I looked in the back of the car and found that I had forgotten a bottle of orange juice (Tropicana Pure Premium, no pulp, 1.8 qt size). It's supposed to be refrigerated. This one sat in the car for either 24 or 48 hours without refrigeration. It's still unopened. The label says it's pasteurized.

Is it safe to use, or do I have to toss it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Did another dumb thing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 10:15:18 PM »
When in doubt throw it out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 10:16:56 PM »
Toss it. Even if it's safe to consume the taste has likely turned nasty. Chuck it and get a fresh one.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »
I vote toss it.

I consume enough questionable food as it is without ending up on the crapper from just being stupid.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 10:18:39 PM »
If I were a Doctor I would be the one out of ten that don't recommend something. With that said, how bad can it really be, especially if mixed with copious amounts of vodka or tequila. ;)

bob

JN01

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 10:25:57 PM »
A little food poisoning never killed anybody.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 10:37:06 PM »
A little colon cleans might be good for you. [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 10:48:25 PM »
Open it, add some raisins and toss it back in the car for a few weeks! If it doesn't explode, distill it. :D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 12:04:24 AM »
Just add vodka.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 08:24:12 AM »
As acidic as orange juice is, there's probably nothing growing in it.  However, the taste may have shifted unpleasantly after the exposure to higher temperatures.  I'd toss it for that reason alone.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
I'd toss it. Orange juice is cheap, and you'll probably spend more in tp dealing with the results than it'll cost to just buy some more orange juice.

I once left a whole chicken in the trunk for almost a week in mid June, a few years back. Didn't notice it was missing when unloading the bags, and it slid under something in the trunk so didn't see it during unloading. Then a couple days later I caught a wif of something....unpleasant and went searching. Being vacuum packed it'd been, uh, fermenting and stewing in the heat and I guess it took awhile before the aroma permeated its way through the plastic.

And just to get it out of the way, boy was it fowl.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 12:11:34 AM »
Had the same thing happen as with your chicken.  A roll of frozen ground turkey fell out of the sack and sat in the car for about a week when it finally popped the package with a surprisingly loud POP.  Thought I had hit a bump or something until the stench got to the driver's seat.  Golly, that was a stinky mess to clean up. Was like a turkey fragmentation grenade.

Wife1 left a dead gosling on the hot glassed-in back porch intending to discard it but forgot and after about five days the smell got to the point where there was no question of "what the heck is that smell?"

Orange juice?  Probably nothing wrong with it in terms of bacteria, but I would not take a chance with it and I'd discard it.  I used to have the proverbial cast iron stomach, but not any more.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 01:30:33 AM »
Had the same thing happen as with your chicken.  A roll of frozen ground turkey fell out of the sack and sat in the car for about a week when it finally popped the package with a surprisingly loud POP.  Thought I had hit a bump or something until the stench got to the driver's seat.  Golly, that was a stinky mess to clean up. Was like a turkey fragmentation grenade.

Oh, that's going on my revenge weapons list.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 09:38:57 AM »
I recall experience with bad orange juice back when I used to drink the frozen concentrate.  Not worth the trouble even if it is minor.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 11:54:28 AM »
OP: "It's supposed to be refrigerated. This one sat in the car for either 24 or 48 hours without refrigeration. It's still unopened. The label says it's pasteurized."

Park the car facing south and stick it on the dashboard for another couple of days to re-pasteurize it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 05:15:12 PM »
Open it and see.  It's too acidic for anything really nasty to grow.  It might be slightly fizzy if it started to ferment.  It's probably fine for cooking with (what does one cook with orange juice?) or making Screwdrivers or sangria.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »
It's probably fine for cooking with (what does one cook with orange juice?)

Mojo marinade for some Cuban sandwiches.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 05:27:53 PM »
I guess I'll play it safe and throw it away. As a child of depression-era parents, it hurts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 05:41:11 PM »
I guess I'll play it safe and throw it away. As a child of depression-era parents, it hurts.

Me too.  I understand.  Can't stand to see food wasted. But I have to throw away about 1/3 to 1/2 of my veggies and other produce. 'Cause there's just li'l ole me.  Hate food wastage in comedy shows.  Except pie fights.  I'm OK with pie fights.   I remember the blackouts of WWII in NYC.  That is all.  Please continue.

Terry