Author Topic: Anybody like model building? Particularly WW1 era planes.  (Read 647 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Anybody like model building? Particularly WW1 era planes.
« on: June 04, 2018, 06:11:08 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wxBhMJA7tY

This guy does some amazing work. This video in particular is of a Wingnut Wings Fokker D.VII-early, 1/32 scale. And his videos are all in stop-motion of their progress of being built. The amount of time to make one video/model must be huge.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
Re: Anybody like model building? Particularly WW1 era planes.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
Interesting. When I was a kid I built a LOT of model planes, tanks, & warships, from companies like Revell, Airfix, Hawk, and maybe a few others, but nothing with that level of detail - I was especially impressed with the model "wiring" on the engine.

What made me quit was the declining quality of the model kits - parts just didn't fit anymore, and it's hard to file or trim them to make them fit when they're undersized or warped. Looks like some better quality model kits are on the market today.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »
Gave up after the ratio of building time/flying time approached infinity.

As a kid, 10-11 yo, I built micro mini ones out of toothpicks and tissue.  Flew them like control line models off a 6 foot thread. My older brother was big on RC in the days when RC was pulse-escapement-operated, rudder only, had to single-pulse through left, neutral, right, neutral again on the rudder. Escapement was powered by a wound up rubber band. Three pulses to turn right.

Only model I'd like now is a static one of Marge I saw in a hobby shop for a little less than $30.  I might just get it.

Redhead. Yum.  It figures.  Yum.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:53:32 PM by 230RN »

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »
That was awesome. The level of detail, especially at that scale, is amazing.  The wood grain on the prop is a fine example.

From a historical perspective, I didn't realize the gas tank was right over the pilots knees, like a model T.  I guess there isn't really any other place to put it, but from today's outlook on safety it is scarey.  Anybody know why they painted the inside of the fuselage panels the same as the wings?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:25:46 PM »
Gave up after the ratio of building time/flying time approached infinity.

As a kid, 10-11 yo, I built micro mini ones out of toothpicks and tissue.  Flew them like control line models off a 6 foot thread. My older brother was big on RC in the days when RC was pulse-escapement-operated, rudder only, had to single-pulse through left, neutral, right, neutral again on the rudder. Escapement was powered by a wound up rubber band. Three pulses to turn right.

Only model I'd like now is a static one of Marge I saw in a hobby shop for a little less than $30.  I might just get it.

Redhead. Yum.  It figures.  Yum.

Terry, 230RN

Interesting. I've never seen nose art that was an actual picture before.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic