Author Topic: USSC ruling in the "Bake the Damn Cake" case  (Read 2965 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: USSC ruling in the "Bake the Damn Cake" case
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/4/scotus-sides-baker-same-sex-wedding-cake-case

I'm honestly surprised. I was pretty sure Kennedy would vote to force those bible-thumpers to just "get over it". That seems to be more in line with his philosophy.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
I thought I heard a mighty wailing, as if a bunch of liberals were dancing with joy then were suddenly silenced.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »
From what I've been able to read so far, neither side (conservative/liberal) really won per se.   The court ruled that the state violated the baker's rights based more on their antagonistic and openly biased anti-religious sentiment vs. it being a clear cut first amendment right to not bake a cake.  They seemed to really try to take a middle of the road approach, it will be interesting to see how they handle the florist's case out of Seattle next.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 12:48:24 PM »
Sounds like court is still refusing to set a precedent for the First Amendment, let alone the second most evil right ever, Freedom of Association.

(Gun rights are the most evil of all, of course.)

Sign.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 12:53:52 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2018/06/04/605003519/supreme-court-decides-in-favor-of-baker-over-same-sex-couple-in-cake-shop-case?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180604

The Court avoided making a decision on business owners denying services to gay people based on the religious belief of the business owners.  That may come in a subsequent case.  This was a narrow decision on the procedural aspects on how the state Civil Rights agency handled the baker's complaint.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 05:29:43 PM »
Yup, another decision that's alleged to be a win for liberty, but is really a bit of a mess. Like Heller.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/04/605003519/supreme-court-decides-in-favor-of-baker-over-same-sex-couple-in-cake-shop-case?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180604

The Court avoided making a decision on business owners denying services to gay people...

Actually, the business owner didn't refuse to serve homosexuals. He refused to decorate a cake in a particular way. Those are different things.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 06:26:51 PM »
Actually, the business owner didn't refuse to serve homosexuals. He refused to decorate a cake in a particular way. Those are different things.

This is something that is rarely brought up. They could have bought a couple of groom decorations (I think that was the issue? Or brides? I can't remember who's who in the LGBT wars anymore) for a couple of dollars on their own and still had the rest of the cake.

If I went to a bakery and wanted a birthday cake that includes AK-47 candles and they said no to the candles, I'd probably still buy the cake if I was going there for the quality of their product, then get the candles my own damn self.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 06:48:17 PM »
This is something that is rarely brought up. They could have bought a couple of groom decorations (I think that was the issue? Or brides? I can't remember who's who in the LGBT wars anymore) for a couple of dollars on their own and still had the rest of the cake.

If I went to a bakery and wanted a birthday cake that includes AK-47 candles and they said no to the candles, I'd probably still buy the cake if I was going there for the quality of their product, then get the candles my own damn self.

That's no way to be a hero of the resistance.   =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 06:53:04 PM »
The Court avoided making a decision on business owners denying services to gay people based on the religious belief of the business owners.  That may come in a subsequent case.  This was a narrow decision on the procedural aspects on how the state Civil Rights agency handled the baker's complaint.

Agreed.  Everything I've read so far indicates this was a narrow ruling that won't set much precedent for future cases.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 07:41:27 PM »
Agreed.  Everything I've read so far indicates this was a narrow ruling that won't set much precedent for future cases.

Also agreed. Nonetheless, it was a 7-2 decision, which must have liberal heads exploding all over the country.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 07:58:27 PM »
Nonetheless, it was a 7-2 decision, which must have liberal heads exploding all over the country.

That's probably one of the best things to come out of this given the circumstances and the parameters of the ruling - at least schadenfreude-wise. It's a lot harder to argue "conservative court!" when it's 7-2 vs 5-4.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:23:02 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 08:02:44 PM »
It's a lot harder to argue "conservative court!" when it's 7-2 vs 5-4.

The way the MSM is generally reporting it is as a "narrow victory" a couple of articles I read made no mention of the vote.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 09:30:50 PM »
I entirely agree on the 7-2 decision.  I've been grinning all day since I saw the spread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 10:41:25 PM »
Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor dissented,

A senile old bat and a "wise latina", why am I not surprised.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 02:52:15 AM »

We can only hope that Kennedy retires soon and we get another Gorsuch/Alito/Thomas type in his place.  Then if RBG or Breyer pass on (hey - it's got to happen to us all sometime) while Trump still has a solid R majority in the Senate we'll have the votes on the court to do some real good for a while.  And maybe even be able to survive a lib POTUS replacing Thomas eventually.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 09:01:08 AM »
The way the MSM is generally reporting it is as a "narrow victory" a couple of articles I read made no mention of the vote.

I guess that is more or less factual reporting. It was narrow as far as the scope of the ruling and if you leave out the 7-2 decision most people will think it was narrow by way of decision, something like 5-4. Many people won't be bothered by trying to find out any more because they believe it doesn't affect them.

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »
What I'd like to see is a case of some klansmen going to a black-owned bakery and asking for a cake to commemorate a cross burning . . . or maybe some of those neo-nazi knuckleheads going to a Jewish bakery and ordering a cake to celebrate Hitler's birthday or some such.

I'd REALLY like to see how liberals who came down against THIS baker (including Ginsberg and Sotomayor) would deal with a baker turning away someone who's really odious.

[popcorn]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »
What I'm shocked about is that Facebook isn't going absolutely apeshit about how this is Trump's fault and it's Nazi Fascism through and through. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »
Sounds like court is still refusing to set a precedent for the First Amendment, let alone the second most evil right ever, Freedom of Association.

(Gun rights are the most evil of all, of course.)

Sign.

The Civil Rights Act forever destroyed the right of Freedom of Association.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”