Author Topic: Parkland revisited  (Read 879 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Parkland revisited
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 12:05:29 AM »
He's the real victim, you know.  [barf]
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 02:52:47 AM »
The Coward of Broward is trying to spin the story his way:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/it-was-my-job-and-i-didnt-find-him-stoneman-douglas-resource-officer-remains-haunted-by-massacre/2018/06/04/796f1c16-679d-11e8-9e38-24e693b38637_story.html?utm_term=.db91db4a1a1c&wpisrc=al_news__alert-national&wpmk=1

OK, problems I'm seeing here that aren't Peterson:
  • They have eight unarmed guards and one SRO for a 45 acre campus, and the SRO doesn't rate his own golf cart.  Last site I had to do foot patrol on was 3 buildings on 40 acres, and I'd be hard pressed to guarantee 5 minute response to any point on it, especially given having to pass locked doors, lock other doors behind me, (I've yet to see a school with only one master key - usually you've got 2-3 exterior door masters that don't necessarily follow any logic as to what works where, some interior door masters with the same issue, (maybe limited crossover between the sets, depending on the last remodel) and then some padlock keys.  Finding the right key can take a few seconds at each door.) etc.
     Sounds like it was luck that one of the guards happened to be cruising by for him to even get a ride.
  • Their procedures suck.  Seven of the unarmed guards should have been handling the lockdown, clearing courtyards, etc.  The remaining one should have been shadowing the SRO as a second pair of eyes, ears and hands to clear students out, secure doors behind them, handle communications and generally watch his back while the SRO focuses entirely on finding and engaging the threat.  All these assignments should have been worked out beforehand and rehearsed repeatedly until only the SRO and his shadow are doing anything outside of a very simple script during the initial stage.
  • Once the lockdown is confirmed, some of the guards should be moving to perimeter positions, and others moving as needed to support the search and/or first aid, as directed by the shadowing guard.  Again, the fixed part of this should be completely scripted and practiced until they can lock their assigned doors and move to their next location in their sleep.
  • School clearly has some cameras; did they not have any in the halls, and someone who could pull up the feed to tell security where the threat is and confirm it's really a shooter?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 11:14:40 AM »
OK, problems I'm seeing here that aren't Peterson:
  • School clearly has some cameras; did they not have any in the halls, and someone who could pull up the feed to tell security where the threat is and confirm it's really a shooter?

You haven't been paying attention. Yes, they had cameras. But nobody (except maybe Peterson, and if he knew he didn't think to tell anyone at the time) realized that the cameras had a built-in 20-minute time delay. When the outside first responders arrived, one of them went to wherever the control room was located and used the video feeds to direct officers to to where he was seeing the shooter. Problem is, by that time the shooter was down the street, having a burger at McDonalds.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 11:28:50 AM »
As I see it, it's the duty of an armed guard - particularly a sworn officer like a sheriff's deputy - to intervene in dangerous situations. Hanging around outside (where it's safe) is reprehensible.

In the case of unarmed guards . . . I really don't blame them for running like hell when shooting breaks out.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »
I'd say the things the dude could do to himself, but they'd be far from polite and acceptable. A few of them for the vast majority of the population would also be anatomically impossible.

His current issues warrant zero sympathy imo.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 01:49:19 PM »
I was trying to think of all the issues I have heard about with Parkland.

1.  The officers did not enter the building immediately or even minutes later when more officers were available. 
1A.  This was not just on the one officer, but that decision was backed up by others once more people showed up who were also prevented from immediately entering. 
2.  The killer was a known felon that was never actually tagged with a felony even though he should have been.
3.  As mentioned, the security cameras were on a 20 minute delay that apparently very few people knew about. 

I am sure there are more, but I am drawing a blank.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 01:58:02 PM »
Really dumb question #5,936,886:

What the h3ll good are "security cameras" if they are on a 20 MINUTE DELAY??!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »
I heard it speculated that it was done that way to give someone an opportunity to revise or hide incidents that they didn't want to report.  Not sure how that was supposed to happen.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »
I heard it speculated that it was done that way to give someone an opportunity to revise or hide incidents that they didn't want to report.  Not sure how that was supposed to happen.

I have no idea how that would work, either, but it's really the only explanation that seems plausible. I literally can't think of any other reason for a 20 minute delay in video feed.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 04:20:48 PM »
If you're just using security cameras so you have evidence for later, which I assume is how most security cameras are used, then I guess it wouldn't hurt anything. Then again, how would it help?

If you're continuously monitoring the feed, then  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 05:41:25 PM »
If something happens, the person monitoring the cameras is told to go get a cup of coffee at the appropriate time so they don't have to report something happened. 

Best I can come up with.