Author Topic: Oh, what the hell have I gotten myself into..........  (Read 3249 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Oh, what the hell have I gotten myself into..........
« on: June 05, 2018, 01:33:15 AM »
SWMBO and I have agreed to get one of these for the girls:

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Oh, what the hell have I gotten myself into..........
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 02:44:31 AM »
Once built they're great for kids up to around 9-10.  You will want to restain it every couple of years to keep it in decent shape.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 03:21:29 AM »
I do wonder what the manufacturer is thinking though. The area that's supposed to be covered by cushioning according to the instructions is 31 feet by 28 feet. And would require 4+ TONS (depending on the product) of mulch at 4 inches deep....

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 03:44:12 AM »
Any standard liability release forms in your state?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 07:05:34 AM »
I do wonder what the manufacturer is thinking though. The area that's supposed to be covered by cushioning according to the instructions is 31 feet by 28 feet. And would require 4+ TONS (depending on the product) of mulch at 4 inches deep....
That is about eleven yards or so - should be a single truckload. Local place I’ve used for mulch and stone deliveries does up to 15 yards in a single axle trucks.

Of course, you’ll want it dumped near its final destination.

Just priced it out with my local company and it would be $400 delivered for their playground mulch product.

Don’t forget you’ll want to add mulch every year or two.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 07:22:56 AM »
I spend about $600/ year to have mine re-mulched with playground mulch. Make sure you are getting good playground mulch. Good mulch is actually chippings and not mulch, with no bark,dirt, stems, or sticks and it doesn't pack down. It's also more expensive than flower-bed mulch.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 08:17:20 AM »

Weird; we used hard packed dirt for "cushioning" under playground equipment when I was growing up.  A little blood every now and then helps keep the dust down.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
Weird; we used hard packed dirt for "cushioning" under playground equipment when I was growing up.  A little blood every now and then helps keep the dust down.

We had gravel.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 10:33:38 AM »
I believe I fell off the monkey bars as a very small kid.  I don't remember the ground causing an issue.  It was hitting other bars on the way down.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
The challenge will be keeping other kids away from it - and possibly being injured - especially when you're not around to supervise.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 11:38:22 AM »
The challenge will be keeping other kids away from it - and possibly being injured - especially when you're not around to supervise.

That's what the alligator moat with the drawbridge wrapped in det cord is for.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 11:56:20 AM »
My elementary school in Portland had regular asphalt under the monkey bars and other playground toys.  I don't recall there being too many broken bones.  Of course, that might explain the brain damaged behavior of the current residents of Portland.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 12:24:15 PM »
That's how the playgrounds were at the elementary school I went to were.

Some years later they pulled out the metal monkey bars, put in "activity centers" and put down mulch for cushioning.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 12:36:07 PM »
My elementary school in Portland had regular asphalt under the monkey bars and other playground toys.  I don't recall there being too many broken bones.  Of course, that might explain the brain damaged behavior of the current residents of Portland.

That's how the playgrounds were at the elementary school I went to were.

Some years later they pulled out the metal monkey bars, put in "activity centers" and put down mulch for cushioning.

My elementary school had the same as above.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 01:48:59 PM »
By "get one", do you mean "buy one and have it installed and built by pros,"  or do you mean "buy one and install/build it yourself?"  We bought and built the basic model swing set like that probably 14 years ago.  Directions sucked.  The "kit" had a lot of warped boards.  As a project, it sucked.  Hope the kits and directions have improved,  or you get to watch someone else do the build.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »
By "get one", do you mean "buy one and have it installed and built by pros,"  or do you mean "buy one and install/build it yourself?"  We bought and built the basic model swing set like that probably 14 years ago.  Directions sucked.  The "kit" had a lot of warped boards.  As a project, it sucked.  Hope the kits and directions have improved,  or you get to watch someone else do the build.

Oh, I get to level the yard, build the box for the mulch, and then attempt to follow the Engrish instructions. At least buying from Costco it has a great return policy.....

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 03:20:07 PM »
Oh, I get to level the yard, build the box for the mulch, and then attempt to follow the Engrish instructions. At least buying from Costco it has a great return policy.....

Well hell, I'm going to bring a sammich and a lawn chair and make a day of it! This ought to be fun!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 03:43:52 PM »
Don't forget the video camera.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »
Can the peanut gallery come over?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 05:52:39 PM »
Speaking of mulch and soft landings it recently came to my attention that my ten year old has never been on a merry go round. They do not exist as playground equipment anymore. Time to fire up the welder?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 07:16:07 PM »
Speaking of mulch and soft landings it recently came to my attention that my ten year old has never been on a merry go round. They do not exist as playground equipment anymore. Time to fire up the welder?

You mean elementary school centrifuges?  Oh,  definitely hit the fab shop,  your kid doesn't know what he's missing.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 09:52:53 PM »
At my elementary school the playground apparatus area was graced with these hard, black, rubber mats. They had virtually no give and got as hot as the asphalt.

All the apparatus was made out of steel and had no padding. We had a climbing cage, Olympic style rings, parallel bars (made of steel!), a couple of wide ladders-to-nowhere, and a an A-frame type structure made out of pipe that was almost impossible to climb on and get to the main beam which was too high up to jump to. Falling from it would have been quite injurious.

There was also a tether-ball pole right in the middle of it all but the staff never put a tether-ball on it so it was just a metal pole sticking out of the ground. And there was no slide.

On a hot day these things were unusable. On a wet day these things were unusable.

It was a play area designed by someone who was never a child, seen a child, knew what a child was, or cared to learn about children.

On the plus side it served quite well as a pirate island because there were not many tar-strips* that led to it, there were not many avenues to attack it as there were at the outside lunch tables or handball courts.

*You know when the asphalt cracks and the asphalt guys come out and patch it, it leaves tar-strip lines everywhere. Those you could walk on but the older asphalt was lava, obviously. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 12:17:38 AM »
Well hell, I'm going to bring a sammich and a lawn chair and make a day of it! This ought to be fun!

Come on over!  I'll put you to work!  :D

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 12:19:27 AM »
Can the peanut gallery come over?

See above   >:D :D

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 02:09:54 AM »
See above   >:D :D

Playing bachelor for a while.  Hmmm.  I can stuporvise.