Author Topic: Someone swatted Bradley Manning  (Read 1289 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Someone swatted Bradley Manning
« on: June 06, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
https://theintercept.com/2018/06/05/chelsea-manning-video-twitter-police-mental-health/

Someone called police, after seeing allegedly suicidal tweets from Mr. Manning, and they busted into his house, with guns in hand. He wasn't there.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:19:11 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Someone swatted Bradley Manning
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 06:40:40 PM »
Why don't police spokesperson learn to engage brain before putting mouth in gear?

“They responded to the address to check her welfare,” [Captain] Starks said. “Once inside the residence they realized that the residence did not match the photo that was posted on Twitter. … We tried to determine where she may be by attempting to use her phone but the phone was powered off and they weren’t able to leave a message.

Reality check -- if my cell phone is powered off, voice messages and text messages are collected by Verizon and I receive a notification when I power up the phone. Is there any cell phone provider that doesn't work this way?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 07:38:05 PM »
Reality check -- if my cell phone is powered off, voice messages and text messages are collected by Verizon and I receive a notification when I power up the phone. Is there any cell phone provider that doesn't work this way?
They probably meant they weren’t able to ping his phone for a location because it was off.

Police response to suicides isn’t usually productive.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 10:57:28 AM »
Guns drawn on a "wellness check."   ;/

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »
They probably meant they weren’t able to ping his phone for a location because it was off.

If that's what they meant, why didn't they, like, say that?

Police response to suicides isn’t usually productive.

Sure it is. If they shoot the person, they reduce the number of suicides significantly. Then they classify it as a justified, officer involved shooting, so their statistics look better -- doesn't get recorded as a suicide or as a murder. Win!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »
If that's what they meant, why didn't they, like, say that?
Maybe he misspoke, or maybe he did and his response was misunderstood. “... weren’t able to receive a message” might have been misheard by the reporter.

The “leave a message” doesn’t make sense in the context of determining his location anyway. Leaving a voicemail doesn’t get you someone’s location.

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »
I realize that some fraction of suicidal people may be dangerous to others, but if the police come at you with guns drawn and shining lights in your eyes, maybe they should rename the "crisis intervention unit" to "crisis initiation unit".
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »
I realize that some fraction of suicidal people may be dangerous to others, but if the police come at you with guns drawn and shining lights in your eyes, maybe they should rename the "crisis intervention unit" to "crisis initiation unit".
Agreed.  I think the best solution to the problem would be to protect police agencies from lawsuits for failure to intervene and then tell them that it isn't their job to protect people not already in their custody from themselves if no threat exists to anyone else.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=56428.0

In this case, they didn't even come at him.  They shot through the window.  Last update I saw said the local Dept cleared the officer.  No resolution that I heard of.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
I've read about multiple people shot by the cops after their relatives were stupid enough to call the police to "help" them.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 11:22:43 AM »
Suicide is illegal in most jurisdictions and the cops are willing and able kill someone to stop such a heinous crime from happening.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »
Suicide is illegal in most jurisdictions and the cops are willing and able kill someone to stop such a heinous crime from happening.

..................even if they don't really know that is happening, they just heard it from someone over the phone who claims to know them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge