Author Topic: Deerfield Village, IL. AW ban, firestorm commencing  (Read 1465 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Deerfield Village, IL. AW ban, firestorm commencing
« on: June 07, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
Deerfield Village, IL, assault weapons ban.  Passed back in April, IIRC, and went mostly unnoticed except for a couple of months except in gun rights circles. Given it goes into effect on 06/13 it looks like it's finally getting the negative interwebz coverage it deserves. Their Facebook page was pretty much unvisited... until now. Comments are running roughly 200:1 in favor of tar and feathering.

https://www.facebook.com/VillageofDeerfield/

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Deerfield Village, IL. AW ban, firestorm commencing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
Don't have Facebook - can't see comments.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:09:49 AM »
Happened back in April.  Lots of articles on it and the fact that other towns have pulled that BS.  Sample:

https://patch.com/illinois/deerfield/deerfield-gets-pro-bono-legal-defense-assault-weapon-ban-suits

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:35:04 AM »
What is the chance they might be voted out of office next election?  I don't know the area, but I imagine the voting participation in their local elections isn't that high.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »
From the article linked by 230RN:

Deerfield's ban takes effect June 13. At that point police who come into contact with prohibited weapons will have the power to able to "confiscate any assault weapon of any person charged with a violation" under the the ban. Residents would also be subject to daily fines of up to $1,000.

"We're not going to be going door to door," Rosenthal has said.

Why not? What's the point of a law that's not going to be enforced except by accident? If the purpose is to not have such "assault weapons" within the township, why would they not go door to door to confiscate them? Unless they do, any self-respecting, halfway intelligent school shooter will just keep his weapon of mass destruction under the mattress until he (or she) is ready to act. Once he (or she) has already shot up a school, how does it help for the police to be able to confiscate the weapon? They already have that power when a weapon is used in the commission of a crime.

Dumb.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »
From the article linked by 230RN:

Why not? What's the point of a law that's not going to be enforced except by accident? If the purpose is to not have such "assault weapons" within the township, why would they not go door to door to confiscate them? Unless they do, any self-respecting, halfway intelligent school shooter will just keep his weapon of mass destruction under the mattress until he (or she) is ready to act. Once he (or she) has already shot up a school, how does it help for the police to be able to confiscate the weapon? They already have that power when a weapon is used in the commission of a crime.

Dumb.

Stop trying to apply logic to this nonsense. There is none to be found.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 11:50:11 AM »
Sorry. Mea culpa=(

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »
Well, it's the same logic that applied with the Sullivan Act in New York, and other places.  Just as an example.

Make it illegal, pick up a bunch of known violators, give them outrageous punishments, do the same over the years with catching every-once-in-a-while cases and nailing them to the wall with rusty railroad spikes.

And here we are now, with New Yorkers viewing any firearms issues with absolutely visceral reactions.

So it works.  And the antigunners are extremely patient and persistent.

Rinse and repeat.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 03:41:38 PM »
Well, it's the same logic that applied with the Sullivan Act in New York, and other places.  Just as an example.

Make it illegal, pick up a bunch of known violators, give them outrageous punishments, do the same over the years with catching every-once-in-a-while cases and nailing them to the wall with rusty railroad spikes.

And here we are now, with New Yorkers viewing any firearms issues with absolutely visceral reactions.

So it works.  And the antigunners are extremely patient and persistent.

Rinse and repeat.
They aren't patient IMO, but very persistent.  Voters can be very short sighted and gun owners are always reluctant to get involved and rock the boat.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »
This is going to be short-lived.  The state passed pre-emption as part of the 2013 CCW bill.  It will simply end up costing Deerfield taxpayers $$$ to 1) defend and 2) to pay the ISRA's lawyers when they lose in court.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 06:36:11 PM »
It will simply end up costing Deerfield taxpayers $$$ to 1) defend and 2) to pay the ISRA's lawyers when they lose in court.
I hope it costs Deerfield taxpayers many, MANY dollars - perhaps it will be a teachable moment showing them there ARE consequences to voting the wrong people into office.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain