Author Topic: Honda bringing back a couple of classics  (Read 1911 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Honda bringing back a couple of classics
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:43:01 AM »
Honda is bringing the Super Cub and Trail back (though I think they've screwed up on the Trail by calling this new iteration the "Monkey"). The hipsters will be all over them, though they will probably find a fair bit of traction among racers and sports types as pit, tailgating, and camping bikes.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/06/08/honda-super-cub-best-selling-vehicle-all-time-returns-to-usa.html

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Honda bringing back a couple of classics
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:12:55 AM »
I like the Super Cub, but I have no need or use for one. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 10:16:18 AM »
The Mini Trails were originally called Monkey bikes back in the 60s/70s. The first one was imported into the states in 1968, the Z50A.

Here is the 1970 version:

When you were tired of meeting the nicest people you could go away from them for some solitude. ;)

A 1970 Monkey just sold at one of the big auctions (Meecum) for close to 4k, it was in mint condition.

bob

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:33:38 AM by BobR »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:27:30 AM »
when I was a kid, we had that little 70 Bob posted and we took it camping, mounted to the back of the truck /cabover camper combo. It was a hoot at the campsites.

I also one time in the early 80s traded an old pistol for the Trail 90, which resembles that Super Cub, but more off-road oriented. That one was fun too. The previous owner, my old boss in the oil patch, had painted the name "The Bone Crusher" on it, due to the injuries his family racked up.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 10:47:42 AM »
The trail 90 (and later 110 iirc) were real off-road machines. Centrifugal clutch and hi lo range 4x2 gears.
I remember my cousin coming off the mountain into deer camp on one. (We had 2 at one time) he had a 4x4 whitetail onboard with its head lashed to the front rack, neck over the handlebars and hind lashed to the rear rack. Cousin was riding high in the saddle up on top of the deer. We watched his headlight wobbling closer for a long time trying to figure out what was going on.
My son in law bought an original 110 last year in excellent condition and a one owner. Had the tool kit and spare gas tank, only thing that didn't work was the 6v headlight which apparently is not available.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
I had a SuperCub back in the late 70's and early 80's.  It was called the C70/Passport then.  I rode it from the U-District in Seattle to my job on Pill Hill for several years back when I was at the UW. As reliable as all get-out, and I could do all the maintenance myself.  A great bike.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 12:52:18 PM »
A really old super cub was the first motorcycle I rode (my former BIL found it in a barn, and brought it up to the family cabin).
$3500-4000 seems sort of steep in the recent motorcycle market though...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 10:47:40 PM »
Had a Cub 50 when they were still sold new and the original "Monkey" as well. Dad was a sales rep and they were his demo bikes. I wore them OUT!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
A really old super cub was the first motorcycle I rode (my former BIL found it in a barn, and brought it up to the family cabin).
$3500-4000 seems sort of steep in the recent motorcycle market though...

Those are MSRP, so the street price should be lower.  I'd guess well under $3,000 for the base model.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 08:34:50 PM »
Here in Japan I sometimes see people cruising around on the Monkey and another one called a Gorilla. Had never seen them before until here. Want to pick one up, although I've never ridden on a motorcycle before. Just think they look neat. lol
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 06:23:03 PM »
I don't see this succeeding.

The original Cub was 50cc, legally a moped. You could ride it with a regular license, or no license, in some places.

These things are 125, meaning they require MC plates and and an MC endorsement. Once you go through the trouble of getting the endorsement, why would you get a tiny bike like that? I don't think it's highway-capable.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »
why would you get a tiny bike like that? I don't think it's highway-capable.

City driving.  For fun and giggles. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 08:58:25 PM »
I wish they'd bring back the CB250/CB350 twins.

They make a somewhat nice CB125, but it's styled a bit too much like a crotch rocket wannabe -- and AFAIK it's not available in CONUS.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 09:08:00 PM »
Here's an even better one, also not imported into the U.S. The original is a Honda, but there are Chinese copies of it all over South America under a dozen or so different brand names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX4RYxah0eA

One of the Chinese Honda clones:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:44:02 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design