Author Topic: Recommendations for thorn-proof gloves  (Read 2164 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Recommendations for thorn-proof gloves
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 04:58:27 PM »

Anyone else remembers these guys?

Worthless!  The staples were always catching on the concertina.  Plain old work gloves worked better, you just needed fast hands.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 11:34:27 PM »
Tordon RTU is pretty effective at killing stuff.  I had a bamboo grove (50+ canes) I cut down leaving an inch or two and squirted tordon into each cane.  Only a couple of new sprouts in the last 3 weeks.

Tordon RTU will also kill all the evergreens as it leaches through the soil.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 10:40:13 AM »
I am very very cautious in using lawn/plant chemicals due to our water well.  I don't want to run the risk of contaminating our aquifer.  Most of the neighbors are the same way.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »
I am very very cautious in using lawn/plant chemicals due to our water well.  I don't want to run the risk of contaminating our aquifer.  Most of the neighbors are the same way.

There are quite a few you can use that won't leech into your aquifer. I'm a big fan of using Round up concentrate and painting it onto fresh cut woody stems with a brush That is right on the label.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 03:06:03 PM »
Search for something ANSI/ISEA Punture Level 5 (be advised, cut resistance and puncture resistance are independent ratings). Probably spendy, but maybe worth it in your situation.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2018, 03:12:06 PM »
Tordon RTU will also kill all the evergreens as it leaches through the soil.

Hence the scalding suggestion; I know I've seen something out there that was basically designed to spray ~200F water for some other industrial purpose, and I've used just-under-boiling water to wilt weeds, then seen them turning brown the next day.  Of course, as it cools, it's just watering the desirable plants six inches away.

I would assume the reason there's not some sort of hot water weed sprayer on the consumer market is because some idiot would manage to severely scald himself or his kids with it through sheer stupidity and sue the crap out of the manufacturer no matter how many safeties and warnings it came with.  OTOH, if you're bright enough to keep pressures low, fittings tight, the spray area clear of people and pets, inspect hoses regularly and use a spray wand too long to accidentally hit your own body, it should be a viable solution.