Author Topic: Moar judges mucking up the legal system  (Read 596 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Moar judges mucking up the legal system
« on: June 10, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/federal-judge-temporarily-blocks-deportation-pizza-worker-004849485.html

Ecuadorian who was supposed to leave in 2010 didn't. He got arrested, and now a Judge has blocked his deportation. WHY?

Villavicencio's wife, Sandra Chica, is an American citizen and their daughters, ages 2 and 3, were born in the U.S.

I wonder when he got married. He was supposed to have left in 2010, so his children were born 5 and 6 years after he shouldn't have been here. So I don't see that as a mitigating factor. And I'll bet he married after he was supposed to have gone, as well.

Haskins [Legal Aid attorney] said attorneys worked through the night preparing the emergency stay request that was argued in court on Saturday afternoon.

"Although we are disappointed that Pablo will remained detained, today's stay is a victory for him and his family, and also for due process and the fair administration of justice," said Gregory Copeland, the supervising attorney of Legal Aid's Immigration Law Unit. "This decision is also a reminder that the judiciary can still serve as a powerful check when other branches of government make hasty, cruel and reckless decisions."
How is helping someone who has violated the law in any way a victory for justice? What's "hasty, cruel and reckless" about enforcing an eight-year-old order?

This is what Trump (and we) are facing as we try to get some control over illegal aliens in the U.S.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
Re: Moar judges mucking up the legal system
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 12:00:35 PM »
Agreed.

The FEELZ is always their reason for blowing off the law.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 03:19:11 PM »
Relax.  This is just a stay pending completion of the current litigation.  They toss the guy now, makes it harder for the court to resolve  the current case.  While the guy's lawyers may be doing cartwheels over this, it's meaningless in the long run. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »
Too, this is being left out of many of the latest editions of the news. I am sure it has no bearing on the hasty ruling though.

Judge Nathan was appointed by President Barack Obama in 2011. From 2009 to 2010, she served as special assistant to Mr. Obama and was an associate White House counsel.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/09/nyregion/deportation-new-york-pizza-delivery-man-brooklyn.html

bob

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 09:31:01 AM »
Again, hold off before leaping to any conclusions about this being some anti-Trump, anti-conservative, pro-illegal immigration conspiracy.  It is routine for a judge in a case to issue temporary stays.  A judge wants a defendant to stay in the jurisdiction. 

One other thing.  This morning, HLN reported that the subject was never legally deported, but entered some type of voluntary agreement to go back to Ecuador something like 8-10 years ago.  Now, I know nothing about immigration law, but I don't know if this was done as a settlement to a deportation hearing, or what.  Makes me wonder what put this guy on someone's radar to get a warrant issued, which is apparently how he got picked up trying to deliver pizzas at the Army base.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark