Author Topic: $10,000 to remove a stuck case  (Read 1293 times)

brimic

• friends
$10,000 to remove a stuck case
« on: June 10, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/10k-to-change-a-barrel-/5-2117189/

This is peak douchebaggery from a ‘gun smith.’
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: $10,000 to remove a stuck case
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 12:18:34 PM »
Just "Wow!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »
Any executive summary on this without reading through that whole thread?

Seems like it could either be a guy with a rare / specialized weapon, or more likely, given that somewhat reasonable cost for the ammo, a common weapon and an attempted ripoff by the gunsmith. I don't even know what "toning" is, but when it costs more than some Purdeys,  I question it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 12:25:28 PM »
Any executive summary on this without reading through that whole thread?

Seems like it could either be a guy with a rare / specialized weapon, or more likely, given that somewhat reasonable cost for the ammo, a common weapon and an attempted ripoff by the gunsmith. I don't even know what "toning" is, but when it costs more than some Purdeys,  I question it.
I think it’s a Browning 1919. New barrels are only a few hundred dollars and are relatively easy to change.

Here’s a video of the *expletive deleted*bag in action.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fAYa9s4dUaM

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »
Yeah, the video doesn't do the gunsmith any favors.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 01:31:34 PM »
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/10k-to-change-a-barrel-/5-2117189/

This is peak douchebaggery from a ‘gun smith.’

Saw the pic, floating around the "Internet gunsphere", haven't read the thread.

I wonder if that's not a "pompous a*****e surcharge".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »
Read the whole thread (whew!).  Looks like a case of stacked errors adding up from both parties.  1) The smith is way out of his league.  2) Who sends their MG to a smith that they only know from some IMs on a website without some further research?  3) If both parties had a better grasp of English, this may never have happened.  4) Written estimates = good thing.  5) Notifying your customer when costs are going to skyrocket = good thing. 

And on and on.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
Saw the pic, floating around the "Internet gunsphere", haven't read the thread.

I wonder if that's not a "pompous a*****e surcharge".

That is my thought.  Or maybe dumbass1 + dumbass2 = $10,000.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 07:27:46 PM »
Yeah, the video doesn't do the gunsmith any favors.  :laugh:

Yeah, I don't think I'd let that guy work on a hi point... Much less anything of actual value...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 08:25:04 PM »
I've read that this gunsmith is known for pulling this type of stuff.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 08:25:28 PM »
Using my accidental double post to make a second post.  =D

To quote someone from the arfcom link, I think this guy probably has it figured out:
I don't know either one of these guys nor do I have a stake in this.

Sounds like (aka my educated guess):

1. Owner bought aircraft MG which has very high cyclic rate and thin barrel profile because its made to be fired in the slip stream of an aircraft for cooling.
2.Owner wants gun not to over heat when shooting and looks for gunsmith that can make a custom barrel in a heavier profile for gun.
3.Gunsmith who has worked on some 1919A4 guns in the past takes job with no clue on what he is getting into with a MG40.
4.Gunsmith starts *expletive deleted*ing with gun thinking he can take a 1919A4 barrel and fit it to gun.
5.Gunsmith, not owning head space gauges (read the post, moron is doing barrel work without head space gauges), has a case head separation possibly blowing the feed cover off and bending it like a banana.

6.Gunsmith now in a panic state starts trying to find new top cover to replace the one he destroyed.
7.Gunsmith keeps tinkering with gun and by shear luck finally figures out that he has added a lot of mass to the system and needs to further restrict the booster diameter.
8.Gunsmith finally gets gun to run enough for him to think he can get rid of it back to the owner.
9.Owner brings in new barrel jacket that is from a different country's MG40 gun contract and its a different length. (this step may have been before #3 and the owner brought him a 1919A4 barrel jacket so it will fit a larger diameter barrel since the MG40 jacket is small in diameter. if this is the case, the value of the gun may have been ruined by the mods.)

10.Gunsmith is now in round 2 trying to get gun to work and modify the new barrel jacket to the same length as old one.
11.Gunsmith finally after 6 months is done and has a gun that runs, has a too high of recoil impulse and will blow out the rear plate soon but is ready to get paid.
12.Gunsmith is looking at all the time he spent trying to be a wannbe John Moses Browning and reengineer a perfectly good gun, all the ammo he used to test his various attempts and the cost of a new top cover and comes up with a bill to cover it all.
13.Owner gets bill and gets pissed but must know some of the issues encountered since he is already agreed to try to buy off the gunsmith with double the original estimate.
14.Mr. wannbe JMB does not want to lose all that time and money and figures he has the gun so he has leverage but kindly drops $2K off his beginners guide on machine guns for gunsmiths.
15.Owner takes to the NFA facebook page in which the only thing that ever gets posted are dumbasses using their suppressors as fake dicks for pictures.
16.The internet being what it is, spreads this to other gun forums and people who have no clue and are outraged at the price even though they have never owned a gun worth $5K much less a transferable beltfed.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:54:42 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »
^That actually makes sense of the matter, though doesn't make the gun smith look any better ^

Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 11:07:31 AM »
I know a legitimate gunsmith who only works on military full-auto firearms.* I may run this by him for laughs.

* One corner of his shop is occupied by a trailer, on which is mounted a fully function quad-50 anti-aircraft gun that he takes all over the country to machine gun shoots.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 04:35:56 PM »

Here’s a video of the *expletive deleted*bag in action.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fAYa9s4dUaM

"Ooh, I cooked off one?"   

No, you have poor trigger discipline.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
^That actually makes sense of the matter, though doesn't make the gun smith look any better ^

Sort of; anyone who knows their way around a machine shop should be able to turn out a fully functioning barrel for pretty near anything in a lot less than 50 hours.  I'm not sure Hershel House spends that long coal forging and hand boring a barrel.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 05:22:16 PM »
Sort of; anyone who knows their way around a machine shop should be able to turn out a fully functioning barrel for pretty near anything in a lot less than 50 hours.  I'm not sure Hershel House spends that long coal forging and hand boring a barrel.

I wouldn't go so far as to say anyone, but it seems like someone well-trained with modern equipment would be able to do it a lot faster. I have no expertise in the area, but it seems like if you set stuff up and punch the buttons on the computer it would be more like a few hours, no?

Or else if you don't have the expertise and the proper equipment, you sub it to someone who does, and inform the customer. Whatever fault the customer may have, it certainly sounds like this gunsmith got into something way over his head and ended up using the customer's gun as a teaching aid for himself, while charging the customer for the education.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »
I wouldn't go so far as to say anyone, but it seems like someone well-trained with modern equipment would be able to do it a lot faster. I have no expertise in the area, but it seems like if you set stuff up and punch the buttons on the computer it would be more like a few hours, no?

Or else if you don't have the expertise and the proper equipment, you sub it to someone who does, and inform the customer. Whatever fault the customer may have, it certainly sounds like this gunsmith got into something way over his head and ended up using the customer's gun as a teaching aid for himself, while charging the customer for the education.

You said it much more nicely than I would have.

At the rate of $100 an hour, I'd expect expertise done in a timely manner and 50 hours on one barrel does not qualify.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 04:32:34 AM »

Computer?  We're talking a M1919 here.  Your average Khyber Pass "gunsmith" should be able to turn out a complete one from old truck parts with a charcoal forge and hand tools in not much more than 50 hours.  Making those barrels is quite literally century old technology.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 08:49:58 AM »

I would expect the setup time to take more than the actual machining, considering that he almost certainly started with a barrel blank, and machined it down to a finished contour.

I think places like Krieger or Bartlein charge a few hundred, at most, to change a barrel contour.

Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »
At 50 hours he better have started with bar stock and then rolled a heat shroud from flat steel.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 12:40:58 PM »
Over on the Arfcom thread someone pointed out that the "gunsmith's" home address is a trailer park and the business address is a storefront. No real space for a machine shop.... Of course I suppose he could have one of those harbor fright bench lathes, which might in turn explain the 50 hours of labor....

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy