Author Topic: The connected society  (Read 826 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
The connected society
« on: June 10, 2018, 01:32:49 PM »
The daughter of a friend here in town has enlisted in the Army. She leaves for Basic Training later this month, and yesterday (Saturday) they gave a big going-away party for her. It was mostly extended family, but -- perhaps because I'm a veteran -- I received an invitation and I made certain to attend. I've never seen or heard anything to suggest that the young lady has a "boyfriend," but awhile after I arrived a young man showed up and, thereafter, the young lady seemed to spend all her time in his company. I couldn't help noticing that, at one point, the young lady went off to the table where all the women seemed to have congregated. As soon as she walked away from him, the young man's cell phone came out. He alternated between the screen and glancing over at the table where the women were doing whatever it is that women do in large groups. As soon as the young lady headed back in his direction, the cell phone was put away.

I suppose it should be viewed as a positive that he was at least polite enough to not be absorbed in the phone while in the company of the young lady, but it just struck me as a sign of the times when a guy is spending the afternoon with a pretty girl (she IS attractive) and the first thing on his mind if she wanders away for a couple of minutes is to check his phone. I had my phone with me, but it never occurred to me to check for messages while the party was going on.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: The connected society
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »
We had a graduation party for my son yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of phone use (except for picture taking).  Maybe the world isn't doomed yet...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »
He was checking Tinder for after the party....

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 03:18:19 PM »

:rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »
*shrug* being the anti social type, I will admit that if I'm at some sort of social gathering where I don't know anyone but a few other people and those people are occupied with other people, I will engage in cell phone browsing.

And before cell phones were a thing, I'd have a book to read or find a dog to play with.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 05:16:44 PM »

And before cell phones were a thing, I'd have a book to read or find a dog to play with.

I used to do basically the same thing. If there was a dog or kid to play with,  I would do that vs getting bogged down in conversations about nothing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »

Win.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »

Jody is always on the prowl.  Always.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 02:04:02 PM »
Jody is always on the prowl.  Always.

This....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »
General rule, unless I get an important message (kids, mom, etc.) or the phone is relevant to the conversation, (showing photos, looking up something we're discussing) the phone is used roughly as much as I used to check my watch, and generally for the same reasons.  (Either I or we have somewhere to be, or I'm looking for an excuse to escape.)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 12:26:41 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?