Author Topic: News Flash ! Supremes allow Ohio to purge voter lists, left goes psychotic  (Read 2813 times)

Andiron

• friend

3) It's also great for people that work and can't or have a hard time getting to the polls on election day, especially around here where so many people commute into Chicago.  (Leave early and come back late).

Failing to see the downside there  >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
1)  I worked both early voting and election day this last election.  There would still be people in line to vote if everyone had to wait until election day to vote.  As it was during early voting we had lines 30-40+ deep all day, every day.

This; I've made the mistake of waiting until Election Day to go vote, and what would have been a 5 minute process on the second day of early voting was over an hour because of the line.

I would prefer if no results were published until all of them are in, though; more than once we've lost turnout in local elections due to someone having a solid lead in early voting, then they lost when the Election Day turnout was 90+% against them entirely because so many of their voters figured they didn't need to bother, and the opponent knew exactly how many they needed to drum up.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Early voting is different from mail-in, absentee ballots. Election day should be election day, not election week or election month. If you can't make it to the polling place on election day, get an absentee ballot and mail it in. But absentee ballots should not be opened or counted until election day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Forgot to use spell chack again, eh?  :old:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006011003999&guccounter=1

Another example of too great a reliance on what some internet site says.  Kitty bar the door may be a regionalism, and I prefer it even though I'm well aware of the more common "Katy bar the door."

See:

http://www.yourdictionary.com/kitty-bar-the-door

I was delighted that at last someone added the definition of "recipe" to the word "receipt," which is (or was) a regionalism in the southeastern states, with cookbooks entitled "Receipts," according to my personal experience of dining in Georgia.

(I finally found that particular "receipt" regionalism in the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, which is slowly gathering my respect.)

Terry

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:29:39 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

No.  :P  

Receipt for recipe might be a regionalism now, but I think that may be a recent development. On Downton Abbey (set in early 20th-century England), the characters would occasionally refer to "receipts" for cooking. (Though I suppose they may be pronouncing "recipe" as "ress-eep.") When my wife took her Victorian mansion cooking class, in Wisconsin, they told us the recipes would have been called "receipts" during the period.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Failing to see the downside there  >:D

Republicans work in Chicago and live in the Suburbs.  Democrats live in Chicago.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Early voting is different from mail-in, absentee ballots. Election day should be election day, not election week or election month. If you can't make it to the polling place on election day, get an absentee ballot and mail it in. But absentee ballots should not be opened or counted until election day.

And we'd still be counting absentee ballots.

I will point out out that in order to early vote in Illinois, you have to produce ad valid state ID showing your current address since the early polling places are "county wide" as opposed to just your precinct where you give us your name, we look you up in the book, tear out the application to vote and then compare that your current signature matches the signature from you registered to vote.

Also early voting machines are not downloaded until election day.  We check the counts on each machine (by serial number) both morning and night to make sure they match.  The room is secured over night and the county provides security.   That way early voting has no influence on election day turnout as no one knows any vote totals.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.