Author Topic: Interesting bit on the U-2 spy plane  (Read 1537 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Interesting bit on the U-2 spy plane
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:35:42 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Interesting bit on the U-2 spy plane
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:55:42 AM »
In the late 70's or early 80's my dad developed an anti-static coating for the film used in applications like that.  Dramatically cut the rate at which photos were lost to static discharge before being developed.  That was one of the dozen or so patents he got while working for Kodak.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 01:38:39 AM »
All this high altitude observation stuff suddenly got a little personal for me a couple of weeks ago.  I was scanning around in the so-called "satellite view" and decided to check out my parking lot, which I do just for grins.

Swoop, swoop, closeup, closeup.

As usual, my little red Subaru was sitting in my regular spot, but there was something wrong.  There was something black on the hood.  I suddenly realized it was a big black trash bag.  I usually  put trash on the hood while I drive over to the dumpster to get rid of it, then go on my errands.

It was maybe a week before that I had taken out a lot of trash in a much bigger black bag.  Holy Cow, I must have been in the car and just about to pull out at that moment.

A ittle more resolution and I could have fingered the "satellite."

No big deal, but it just made all this recon stuff a wee bit more "personal" somehow.  You know, it was my car and my trash bag it was looking at.

Snoops.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:56:27 AM by 230RN »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 09:56:32 AM »
This is a really good book about the U2 and the SR71.

https://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Personal-Memoir-Lockheed/dp/0316743003
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »
All this high altitude observation stuff suddenly got a little personal for me a couple of weeks ago.  I was scanning around in the so-called "satellite view" and decided to check out my parking lot, which I do just for grins.

Swoop, swoop, closeup, closeup.

As usual, my little red Subaru was sitting in my regular spot, but there was something wrong.  There was something black on the hood.  I suddenly realized it was a big black trash bag.  I usually  put trash on the hood while I drive over to the dumpster to get rid of it, then go on my errands.

It was maybe a week before that I had taken out a lot of trash in a much bigger black bag.  Holy Cow, I must have been in the car and just about to pull out at that moment.

A ittle more resolution and I could have fingered the "satellite."

No big deal, but it just made all this recon stuff a wee bit more "personal" somehow.  You know, it was my car and my trash bag it was looking at.

Snoops.

Terry, 230RN

This really should have ended: "And then I saw the hook hanging from my door handle!"
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 02:19:27 PM »
^

"Always leave them laughing hanging."

( :rofl: )

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 05:00:55 PM »
On Amazon prime a most excellent ride:  https://www.amazon.com/James-May-at-Edge-Space/dp/B01CT7340E

James May from (the real) Top Gear goes for a ride.  Interesting fact about how close the maximum speed and stall speed are at altitude.

If you don't Prime there are clips on YouTube

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 05:45:59 PM »
On Amazon prime a most excellent ride:  https://www.amazon.com/James-May-at-Edge-Space/dp/B01CT7340E

James May from (the real) Top Gear goes for a ride.  Interesting fact about how close the maximum speed and stall speed are at altitude.

If you don't Prime there are clips on YouTube

Yeah, but you've got 13 miles to recover.   >:D =D

Good to see you participating, Big Hairy Bee.

Terry

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 07:24:44 PM »
This is a really good book about the U2 and the SR71.

https://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Personal-Memoir-Lockheed/dp/0316743003

Couldn't resist this one.  It's on the way in paperback.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 07:15:55 AM »
Nasa still flies a couple U2's.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 12:18:30 PM »
Nasa still flies a couple U2's.

They (NASA) had one at Moffett Field when I was stationed there. Pretty impressive to watch take off or land. I was 7 miles from the end of the runway right on centerline so I saw everything that flew into Moffett. I would retract the landing lights so they were pointing down at the house whenever there was a chance the kids were outside, but that is another drift.

I was on a hot backup (plane ready to go, only needed to start engines) for a VIP flight one day when the U2 took off. I followed him through all of his frequency changes as he climbed out at what looked like a 60 degree climb. I would swear to this day that he was at 10K feet either at the end of our 8K foot runway or pretty close to it. It took him 23 minutes from takeoff until he cleared with ATC into uncontrolled airspace at 60K. Pretty impressive for a farm boy like me who flew around in a war pig that could barely get above 21k when fully loaded @ 139,000 lbs. ;)

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 12:40:53 PM »
:D

Jes' fer grins (see emoticon above), I looked up atmospheric pressure at 70K feet.  0.65 or so psi, 93.6 pounds per square foot.

Wing loading ~40 pounds per square foot, depending.

OK, I guess it should fly.

See emoticon below:

:D

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 10:45:32 AM »
I got to do an "up close and personal" on one of the NASA ER-2s in the hangar back when I was doing some UAS work at Dryden. One of the things I remember noticing as almost an incongruity was looking around in the cockpit of this "high tech" aircraft of the time (and of even now in many respects) and seeing the exposed control surface cables. Seemed almost Steampunk. :)

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 08:31:19 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 01:11:13 PM »
I got to do an "up close and personal" on one of the NASA ER-2s in the hangar back when I was doing some UAS work at Dryden. One of the things I remember noticing as almost an incongruity was looking around in the cockpit of this "high tech" aircraft of the time (and of even now in many respects) and seeing the exposed control surface cables. Seemed almost Steampunk. :)

Covers add weight.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 06:57:03 AM »
Takeoff procedures.  Note chase car, ground crew ops, dropaway "pogo" wheels.

https://youtu.be/xZ6hwzGs8O0 (3:22)

When they land, there are titanium wingtip skids and a bunch of guys pile out of a van and run to pick up the wings to re-install the pogo wheels.  Then the plane can drive off to wherever they park it.