Author Topic: The tolerance of Google  (Read 4624 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The tolerance of Google
« on: June 13, 2018, 04:28:31 PM »
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I am just now reading it.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/01/10/19-insane-tidbits-james-damores-lawsuit-googles-office-environment/

It quotes internal communication between Google employees, making explicit just how intolerant they are of non-crazy-left viewpoints.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The tolerance of Google
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:54:25 PM »
"Headmates"?

My initial thought must be that this refers to waking up next to a different head every morning. But then I realized that this is a CIS, heterosexual, privileged, white male, Christian, hate-oriented interpretation. Obviously, then, "headmates" must refer to the several personas living within one physical head.

How could I have been so blind?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:03:10 PM »
Sounds like he was working for Google 1984.  I think this is an interesting window into what leftists would want to create in the entire country if they had unchecked power.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:04:09 PM »
“If we really care about diversity in tech, we don’t just need to chase serial offenders out of Google, we need to discourage them all throughout the industry,”

Right. In the holy name of Diversity, we must eliminate anything that doesn't coincide with our (extremely eccentric and out-of-synch with reality) viewpoint.

All hail Diversity!

Who here still uses Google as a search engine? I long ago switched to Duckduckgo -- not only is it NOT GOOGLE, Duckduckgo doesn't track your search history (or so they say). Same with Chrome. I happen to find the Chrome user interface brain dead and unusable anyway, but there are other browsers. Vote with your feet. Choose a different browser, and encourage all your friends and family to do likewise.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »
Uhhh...

“For instance, an employee who sexually identifies as ‘a yellow-scaled wingless dragonkin’ and ‘an expansive ornate building’ presented a talk entitled ‘Living as a Plural Being’ at an internal company event.”
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 05:22:08 PM »
Who here still uses Google as a search engine? I long ago switched to Duckduckgo -- not only is it NOT GOOGLE, Duckduckgo doesn't track your search history (or so they say). Same with Chrome. I happen to find the Chrome user interface brain dead and unusable anyway, but there are other browsers. Vote with your feet. Choose a different browser, and encourage all your friends and family to do likewise.

For search, I mainly use DDG and Bing. Bing's actually better, in some respects. Or at least I've gotten so used to it, I just don't like Google that much anymore.

That being said, Google Maps is really hard to beat. I tried Bing maps, but they insist on this very low-contrast color scheme. Idiots. I'll have to see if I can replace G-Maps with Waze.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 05:27:27 PM »
Mapquest is still out there, but I don't care for it much. But if all you want/need is navigation, it gets the job done.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 05:58:15 PM »
Yes, Google maps is hard to beat, especially with email, calendar, etc. integration between devices.  I would have switched away from Google a while ago if it was just my computer, but the Android integration has kept me with them despite knowing their general policies.

That said, the more crap like what is in the link comes out, the more I detest using a product from a company that employees that many aholes that apparently hate me and everything I believe, and who would be happy to see me dead.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 12:28:42 AM »
I'll have to see if I can replace G-Maps with Waze.

Google owns Waze.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 12:37:14 AM »

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 01:10:19 AM »
Truly this is the darkest timeline.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:58:09 AM »
Speaking of Google. With my current exploring of Japan and shrine visiting, I decided to re-download Google Earth in order to use it to mark places I've been and where to go, you can really do quite a lot with Google Earth. Found out that they scrapped their photo service they were using called Panoramio. It was pretty awesome and apparently had a pretty strong community. People would geotag their photos and upload them to it so you could use Google Earth to do a lot of exploring. Now it's replaced with a new thing where people can't do that but instead a photo has to be tied to a single "Point Of Interest", ie. a business. So there goes any way to look up photos out in the middle of nowhere and this has also meant that there are very few photos to see. And like to taunt you they still leave the option there to show where the old photos had been but when you click one you get a message saying that the feature is no longer available.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 06:44:20 AM »
I love crap like this...

"In one thread, employees discussed at length whether Trump’s win meant it’s time for a violent revolution. “How do people cope with this?” one employee wrote. “I’ve never been part of a military or war effort before. … I don’t know how useful I’ll be.”

Bring it, ass clowns. It's the thing I second most wish for, right after a zombie apocalypse.

"if you vote for Donald Trump because of his economic policy or because you feel the other party is corrupt, then what you’re saying is that economics is more important than the safety of your peers."

I don't give a *expletive deleted*it about the safety of my peers. It's up to them to provide for their own safety. That's why we have a Second Amendment.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 08:47:03 AM »
"if you vote for Donald Trump because of his economic policy or because you feel the other party is corrupt, then what you’re saying is that economics is more important than the safety of your peers."

I don't give a *expletive deleted*it about the safety of my peers. It's up to them to provide for their own safety. That's why we have a Second Amendment.

Funny that we're talking Orwell, because that word "safety" is straight out of Newspeak.

They are never talking about actual physical protection from harm. What they mean is "safe from being made to feel bad for my own poor choices."

"Safety", right.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 09:01:09 AM »
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »
Funny that we're talking Orwell, because that word "safety" is straight out of Newspeak.

They are never talking about actual physical protection from harm. What they mean is "safe from being made to feel bad for my own poor choices."

"Safety", right.

Most of the time. One of the talking points is an alleged spike in "hate crimes," because Trump.

Of course, even if there's been an increase in such things, hate crimes aren't always violent.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 10:51:25 AM »
Oh, and for those looking to drop google maps, I've found "HERE WEgo" is a good alternative. It made an impression on me when there was a major traffic backup and it routed me onto an exit that paralleled the interstate and dropped me back onto the interstate 1-2 miles ahead of where I was. (still dealing with the backup, but a lot less of it.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »

Most of the time. One of the talking points is an alleged spike in "hate crimes," because Trump.

Of course, even if there's been an increase in such things, hate crimes aren't always violent.

But it's all in the spin. And the way they spin it now, if I see a guy (or gal) named Lopez waving a Mexican flag and I ask, "Hey, are you from Mexico/" -- that's a hate crime, and proof positive that I'm xenophobic. So, of course, if you expand the definition to include everything that people do as hate crimes, the statistics will show an increase in [so-called] hate crimes.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 07:11:46 PM »
But it's all in the spin. And the way they spin it now, if I see a guy (or gal) named Lopez waving a Mexican flag and I ask, "Hey, are you from Mexico/" -- that's a hate crime, and proof positive that I'm xenophobic. So, of course, if you expand the definition to include everything that people do as hate crimes, the statistics will show an increase in [so-called] hate crimes.

I don't know about that, but there have been a number of hoax-crimes lately.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-arrested-israel-connection-bomb-threats-us-jewish/story?id=46323084

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 09:49:30 PM »
I've lost count of how many times I've been accused of hating Latinos because I expressed an opinion that illegals should be deported. It was much more fun when my wife was alive.

"Allow me to introduce my wife, Maria Sergia de la Concepcion Rios Sepulveda. Now, about how much I hate Latinos ..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 08:17:49 AM »

Motte-and-bailey tactics.

They will talk about being "safe" from being made to feel bad, and when challenged run back to the "hate crimes" nonsense.

Perd Hapley

• friend

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 10:26:45 AM »
I've lost count of how many times I've been accused of hating Latinos because I expressed an opinion that illegals should be deported. It was much more fun when my wife was alive.

"Allow me to introduce my wife, Maria Sergia de la Concepcion Rios Sepulveda. Now, about how much I hate Latinos ..."

God help the snowflakes if they ever go to a construction site. Some of the legal immigrants or a generation or two removed have very strong opinions against illegal immigration.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 11:29:54 AM »
God help the snowflakes if they ever go to a construction site. Some of the legal immigrants or a generation or two removed have very strong opinions against illegal immigration.
I have only had the opportunity to talk about it with a few legal immigrants, but that is my experience also.  One lady is the wife of a coworker (Venezuelan) and her comment was that she flew here, she didn't swim. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 12:07:10 PM »
God help the snowflakes if they ever go to a construction site.

No worries, they won't. Double frappaccino soy lattes aren't served at construction sites.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama