Author Topic: Pickup Payload Capacities  (Read 1503 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pickup Payload Capacities
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:48:48 PM »
Pickup payload capacities - pay attention to them. I enjoyed watching the video mostly because the truck owner and his friend were a couple of jackwagons. The good thing is that the loader operator did exactly what the truck owner told him to do, so it'll be hard to deflect the blame.  :laugh:

https://jalopnik.com/watch-a-boulder-remind-a-ford-ranger-owner-that-payload-1826802068
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Pickup Payload Capacities
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:21 PM »
If stupid can't be painful it should at least be expensive.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:57:13 PM »
I once saw a little station wagon (Pontiac Astre?) sitting in a parking lot at Mendard's with the rear suspension collapsed - the vehicle was packed SOLID with treated lumber from the back of the front seats out the rear of the tailgate. Funny thing is, they couldn't have put all the lumber in at once, it had to have been loaded piece by piece, and they never noticed the vehicle sagging lower and lower . . .  :facepalm:   :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:10:51 AM »
I used to load my Chevy C20 until the frame bottomed out on the stops.  Then I'd add a little more so it wouldn't bounce :)  I think the heaviest load I carried was about 4600 pounds of shingles.  It drove a little squirrely with that much weight, even tho' I had tires that could handle it.

I have a half ton now.  Don't think I've ever hauled more than 500 or 600 pounds in it.  But I still put load range E tires on it.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:16:03 AM »
Oh, come on. It's like USPS flat rate mail -- "If it fits, it ships."

Which of the Sean Connery Bond movies was it where the bad guys thought they had Bond stuffed in the trunk of a full-size car (Lincoln, IIRC), which they then sent through a crusher and turned it into a chunk of metal about the size of a bale of hay? Which they then dropped into the back of one of those little Ford econobox mini pickups -- and it didn't sag at all.

Ahh ... Goldfinger. https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/2015/07/08/the-cars-of-james-bond-ford-falcon-ranchero/

But, then there's this:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 07:06:12 AM »

But, then there's this:

I would make that about 2800 lb if it were wood, way more for particle board.

I'm surprised the poor car didn't capsize.   =D

I'm also surprised the fork lift (or whatever) operator didn't say, "No way, José."

Terry

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:26:00 AM »
When I worked at Home Depot back in the early aughts I kept a stack of release forms in a clipboard on the forklift.

"You want that pallet of shingles in your half ton pickup? Sir it weighs 4600 lbs. I really don't think---.  OK, sign here." CRUNCH. "Thank you for shopping at the Home Depot."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 08:54:39 AM »
I had 20 sheets of drywall in my S10 once, that was 1100 lbs. with 2 people in the cab It was just under the 1600 lb limit of that truck.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 09:30:30 AM »
It seems like a lot of weekend warriors buy a half ton truck and then think, "Okay, I can put at least a half ton in it." Which sometimes you can and some times you can't.

I grab loads of gravel a few times a year. Dry gravel is around 2500 lbs/yard.  My old 2002 F150 was configured in such a way that with me and gear, 500-600lbs was about it for the bed without going over rated capacity. I did put a half yard of gravel in it occasionally and you could see the sucker sag, but nowhere near bottoming out. My current F150 will take 3/4 ton (I think 1800lbs), so with me and gear, over a half ton easily in the bed. It sags a little bit with a half yard of gravel, but not much.  My old F250 would take a full yard (I think it was rated for 2800lbs) in the bed and I could barely see the bed sag.

The loader operators at the gravel yard I use always used to ask, "Are you sure" about the full yard in the F250. Some of them have asked about the 1/2 yard in the other trucks (rightly so in the old F150).

Tires are another big deal. So many trucks these days come with lightweight passenger tires for CAFE standards that it's ridiculous.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 10:07:31 AM »
Pickup payload capacities - pay attention to them. I enjoyed watching the video mostly because the truck owner and his friend were a couple of jackwagons. The good thing is that the loader operator did exactly what the truck owner told him to do, so it'll be hard to deflect the blame.  :laugh:

https://jalopnik.com/watch-a-boulder-remind-a-ford-ranger-owner-that-payload-1826802068

I was impressed with the loader operator's accuracy in placing that load squarely on the pallet.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 10:37:54 AM »
I was impressed with the loader operator's accuracy in placing that load squarely on the pallet.

A good operator can do that. I don't get loading it over the side of the bed. Use forks instead of a bucket, come in from the from the back, lower the boulder onto the pallet and then slide the forks out.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »

How could he help but not do that with the "expert" direction he was getting? ;)

I love the way he dropped the rock and then just walked away. :)

bob

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »
I went to the local quarry (15 miles away) and had the bed of my Nissan Hardbody filled with gravel a few times. The suspension was bottomed out, and steering was kind of hinky.... kept it under 40mph.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 12:11:43 PM »
Then I'd add a little more so it wouldn't bounce :) 

That might be the key. The bouncing is what gets me rattled.

Barack Obama

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 12:28:23 PM »
Last summer I put one yard of bedding sand into my 2004 Ranger XLT. It was an interesting ride home. When I needed more sand, I did two more trips with half a yard each.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »
I just recently bought 6 tons of 7/8" pathway chips to make a parking area on the side of my house, I was stymied on how many trips it would take with my F350 so I just had it delivered. Probably a wise choice.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 12:42:58 PM »
I once loaded 25 80# bags of concrete mix into the bed of my Chevy S10.  I only had 2 miles to haul it but we didn't grasp just how much weight it was till we got it loaded.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 12:48:20 PM »
Last summer I put one yard of bedding sand into my 2004 Ranger XLT. It was an interesting ride home. When I needed more sand, I did two more trips with half a yard each.

A yard of sand can vary a LOT in weight based on moisture content.  I generally just get sand during the dry season around here. :)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 12:51:42 PM »

I'm more impressed with the intricate Chinese knot work on that load of wood on the car.

It looks like they had it on roof of the car (also impressed that ti didn't collapse), then the load shift when they went to drive away, yet the rope-work held it all together.  Very impresseive.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 12:59:31 PM »
I once loaded a few boxes of magnetic fluorescent ballasts in the old Tacoma. The thing was bottomed out, and steering like that boulder was sittin' back there.

(There may have been some sandbags along for the ride, if it was winter.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 01:02:27 PM »
I would make that about 2800 lb if it were wood, way more for particle board.

I'm surprised the poor car didn't capsize.   =D

I'm also surprised the fork lift (or whatever) operator didn't say, "No way, José."

Terry

Probably said, "eh esé, where you want the wood?"

And that was the result. :)

bob

griz

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »
I went to the local quarry (15 miles away) and had the bed of my Nissan Hardbody filled with gravel a few times. The suspension was bottomed out, and steering was kind of hinky.... kept it under 40mph.

I did something similar, also a little Nissan and also gravel.  I believe it was about 1100 pounds or so.  Definitely an overload.  I had to take it less than 10 miles so I went for it.  It felt like it had power steering.  Didn't take much of a bump to make it squirrely.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »
Dad had a 1974 Datsun "Lil Hustler" with they're long bed. He used to overload the hell out of that thing. It was nothing to pile on a full rick of green oak firewood or a "ton" of hay counted at 33 bales to the ton. Completely fill the bed to overflowing with gravel and drive on. Looking back I'm amazed at what that little 4 cylinder powered truck could do.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »
My dad had an early Datsun pickup, I want to say 69 because it was before I left home. That thing was amazing, haul a butt load of stuff and go fearlessly where everyone else went in 4WD. Of course I did carry a set of chains for it when slogging through the backwoods, never had to use them though.

bob

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »
Dad had a 1974 Datsun "Lil Hustler" with they're long bed. He used to overload the hell out of that thing. It was nothing to pile on a full rick of green oak firewood or a "ton" of hay counted at 33 bales to the ton. Completely fill the bed to overflowing with gravel and drive on. Looking back I'm amazed at what that little 4 cylinder powered truck could do.

I wish they still made the Datsun 720/ Nissan D21s, very inexpensive and reliable little trucks.

Barack Obama