Author Topic: An epic sailing race starts soon.  (Read 753 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
An epic sailing race starts soon.
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:36:02 AM »
50th anniversary Golden Globe Race starts July 1st.

http://goldengloberace.com/

In a nutshell:
single handed, non-stop, circumnavigation in classic sailboats with no modern electronics (GPS, Sat hookups, etc.)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: An epic sailing race starts soon.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 11:58:22 AM »
50th anniversary Golden Globe Race starts July 1st.

http://goldengloberace.com/

In a nutshell:
single handed, non-stop, circumnavigation in classic sailboats with no modern electronics (GPS, Sat hookups, etc.)

Ummm ...

From the page your link took me to:

As the GGR boats make their way from Falmouth to Les Sables d'Olonne in the SITraN challenge, they're performing communications tests via satellite phone and tracking units - we're now starting to upload these audio clips onto our Soundcloud page for each skipper - more added every few hours - follow along at soundcloud.com/goldengloberace

I think you mean no satellite-based navigation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 12:05:54 PM »
Ummm ...

From the page your link took me to:

I'm glad to see that. I'd be excited to watch the race, and I'm all for the eschewing of GPS and instead using manual navigation, but there is no reason for the increased risk from being unable to contact anyone for assistance.

It'd be like touting a cross-country road race that requires no seatbelts.

Edit: Clicked the link.  No Americans competing, so I hope they all lose.  >:D
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
It's my understanding that they will carry GPS, EPIRB and sat coms but they must be locked and sealed. use it if you need it but it results in a DQ for the race.
Seeing as I have a boat that would qualify for the race all I need is a few well heeled $ponsor$ and a few generous donor$ to properly outfit the boat and get it transported to the coast  and I'd be game to try it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »
My former Alberg 30 meets all the requirements, other than being two feet too short. Larry, does your new boat have a full keel? I know your old one was a fin keel. I don't remember if you discussed that when describing your new boat.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 06:16:51 PM »
Interesting way to die.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:25:38 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 09:24:54 PM »
My former Alberg 30 meets all the requirements, other than being two feet too short. Larry, does your new boat have a full keel? I know your old one was a fin keel. I don't remember if you discussed that when describing your new boat.

"New" boat is a 1977 Allied Seawind MKII, 32' full keel, masthead ketch rig.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2954

I like Carl Alberg designed boats. A little too much exterior teak to maintain for my tastes but a pleasure to look at and a joy to sail. There is an Alberg designed Cape Dory 30 at the marina that I fell in lust with a couple of years ago and would have bought but a friend of mine beat me to the draw.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 09:49:56 AM »
I'm glad to see that. I'd be excited to watch the race, and I'm all for the eschewing of GPS and instead using manual navigation, but there is no reason for the increased risk from being unable to contact anyone for assistance.

It'd be like touting a cross-country road race that requires no seatbelts.

Edit: Clicked the link.  No Americans competing, so I hope they all lose.  >:D
To me, it is more like a race across the US with no maps and no GPS navigation.  It appears they still have the safety equipment available. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 09:56:48 AM »
To me, it is more like a race across the US with no maps and no GPS navigation.  It appears they still have the safety equipment available. 

They can have maps. And they have the original GPS -- a sextant. After all, a sextant gives you your global position based on references to "satellites" -- in the sense of things in the sky. You could do the same thing in a car, using either a road atlas or a stack of USGS maps, and the aforementioned sextant. In fact, a sextant is a LOT easier to use when the deck under your feet isn't heaving around.