Author Topic: Grrrrr ... AVG  (Read 529 times)

HankB

• friend
Grrrrr ... AVG
« on: June 15, 2018, 02:19:27 PM »
(Adapting Hawkmoon's thread title Grrrrr . . . Avast) I'm no PC guru, but maybe someone on this forum can advise what to do besides using detcord . . .  ;)

One of my PCs is an old Dell still running Windows XP Media Edition - it's a little long in the tooth, but still runs a few programs I find useful. Has 2 hard drives in a redundant RAID configuration.

My AVG antivirus and tuneup program prompted me to do a full disk scan so I did . . . big mistake. Apparently some of AVG's scanning process involves running ckhdsk, and the PC went into an endless loop: chkdsk - reboot - chkdsk - reboot - chkdsk - reboot etc. (Seems XP is prone to this.) Tried MANY solutions I found on line, and ended up installing a copy of Windows XP Pro from the disk my PC shipped with.

Success - sort of.

I can now boot either copy of Windows into its most basic form - desktop is empty, and it's clearly not using the nvidia drivers to give me a full 1920x1080. Looking at the disk contents, it appears that all my files and folders are still there. Updates I've done to apps and OS over the past 13 or so years - who knows?

So - is there an easy way to bring my PC back to previous configuration, or am I better off just going through the HD and picking off whatever files and data I want to save for transfer to my next PC?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Grrrrr ... AVG
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 03:28:20 PM »
or am I better off just going through the HD and picking off whatever files and data I want to save for transfer to my next PC?

that
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 03:41:28 PM »
Ditto what Lee said. Unless you absotively posolutely need it for mission-critical legacy reasons, salvage your data and move on.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »
Ditto what Lee said. Unless you absotively posolutely need it for mission-critical legacy reasons, salvage your data and move on.

Brad
Yup. Back up all your data first thing. Chances are that if it's running XP  media center, it's more than just a little long in the tooth. It's around the age where you can't really trust the hard drive any more. What are the programs that you mentioned that you still use?  There might be equivalents for newer versions of Windows, or Mint.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »
This makes me SOOOOOOO happy that I ditched AVG after a short trial. I don't remember what I disliked, but I do remember that I disliked it intensely.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 01:44:05 PM »
This makes me SOOOOOOO happy that I ditched AVG after a short trial. I don't remember what I disliked, but I do remember that I disliked it intensely.
"dislike" would be a masterpiece of understatement to describe what I think about AVG now; I called their help line, and after a short conversation with a woman who barely spoke English, I was told that I would have to "talk to the Microsoft" for a solution to what AVG did to my system. 

The Microsoft indeed.  :mad:

<expletive> <expletive> <string of expletives>
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »
I use Avast these days. I used AVG for a doof while but it started to tick me off.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »
I know you can get adapters that will let you read an old hard drive on a new computer like a USB.  Depends on how much the data is worth.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge