Author Topic: Walking shoes  (Read 1250 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Walking shoes
« on: June 16, 2018, 10:06:58 AM »
I need walking shoes. I'm walking a lot more and enjoying it now that my back is not seizing up.

These cheap sneakers don't have any support.

I need good, supportive shoes that my weight wont kill in short order.

HIVE MIND ACTIVATE!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Walking shoes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 10:23:57 AM »
I don't technically go on walks, but when day hiking, I really like Merrel. For running, New Balance is my go to. Both have wide sizes and as my feet have been getting picky as I age, both can be worn comfortably for long periods without any kind of foot pain (for me).

For your walking though, I'm going to lean to New Balance. Lightweight, durable, and comfortable. If it becomes your choice, it's best to read Amazon reviews, as in the last few years the sizes of different models have varied slightly, tending smaller, so depending on the model, you might want to order a 1/2-1 size larger than normal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 10:34:48 AM »
Tennis shoes I’ve been pleased with is Brooks. Wide sizes and various levels of support and anti pro notation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:46:07 AM »
I've probably been through a few dozen different pairs of walking/hiking shoes in the last 10 years- I generally wear a pair out every 6 months...
My current favorites, for the last 3 pairs or so have been Merrells.
It really comes down to fit and durability.
New balance and Merrell tend to fit me well and hold up well.
Nikes fit good, but don't last long.
Columbia have worked for me in the past, but I have a hard time finding the same style when I wear a pair out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/  Prices so good it doesn't matter if you break them down after 4 or 6 months (you can still wear them around the house and around town after the arch support is mostly gone)
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 10:58:21 AM »
https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/  Prices so good it doesn't matter if you break them down after 4 or 6 months (you can still wear them around the house and around town after the arch support is mostly gone)

I had an old pair of white NB shoes that I dug out and wore to a Father-son basketball game last year. I wore black socks with them t try to embarrass my son. >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »

I love Jnbo but they don't always have the deal in the size. 

Mike and I talked off aps about this earlier but I'm a big fan of a good sturdy trail running shoe.  Wider tread for stability and they're built to take a pounding.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 11:57:49 AM »
I love Jnbo but they don't always have the deal in the size. 

Mike and I talked off aps about this earlier but I'm a big fan of a good sturdy trail running shoe.  Wider tread for stability and they're built to take a pounding.

Yes, I should have mentioned that as well. All my New Balance tennies are the MT trail series. Not only do I like their soles better, but they tend to fit me better as well for some reason compared to other NB series.

Bob - thanks for that link! NB changes styles and versions so often it drives me nuts. I'll find, for instance, a MT580v1 that I really like, and a half year later they're selling the MT580v5 already, and it's often not the same shoe. Over the last few years, when I get a NB model I like, after a month of wearing it to be sure, I order a second pair so I can go at least a year without having to play "guess the shoe" again.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 01:05:13 PM »
Another vote for Merrel.
I like their hiking shoes. I usually get 2+ years out of a pair with nearly everyday wear.
I just picked up a new pair Thursday.
https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-2-waterproof/27943M.html?dwvar_27943M_color=J06027#cgid=men-footwear-hiking&prefn1=itemStyle&prefv1=Shoe&prefn2=size&prefv2=9.5&prefn3=width&prefv3=M&start=1
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »
For such shoes I like new balance, the trail running models in particular.

That said, my daily wear all day every day shoe for the last few years has been the modern style combat boots. I love them for walking, hiking, hunting, etc. I think decent made examples hit a very good balance of doing multiple tasks very well.

My latest pair have been la police gear branded ones. Specifically the side zip, and I've been very pleased with them. Plus, bonus points for being very inexpensive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 01:48:10 PM »
Another vote for Merrel.
I like their hiking shoes. I usually get 2+ years out of a pair with nearly everyday wear.
I just picked up a new pair Thursday.
https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-2-waterproof/27943M.html?dwvar_27943M_color=J06027#cgid=men-footwear-hiking&prefn1=itemStyle&prefv1=Shoe&prefn2=size&prefv2=9.5&prefn3=width&prefv3=M&start=1

Have you used the Moab 2s before? If not, how do you like them so far? My hiking boot is the mid-height regular Moab, which I really like. I've been thinking of getting the waterproof version and am wondering if it's identical to the Moab with just gore-tex added, or if the Moab 2 is designed differently.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 01:57:53 PM »
Salomon Aeros are stupidly comfortable for long walks/light hikes.  The upper is mesh,  so not even remotely waterproof but your feet breath.  They're only a boot by technicality, I consider them a comfy shoe with lots of sole and ankle support.

https://www.rei.com/product/122168/salomon-x-ultra-3-mid-aero-hiking-boots-mens?CAWELAID=120217890004561080&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15997809160&CATCI=pla-450982051161&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_169844|1221680010|none|bde5d7a5-c614-4c21-b80c-441366f22354|pla-450982051161&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_169844|1221680010|none|bde5d7a5-c614-4c21-b80c-441366f22354&kclid=bde5d7a5-c614-4c21-b80c-441366f22354&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6pLZBRCxARIsALaaY9bdVNuIy6fnqfwI0xgLln_36rdg_Ncw5yVKabXLxCkHd_ZkEJyMjkUaAj6_EALw_wcB
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 02:07:08 PM »
For such shoes I like new balance, the trail running models in particular.

That said, my daily wear all day every day shoe for the last few years has been the modern style combat boots. I love them for walking, hiking, hunting, etc. I think decent made examples hit a very good balance of doing multiple tasks very well.

My latest pair have been la police gear branded ones. Specifically the side zip, and I've been very pleased with them. Plus, bonus points for being very inexpensive.

I just ordered a pair of these https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/product/mt590-v3/mt590rt3  $32.50 and free shipping; I don't know why the order qualified for free shipping.  The NB 311s I bought a year ago are about worn out -- but they still look okay.

I've never had sneakers with trail soles.  Should be good this winter when I want to take the dogs for a walk and there's snow on the ground.  The 311s have slick soles that were kind of treacherous on ice and snow.  (at least they don't track much mud in the house)
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 02:10:03 PM »
Have you used the Moab 2s before? If not, how do you like them so far? My hiking boot is the mid-height regular Moab, which I really like. I've been thinking of getting the waterproof version and am wondering if it's identical to the Moab with just gore-tex added, or if the Moab 2 is designed differently.

the last pair I have is the old MOAB. I haven't worn the new ones yet but I'll let you know.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »
I like the new balance walking shoes not the cheap imports but the made in the USA ones. I also wear keen sandals- great fit and support. I bought a pair of keen hikers but I can't recommend them at this time. They might turn out ok but my initial impression is meh.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. Looks like the New Balance are the ones I'll give a try first.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »
I just ordered a pair of these https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/product/mt590-v3/mt590rt3  $32.50 and free shipping; I don't know why the order qualified for free shipping.  The NB 311s I bought a year ago are about worn out -- but they still look okay.

I've never had sneakers with trail soles.  Should be good this winter when I want to take the dogs for a walk and there's snow on the ground.  The 311s have slick soles that were kind of treacherous on ice and snow.  (at least they don't track much mud in the house)

I just ordered the same shoes. It wouldn't give me free shipping, and they were $38.99 when I ordered them this morning, but I found a coupon code for $1 shipping instead of $7.

Even with the shipping included they're $12 less than what Amazon has them for.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 09:48:48 AM »
Salomon Aeros are stupidly comfortable for long walks/light hikes.  The upper is mesh,  so not even remotely waterproof but your feet breath.  They're only a boot by technicality, I consider them a comfy shoe with lots of sole and ankle support.

https://www.rei.com/product/122168/salomon-x-ultra-3-mid-aero-hiking-boots-mens?CAWELAID=120217890004561080&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15997809160&CATCI=pla-450982051161&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_169844|1221680010|none|bde5d7a5-c614-4c21-b80c-441366f22354|pla-450982051161&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_169844|1221680010|none|bde5d7a5-c614-4c21-b80c-441366f22354&kclid=bde5d7a5-c614-4c21-b80c-441366f22354&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6pLZBRCxARIsALaaY9bdVNuIy6fnqfwI0xgLln_36rdg_Ncw5yVKabXLxCkHd_ZkEJyMjkUaAj6_EALw_wcB

To veer the thread some, those boots are a great example of a boot I'd be interested in trying if they came in a freakin' wide version. Lack of EEE sizes in various shoes seems to be a common enough complaint that more manufacturers should have an interest in including them in their lineups. Seems like half the time I look for a new shoe or boot, the 13EEE is out of stock, so there seems to be plenty of demand.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Walking shoes
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »
To veer the thread some, those boots are a great example of a boot I'd be interested in trying if they came in a freakin' wide version. Lack of EEE sizes in various shoes seems to be a common enough complaint that more manufacturers should have an interest in including them in their lineups. Seems like half the time I look for a new shoe or boot, the 13EEE is out of stock, so there seems to be plenty of demand.
Agreed. In most manufacturers shoes I need the wide version, so when they flat out don't make one it sucks. Ive have several shoes Ive tried on and it would have been beautiful if it we're just a bit wider.

Though I've noticed of late an increasing number of shoes iver not needed the wide version. It's not like my existing shoes are suddenly to big, so it may also be that some manufacturers newer styles are trending wider anyway.

But on the Solomon's iver tried them before and they were way to friggin narrow.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 02:14:14 PM »

Yeah that's what they said when I was shopping them, great footwear but not if you have wide feet.  Which sucks,  because their Quest 4d's are the best pair of hiking boots I've ever owned.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 06:39:52 AM »
I'm starting a Couch to 5K program today.  When I was younger and weighed less, I bought running shoes based on how they looked as much as anything else.  Being older and a bit wiser, I went to a specialty store this time called Second Sole.  They actually watch you walk and run a bit, looking for pronation (ankle rolling to one side or the other), look at the shoes you wear in, and talk to you.  After four pairs of shoes, I ended up with New Balance.  There were others, like Saucony,  which felt really comfortable cushion wise, but didn't have that stability you all mentioned.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 06:56:25 AM »
Excellent, Chris!

HBO is running a rom-com movie right now with Simon Pegg called Run Fatboy Run.

That should be our theme movie... except that I don't plan on running anywhere anytime soon ever again. :)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 07:00:03 AM »
"They actually watch you walk and run a bit, looking for pronation (ankle rolling to one side or the other)"

When the ankle rolls inwards, it's pronation.

When it rolls outward (my right ankle rolls outward) it's supination. Another term that's used is under pronation.

One of the things I remember from when I was an athletic trainer in college.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 07:49:15 AM »
Excellent, Chris!

HBO is running a rom-com movie right now with Simon Pegg called Run Fatboy Run.

That should be our theme movie... except that I don't plan on running anywhere anytime soon ever again. :)

:rofl:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 08:19:26 AM »
I second the NewBalance recommendations.  I screwed up an Achilles tendon years back walking in cheap shoes.  Doc recommended NB shoes.  I've been wearing them ever since and had no further problems.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.