Author Topic: Walking shoes  (Read 1251 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Walking shoes
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 08:26:35 AM »
Good. That's really good to hear, because I'm really feeling the extra walking I'm doing, especially in the ball of my right foot. The last thing I want to do is screw up my foot with these cheap sneakers and not be able to walk. I'm really enjoying walking after not really being able to for such a long time, and I know Seren is really liking it as well.

I'm hoping to, as I lose more and more weight, build up to at least 2 to 4 miles a day. I used to walk Ruger and Nikky 1.5 to 2 miles every night, but that was over a decade ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »
"They actually watch you walk and run a bit, looking for pronation (ankle rolling to one side or the other)"

When the ankle rolls inwards, it's pronation.

When it rolls outward (my right ankle rolls outward) it's supination. Another term that's used is under pronation.

One of the things I remember from when I was an athletic trainer in college.

See what happens when a lawyer tries to talk about medical stuff?   :lol:

Oh, and I like the "Run Fatboy Run."  A friend of mine, who would also fall in this category, says to me that he won't win any races, but he's running faster times than all the people sitting on the couch. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »
They came yesterday, and boy what a difference. I could feel the increased support and padding.

Unfortunately, by last night, my lower back and thighs were doing a mini revolt from, I guess, being asked to perform in a more anatomically correct fashion.

I decided to wear them to the office today more to break myself in to wearing them than to break them in, and my feet feel a LOT better.

I'm generally a cheap SOB, but when it comes to shoes I'm going to quit being such a cheap SOB and buy quality.

Given what I paid for these, it really wasn't that much more than what I pay for cheap Walmart crap, and I suspect that these are a LOT better for me and will last a lot longer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 03:04:24 PM »
I'm a long-time fan of the Merrill Moab Ventilators (not GoreTex).  I have owned both the originals and the second model, and don't notice that much difference between them.  That said, I need to get a set of upgraded innersoles, as my right heel has began to hurt now that I'm exercising a lot more.  The shoes themselves are only a couple of months old and probably have less than 200 miles on them, but the innersoles that come with them are probably the lowest-cost option.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »
They came yesterday, and boy what a difference. I could feel the increased support and padding.

Unfortunately, by last night, my lower back and thighs were doing a mini revolt from, I guess, being asked to perform in a more anatomically correct fashion.
I decided to wear them to the office today more to break myself in to wearing them than to break them in, and my feet feel a LOT better.

It took me a few days to get acclimated to my first pair of NB shoes, too.  But once things settled in, I was glad I bought them.  They're the only brand I will buy now.

I'm generally a cheap SOB, but when it comes to shoes I'm going to quit being such a cheap SOB and buy quality.

Given what I paid for these, it really wasn't that much more than what I pay for cheap Walmart crap, and I suspect that these are a LOT better for me and will last a lot longer.

My first pair were purchased at a local shoe store, so I paid a premium for them.  Since then I've been buying them on sale at local stores, or buying them online.  That makes their price far more reasonable.
Disunirregardless, it's worth the extra money to not screw up my feet and legs.  I learned that lesson the first time when I screwed up my Achilles tendon.  Not being able to walk without severe pain for weeks because of my poor choice in footwear was a real learning experience.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2018, 05:05:17 PM »
I went to a local running shoe store a couple of years ago.  They had me try on different shoes and walk around, and they watched for pronation and supination and I don't know whatall.  Said my gait was fine, and recommended NB shoes.  I wear a 12 dress shoe, but need a 13 in NB athletic shoes.  I bought an expensive pair from them, and now I buy the same thing wherever I can get them cheap-- like JNBO.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 07:23:46 AM »
I'm so happy with the New Balance shoes I have that I just bought another pair of trail runners, MTE573s.

They're on sale right now.

The ones I bought the other day I went with 10.5s/4E. Width is great, but they are just a tiny bit snug, especially when walking down a slope, so I went up to 11s for this pair.

My plan is to rotate them, something suggested by Chris. That way they won't wear out nearly as quickly as they components will have a chance to dry out, bounce back, etc.