Author Topic: "All Cattle, No Hat"  (Read 1673 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"All Cattle, No Hat"
« on: June 17, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »
This is a very, very small thing, but to me, it was a great example of urban, establishment dems (and Rs in many cases) simply not getting all the flyover country deplorables. Whether he got it wrong via slip of the tongue or Freudian slip, It really does illustrate that to these people, the hat matters more than the cattle.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/17/trump-rebukes-schumers-claim-that-north-korea-nuclear-summit-was-all-cattle-and-no-hat.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: "All Cattle, No Hat"
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »
Basically, Schumer exists in the Democrat bubble. What else do we need to know?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »
I think it just means that a lefty, Jewish senator from New York isn't fluent in cattle country metaphors, and slips up from time to time. I don't know that we can take much more from it than that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »
I think it just means that a lefty, Jewish senator from New York isn't fluent in cattle country metaphors, and slips up from time to time. I don't know that we can take much more from it than that.

Like I said, it's a small thing. On the other hand, I'm not from Texas and never raised cattle, but nobody had to explain the phrase to me the first time I heard it.

On the comical side, I would have liked to see Schumer's face when somebody got around to telling him he actually paid Trump a compliment.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 11:54:59 AM »

If you can't get the metaphor right -- don't use it. Typical Schumer, trying to relate to the unwashed masses and not having a clue what language they speak. I'm sure as far as he's concerned he used all the same words, so what difference does it make?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 03:17:49 PM »
What do you mean, Schumer doesn't understand it, or can't get it right? He misspoke. That happens. It means nothing.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »
I' m sure Schumer didn't mean it that way but I see it as a great compliment. There was no "hat" no roman columns, no bussed in astroturf crowds. Just solid business.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 08:45:05 PM »
I going for "tried to sound like an everyman for the personl connection and blew it entirely because he's so completely out of touch with reality he has no idea whatan 'everyman' really is".

That, or he's just a babbling idiot.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 08:47:55 PM »
I going for "tried to sound like an everyman for the personl connection and blew it entirely because he's so completely out of touch with reality he has no idea whatan 'everyman' really is".

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 10:19:11 PM »

Brad

Yeah, that first one. Hilarious.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 09:01:12 AM »
Schumer was probably reading from a script or note cards, so he didn't just "misspeak."  He, or more likely his staff, has no idea what the actual phrase should be or what it means.  They thought it sounded folksy and would be a jab at Trump, so they used it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 12:03:41 PM »
On a not so related note, my Dad has a few cows.  His bull died January of last year.  At least two of his cows have had calves so far this year. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »
Large animal vet with the long gloves & frozen straws been hanging' around?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 05:36:42 PM »
Large animal vet with the long gloves & frozen straws been hanging' around?
No, just the neighbor's bull.   =)  I think he likes the grass sometimes and my Dad feeds them pellets a few days a week.  The neighbor didn't mind if he was hanging out next door as long as he knew where he was. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 10:23:27 PM »
Wouldn't it be funny if there was a closet Trump supporter among Schumer's staff who changed "all hat, no cattle" to "all cattle, no hat" in Schumer's speech, knowing Schumer wouldn't have the wit to catch the error on the fly?   >:D

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 01:54:28 AM »
I'm a wee bit embarrassed for APS by this thread.

OP:

"This is a very, very small thing..."

Indeed.