Author Topic: A little Black & White Film Photography.  (Read 496 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
A little Black & White Film Photography.
« on: June 17, 2018, 10:27:13 PM »
First time I've clicked a shutter since February. Between the hip surgery nightmare and other issues I had a little tête-à-tête with depression but with a little help from my wife and friends I managed to at least make it out the other side more or less as sane as I started. Felt good to be shooting film again and getting back in the darkroom. This pretty much the look I was going for.

Anyway, there is a little pick-up band that plays at the marina where I keep my boat. They call themselves Doyle and the Dock Rats.

This is Doyle

Technical: Mamiya RB67, Mamiya-Sekor C 4.5 180mm, Lumopro180 Speedlights triggered with Photix Ares radio remotes, Delta 3200 @ 3200 in Rodinal 1:25.Scanned on Epson V600
I consider this a preview scan and will be printing this as big as I can make it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: A little Black & White Film Photography.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:33:47 AM »
Rodinal 1:25.

You still got a stash of the genuine Agfa stuff around, or is this the current production ADOX?

If I can ever track down the backup drive I scanned them into, I've got several rolls of landscapes from west Texas shot mostly on Delta 100, Acros 100 and Pan F+ 50 and Ortho 25 (When you've got clear skies and desert sun, you've got to play with low ISOs.) in a mix of 135 and 120, (unfortunately hadn't yet hacked up the old Polaroid Land camera to run either 120 or two parallel rolls of 135 at the time) with several of the negs I processed on the road being stand processed in Rodinal.  A lot of scenes out there are extremely high contrast anyway, so it made for some really dramatic effects.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:35:26 AM »
That's nice.  I miss film.  I love the grain in that one.   Delta is an Ilford film, right?  What paper do you use?   I love the warmer tone the Ilford papers have....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:39:26 AM »
Excellent study.  Good lighting.  Nice job.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »
The Rodinal I have is current production.
I pretty much stick with Ilford paper, retail availability is universal and I get consistent and repeatable results with Dektol.
I'll probably print this on Ilford MGIV RC glossy 8X10. If it prints like I hope it does I may try at 11X14 and/or dip into my FB paper. This one might do well with matt paper.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 01:06:35 PM »
Both my sons discovered chemical photography a couple of years ago, even to the point of discovering how to develop in coffee (or almost any reducing agent).  As one of them joked, resolution isn't in terms of megapixels, but in terms of silver atoms*.  You do the math.

Terry

*Not really true, but it made a good joke.