Author Topic: High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax  (Read 2750 times)

MechAg94

• friend
High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax
« on: June 21, 2018, 12:43:17 PM »
https://apnews.com/332abb7455cb4b60b2effc0852ff3c89/High-Court:-Online-shoppers-can-be-forced-to-pay-sales-tax

On Thursday, the Supreme Court agreed to overturn those decisions in a 5-4 ruling. The cases the court overturned said that if a business was shipping a customer’s purchase to a state where the business didn’t have a physical presence such as a warehouse or office, the business didn’t have to collect the state’s sales tax. Customers were generally responsible for paying the sales tax to the state themselves if they weren’t charged it, but most didn’t realize they owed it and few paid.

Looks like online shopping is going to get a bit more expensive.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 01:16:16 PM »
Time to set myself up as a non-profit and get a tax number.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »
https://apnews.com/332abb7455cb4b60b2effc0852ff3c89/High-Court:-Online-shoppers-can-be-forced-to-pay-sales-tax

Looks like online shopping is going to get a bit more expensive.

Nope. It's going to get a LOT more exclusive.

This is the "kill all small online business in favor of Amazon/Walmart" decision.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 01:59:35 PM »

This is the "kill all small online business in favor of Amazon/Walmart" decision.
I really doubt that.  There are still a lot of things that are easier to buy online and obscure parts will still be uneconomical to stock locally.  All this does is add sales tax cost to it.  

IMO, where it will hurt is online dealers that sell the same stuff that is available down the street.  That is a small subset IMO.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 02:04:45 PM »

Kinda what I was thinking. I've been paying sales tax to Amazon for years now for "fulfilled by Amazon" stuff. It's the third party sellers where I have not yet (outside of CA) been paying any.

Amazon may not like it, but they can easily afford to monitor sales tax for transactions. The little mom and pop stores that use Amazon will likely have a tough time of it, unless Amazon adds something to their interface to do it for the mom and pops, which I'm sure Amazon will charge for. Which will be passed on to the customer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 02:09:53 PM »
I really doubt that.  There are still a lot of things that are easier to buy online and obscure parts will still be uneconomical to stock locally.

Which is where Amazon and WalMart fill in the gaps with their "sales partner" setups.  Trouble is, once something proves to be profitable, they use their buying power to undercut the "partner" on their own damn site.  We ran into it with some solar lighting and attic vent systems from a lesser-known manufacturer; after we'd sold a few on Amazon, paying their percentage for listing there, they suddenly turned up as a "fulfilled by Amazon" product at less than MAP, and roughly right at wholesale plus the percentage they were charging us.  The manufacturer wouldn't comment on them being below MAP, though I'm sure it was a simple matter of Amazon promising and/or just flat out purchasing up front enough volume that they wouldn't make a fuss.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 02:11:43 PM »
Does this mean that an online retailer will have to file some sort of state sales tax payment/form to every state where they shipped a product to, every year?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
Does this mean that an online retailer will have to file some sort of state sales tax payment/form to every state where they shipped a product to, every year?
How it gets implemented is a question I didn't see answered. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 03:24:02 PM »

Probably, and I'd bet there are a few states that make it a royal PITA to either get or file those.  Look for "not available in ____" to include some new states soon.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 03:53:25 PM »
What about local sales taxes?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 05:13:13 PM »
I believe it is just the state rate so about 5% here.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 05:51:32 PM »
There was a brief period when Amazon was adding  OK sales tax, they charged state, county and city sales tax based on the city in my address even though I'm not in city jurisdiction and should not be subject to city sales taxes.
I inquired to Amazon but received no reply.
If it goes that way again it will become an issue.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 06:11:09 PM »
Buyers already pay sales tax locally. Sales tax on an online item that's cheaper to begin with means it's still cheaper than a brick & mortar store. Some will rebel simply out of principle. Most won't care. All they care about is that it's more convenient to click a button and have it show up on your doorstep than driving to the store to get it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 07:03:45 PM »
In the olden days, having something shipped to you by water took so long it was as if you were paying a sails tax.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 08:21:03 PM »
There was a brief period when Amazon was adding  OK sales tax, they charged state, county and city sales tax based on the city in my address even though I'm not in city jurisdiction and should not be subject to city sales taxes.
I inquired to Amazon but received no reply.
If it goes that way again it will become an issue.

I wondered about that local (municipal, township, etc.)  tax, too.  Would not the same Court logic apply there?

Too Also, the extra costs are not limited to the mere dollar amount of taxes, since the administration of assessing and disbursing the taxes to the local or state tax people would be rather large.  (We've got several little townies and cities around here, e.g. Lakeside and Mountain View).  And guess who would end up paying for that, pray tell, even though it was a hidden cost, like Amazon paying for the electricity to run its machines.

???

All in all, it kinda looks like it could be a real snake pit sooner or later, probably sooner.

Maybe it's time for all of us to apply for non-profit status to avoid any sales tax. :D

Terry

REFs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeside,_Colorado
(Formed in early 20th Century to avoid Denver liquor laws. Eight residents.)

http://www.townofmountainviewcolorado.org/
(Two blocks by six blocks.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:19:37 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 10:57:00 PM »
In the olden days, having something shipped to you by water took so long it was as if you were paying a sails tax.
:facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »
Buyers already pay sales tax locally. Sales tax on an online item that's cheaper to begin with means it's still cheaper than a brick & mortar store. Some will rebel simply out of principle. Most won't care. All they care about is that it's more convenient to click a button and have it show up on your doorstep than driving to the store to get it.

Brad

This.  Whatever is cheapest or easiest will win. 

I live in NH.  We don't have sales tax, so this ruling won't affect purchasers in NH, but it may affect NH businesses that ship out-of-state.  One of our Senators is bitching about this ruling, which I find hilarious because she is a flaming liberal and is usually in favor of more taxes.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 12:17:18 PM »
One of our Senators is bitching about this ruling, which I find hilarious because she is a flaming liberal and is usually in favor of more taxes.
If she got to play with this tax money she'd probably be for it.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
IMO, It would be much simpler for a store to pay sales tax in the state they are located rather than the state the customer is located in.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »
IMO, It would be much simpler for a store to pay sales tax in the state they are located rather than the state the customer is located in.

Think about that for a second...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 01:05:42 PM »
Me thinks if the state the customer lived in charged 8%  sales tax and the seller could collect, say, 5%,  then the customer's state might be rather annoyed ....
otoh if the sellers state received the tax it wouldn't even matter,   buyers pay the tax.   

The argument sorta depends on how you parse it out.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »
Me thinks if the state the customer lived in charged 8%  sales tax and the seller could collect, say, 5%,  then the customer's state might be rather annoyed ....
otoh if the sellers state received the tax it wouldn't even matter,   buyers pay the tax.   

The argument sorta depends on how you parse it out.

Then the state the customer lives in needs to lower their taxes to attract more online businesses.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 02:32:34 PM »
Then the state the customer lives in needs to lower their taxes to attract more online businesses.

Yea ....THAT'LL HAPPEN!!!!

On Sept 12, 2001 The town I live in raised its tax rate.  State tax is 7% and the county added 1%.  They raised it to make the total tax 9%.  And note the date.  Wonder why it got obscured by some other news?
And no one has done bupkiz to trim it back.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 04:06:12 PM »
Maybe states and territories should mandate one uniform sales tax within their jurisdictions.

And get local governments out of the habit or take away their ability to raise sales taxes. Need more revenue? Find another way.

And get away from all the special rules for this or that product or the ingredients therein or if it's cooked or not. Or whatever rules that complicate things.

That would reduce things to a very manageable 50+ jurisdictions. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 05:03:39 PM »

All in all, it kinda looks like it could be a real snake pit sooner or later, probably sooner.

Terry

Ayup.

If I had been on the Court, I'd have fought like hell to not grant cert despite the fact that 40 states had filed.  Just let them negotiate it out on a state-by-state basis on their own.  (As, e.g., in recognizing each others' carry permits.)

That's what I'd'a done, by golly, by cracky, by gum.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:50:52 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.