Author Topic: Tips for removing rock outcropping in yard  (Read 1023 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Tips for removing rock outcropping in yard
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:35:00 PM »
I was a bit careless with the mower and hit a bit of a rock outcropping, granite, in my yard.  Figuring to get ride of the stone, I started digging... and digging... and digging. Yah, sizeable enough where I think it would weigh in the tons and take industrial machinery to be rid of.  But, I only really care about the bit sticking up and spoiling that spot of earth I could otherwise just roll the mower over. I tried hitting it with a sledgehammer and yup, millimeter gone and flying rock shards... I think that would be a bit too time and labor intensive; and just plain unpleasant work. I didn't really expect it to work, but, you know, had a hammer and some curiosity. 

Any good advice from the collective?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0TS8I/ref=psdc_8906591011_t1_B000H0XQWW
Toss a rock drill bit in the drill and have at it?
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Tips for removing rock outcropping in yard
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:37:30 PM »
Incorporate into other landscaping?  Need pix.

Pour a concrete post over it and mount a bird feeder or sundial or sculpture on it?

Otherwise, Det....   no, I can't say it.  I'm afraid every time I say "Det..."  you know, more goobermink netsnoops get all excited and hornified and bonerated.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:41:52 PM »
Incorporate into other landscaping?  Need pix.

Otherwise, Det....   no, I can't say it.

The may actually be a case where detcord is not appropriate.  Something more powerful appears to be called for.  Perhaps filling a hole drilled in the rock with the aforementioned bit, fill it with ANFO and use the detcord for a detonator.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:50:26 PM »
How about Dexpan? Available on Amazon.

http://www.dexpan.com/dexpan-how-to-use-dexpan-non-explosive-controlled-demolition-agent-breaking.aspx

Home Despot sells something called Ecobust which is supposed to be similar.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:58:21 PM »
Hammer drill, drill a line of holes, drive a drift in to break them. I had a simt problem, hit big sandstone in the garden, dug down two feet, rock still getting bigger, sledgehat until below tiller height. Even with sandstone some significant escape velocities were achieved, wouldn't want to whack granite.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 10:04:12 PM »
Dig around the offending rock,  build a fire.  Keep fire hot for hours.  Tie rope to 5 gallon bucket full of water and yank from a safe distance?

I've never tried it,  but I've heard of it done that way.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 10:11:15 PM »
Bring in a bunch of topsoil and raise the ground level above the projection.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 10:52:49 PM »
Thermonuclear bomb?

(Detcord suggested was already made.  [tinfoil] >:D )
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 10:56:05 PM »
The rock is in the far rear of a 2 acre property behind a storage tent; part of a 5 ft or so gap where the wood line exists.  There is low light and high clay content to the soil; so what does grow is slow and I can see why my father ignored it and just went with the weed wacker when things got out of control.  But I am willing to work a bit to enable future sloth.  

I think I am willing to toss $30 on a rock drill bit. I figure if I can get one good drill hole then all I really need to do is wait till winter and pour some water in the hole and check back later.  

Sadly up in NY we don't see much in the way of high quality 4th of July merry makers; I know the dramatic choices are often the most fun.  
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 01:20:51 AM »
Bring in a bunch of topsoil and raise the ground level above the projection.

This.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 03:48:54 AM »
 Set an old toilet over it and add dirt and flowers for a decorative planter! They do it all the time down here...  :P  :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 05:51:31 AM »
Dig around the offending rock,  build a fire.  Keep fire hot for hours.  Tie rope to 5 gallon bucket full of water and yank from a safe distance?

I've never tried it,  but I've heard of it done that way.

Yes, there was mechtech show on TV about explosives which described that process before boomstoffe was in common use.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »
Option A) Find some local with a back hoe who's willing to dig it out for a couple hundred in cash and a case of beer?

Option B) Find some kid doing summer yard work who's willing to take a swing at digging it out. Throw him fifty bucks to go at it for half a day and see if it's truly dig-outable or will need larger equipment.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »
Set an old toilet over it and add dirt and flowers for a decorative planter! They do it all the time down here...  :P  :old:

Nailed it.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 10:53:07 AM »
What'd they use the tank lid for?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 11:47:23 AM »
Snack tray.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 11:48:05 AM »
What'd they use the tank lid for?
Target practice.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 12:41:46 PM »
Go down to your local tool rental place and see what they suggest.

Granite is a very difficult rock to drill with your run of the mill hammer drill.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 02:29:27 PM »
I've drilled thousands of holes in marble in my years in the trophy business.  I know granite is harder than marble, but the same principals apply.  Use a good masonry bit (I used Starrett) and a high speed drill.  Run water on the hole as you drill and raise the bit every few seconds to cool and clean it.  I know most people would think a slow speed would work better, but in reality, the faster the better.  I can check my drill press for the exact speed if need be.