Author Topic: Found a pretty neat YouTube channel  (Read 558 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Found a pretty neat YouTube channel
« on: June 22, 2018, 12:27:15 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XgDHIx9LvQ
Channel is called Alec Steele. Youngish guy who seems to be pretty talented at blacksmithing. In this video he creates a type of damascus called Mokume Gane, which is a fusion of copper and nickle. Pretty neat stuff to watch.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Found a pretty neat YouTube channel
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 12:40:07 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XgDHIx9LvQ
Channel is called Alec Steele. Youngish guy who seems to be pretty talented at blacksmithing. In this video he creates a type of damascus called Mokume Gane, which is a fusion of copper and nickle. Pretty neat stuff to watch.

I was going to get some mirror Mokume Gane wedding rings made when we got married about 23 years ago, couldn't afford it then, don't want to spend the money now. They can fuse all kinds of metal together, do a google search for Mokume Gane jewelry, some very pretty stuff.

bob

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:31:04 AM »
Cool video. I've seen people make mokume gane from stacks of quarters.

I've been watching him for quite awhile, he's come a long way.
I saw a recent set of videos where he made a really nice (and complicated) pattern welded Fairbairn-Sykes dagger.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »
If you like that you might also try the ZH Fabrications channel. Mostly furniture and custom fittings, but nicely done and interesting to watch.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 03:36:25 PM »
The best fabricators I've ever seen are the two British guys that are taking an old Austin Mini and making a modern Japanese FWD engine and trans work in it. The problem is, they seem to have dropped off YouTube! I can't find their vids, channel or the links I used to have to them, AAAaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhh!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »
Check out Freerk Wieringa's channel. Also blacksmithing, only no talking at all. Just him showing his craft.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 05:24:36 PM »
If you like that you might also try the ZH Fabrications channel. Mostly furniture and custom fittings, but nicely done and interesting to watch.

Brad
Love his channel.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila