Author Topic: Birdshot in a home defense shotgun  (Read 2919 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Birdshot in a home defense shotgun
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:02:02 PM »
Does The Collective have any experience, opinions or data on using birdshot in a home defense shotgun? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Birdshot in a home defense shotgun
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 02:10:47 PM »
It will, in all likelyhood, make a mess of any Bad Guy's day, though probably just by bloodying him up and stalling him long enough for you to find a more suitable means of defense.

Seriously... at home defense ranges a high dram heavy field load of #6 or #7 bird shot will be pretty darned effective. Even though it may not have the penetration potential of heavier shot it'll still pack one helluva punch, enough to get you a chance at more effective means.

Buck is still preferred for a dedicated HD gun, but if bird shot is all you have then it beats throwing rocks.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:10:52 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
Should work, probably not lethal in most cases, will need to replace glass items and patch drywall if you touch it off indoors. OTOH, if you cut off the top of the shell and pour hot wax into it you will have a slug that will become birdshot upon hitting something.  At least it would minimize collateral damage. ;)

As long as you know the limitations of birdshot and work within them and are willing to accept them I don't see why not. One thing for sure, you probably won't be penetrating any interior walls at across the room distances.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »
I'd rather (and do) use this than bird shot:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/hevi-shot-hevi-duty-close-combat-home-defense-shotshell-ammo

Back in the day, before they went "tactical" with the name, it was called "Dead Coyote", and that is in fact the name of the stuff in my HD shotgun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 02:27:35 PM »
I'd rather (and do) use this than bird shot:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/hevi-shot-hevi-duty-close-combat-home-defense-shotshell-ammo

Back in the day, before they went "tactical" with the name, it was called "Dead Coyote", and that is in fact the name of the stuff in my HD shotgun.

And if you can find a Dead Coyote choke to put on your shotgun it will keep a very tight pattern. Between the T shot and a Dead Coyote choke I would be  comfortable taking 'yotes out to about 75yds.

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
No.  Just no.  Birdshot is for birds.  There have been numerous tests done with Birdshot (Like Box o' Truth) that shows that it fairly ineffective, especially if the target is wearing clothing.

00 Buck or slugs or even better, a home defense round as Ben mentioned.   Leave the birdshot for birds.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 05:47:03 PM »

CA WARNING -- Ammunition.
CA WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Discharging firearms in poorly ventilated areas, cleaning firearms, or handling ammunition may result in exposure to lead and other substances known to cause birth defects, reproductive harm, and other serious physical injury. Have adequate ventilation at all times. Wash hands thoroughly after exposure.

So ammunition can be bad for your health.  Good to know.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 06:08:19 PM »
I always used #4 buck. Big enough but not TOO big.

There is always THIS little wonder...https://www.full30.com/video/60508e64f16c91fae812bb532f2b96c1
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »
I think if one is in a position of having to shoot a home invader, I would not want him coming around later or a few years later with a monumental grudge.  Use what will put him in the ground.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 07:17:16 PM »
Birdshot is for birds - small birdshot is specified for SMALL birds (grouse, quail, etc.) and not large birds (turkey). Though I won't volunteer to stand in front of even a little .410 loaded with skeet ammo, if I were using a shotgun for self defense, I'd use 00 or 000 buck.

Think about this - if your assailant is a 6'5" 300 lb steroid pumped bad guy in full leathers with a handful of PCP up his nose, do you REALLY want to use something that's considered suitable for quail but NOT recommended for a 20 lb. turkey? Would even a load designed for a 20 lb turkey be suitable for something 15 times bigger and a LOT meaner?

(Didn't the lawyer Dick Cheney shot in the face with birdshot survive the experience?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JN01

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 08:21:46 PM »

(Didn't the lawyer Dick Cheney shot in the face with birdshot survive the experience?)

Yeah, but it usually takes a stake through the heart or sunlight to put down a lawyer.  =)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »
This popped up on my Tube of U today: Thunder Ranch, the truth about terminal ballistics.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 11:12:02 PM »
Yeah, but it usually takes a stake through the heart or sunlight to put down a lawyer.  =)

Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 11:31:33 PM »
I keep my 870 loaded with the Remington Managed Recoil buckshot.  It's 00 Buck, 8 pellets per shell.  I like the reduced recoil, especially since (1) I might need to fire from my left shoulder, which is very recoil sensitive since I damaged it pretty badly in 2015, and (2) inside my house, I probably won'e be firing from a textbook stance.

I remember reading years ago that the key with respect to shot size and defensive use depends entirely on the range.  At close rage (think across the bed) shot size is probably irrelevant.  The load will barely spread, and you'll end up with a really messy single wound I once heard described as a rat hole (think about a rat chewing its way through something).  Extend the range to the longer (longest in my home would be around 12 yards) and you start to get spread.  With spread, you start to see lighter and smaller shot penetrate less, which negatively impacts stopping power.  So larger, heavier pellets penetrate better, helping stopping power.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 11:56:21 PM »
Use buck. I like #4 buck because out of two of my short guns it is minute of bad guy at seven yards. Like every minute on the target. I also like 00 and slugs. I like slugs too much probably, takes the scatter right out of scattergun, but they get things done.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 12:35:30 AM »
As others have said, birdshot is for birds.  My home defense shotgun is stoked with Federal Flite-Control 00 buck.  The last round in the tube is a 3" magnum slug.   I figure it's an audible and tactile reminder to "RELOAD STUPID!"  That plus if for whatever reason 6 rounds of 00 buck doesn't stop it, hopefully the slug will.

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 12:56:59 AM »
The responses here seem to assume a human target. Perhaps the OP is concerned about a feathered fiend. An avian assailant. A bloodthirsty bird.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 12:57:17 AM »
As others have said, birdshot is for birds.  My home defense shotgun is stoked with Federal Flite-Control 00 buck.  The last round in the tube is a 3" magnum slug.   I figure it's an audible and tactile reminder to "RELOAD STUPID!"  That plus if for whatever reason 6 rounds of 00 buck doesn't stop it, hopefully the slug will.

Sound logic, but the last round being dragons breath would also fulfill that function. Talk about protective fire. I just, but somewhere there is a story about a cop who was screwing around with the things and left them in the gun. That his wife grabbed to shoot someone coming in the window. Hilarity ensued.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 08:28:55 AM »
Military and LEO don’t use birdshot.  Gotta be a reason.  😉

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
Lots of good thoughts here, but I would ask a question in reply. What are proponents of defensive birdshot seeking from that ammunition selection?

If I had no superior shotgun ammunition I would go with it, but otherwise I stick with 00 or slug.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
Lots of good thoughts here, but I would ask a question in reply. What are proponents of defensive birdshot seeking from that ammunition selection?

If I had no superior shotgun ammunition I would go with it, but otherwise I stick with 00 or slug.

I won't speak for Millcreek, but my guess for many people is unwanted penetration. Something I had to consider during my previous 20 years of thin walled condo dwelling. Also one of the reasons I went with Dead Coyote, with the thinking that the T size shot + frangible qualities would be an adequate compromise.

Admittedly, it begs the question that if you're worried about penetrating walls with your shotgun rounds, you should also have the same worry with your +P 9mm pistol rounds.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »

I don't think anybody here is a proponent of birdshot.  It's just a matter of looking at the pluses and minuses of "if that's all ya got" and where the kid's bedroom is.

For myself, I was surprised (circa mid 1970s) at how much damage an ounce of 7 1/2 shot moving at around 1200 feet per second can do to a 2 X 4 at about ten feet*.  An ounce of almost anything at 10 feet and around --call it 1200 f/s --is pretty ummm.... shall we say, "impacty"?

Terry, 230RN

* Full-choke 30" barrel, upland game load.  I doubt that it's much different regardless of choke or barrel length, but I only did this one time, that one time to verify my theory that "I wouldn't want to be standing in front of it."  At least not at a distance of 0.8 living rooms.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 05:53:01 PM »
I think being on the receiving end a high-brass load of No. 4 shot would ruin somebody's day.  (That's a turkey load, ain't it?)  But it might not stop a determined attacker.  OTOH it might, and if that's what you got...

No. 4 buckshot would be *much* better.  I think those are .22" pellets.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 08:16:09 PM »
The responses here seem to assume a human target. Perhaps the OP is concerned about a feathered fiend. An avian assailant. A bloodthirsty bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHmI6YPovyg

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »
I won't speak for Millcreek, but my guess for many people is unwanted penetration. Something I had to consider during my previous 20 years of thin walled condo dwelling. Also one of the reasons I went with Dead Coyote, with the thinking that the T size shot + frangible qualities would be an adequate compromise.

Admittedly, it begs the question that if you're worried about penetrating walls with your shotgun rounds, you should also have the same worry with your +P 9mm pistol rounds.
As you implied your last point, I have yet to see a cartridge capable of providing worthwhile and reliable performance against an attacker that can also be stopped or made substantially less dangerous by a typical interior wall.  You can pretty much choose one or the other.