Author Topic: A little home town Jackbooted Thuggery?  (Read 1105 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
A little home town Jackbooted Thuggery?
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:32:53 PM »
Oklahoma has a ballot initiative to legalize medical marijuana coming up tomorrow.
Our county sheriff is, no surprisingly, against it.
There was a public informational forum held last week to enable our elected betters to tell us why it is a bad thing.
During the public forum a few supporters had the unmitigated gall to ask uncomfortable questions. The leader of the drive to legalize pot was forcibly ejected from the meeting by the Rogers County Sheriff.
Several videos out, none show the individual being disruptive nor do they show anyone asking or telling him to leave, they just grabbed him and manhandled him out the door.

http://www.newson6.com/story/38459506/sheriff-forces-medical-marijuana-supporter-out-of-rogers-county-forum

https://www.facebook.com/kjrhtv/videos/10151064542564990/

The 2nd video shows a pretty obvious head slam into the door by the Sheriff.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
Re: A little home town Jackbooted Thuggery?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 07:57:53 PM »
It's a tough sell in this part of the county but hey Arkansas did it.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »
In answer to your question in the title..... Yes.

bob

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »
Which thread was it someone was arguing “republicans” or “conservatives” weren’t against civil rights/freedom of speech?

This type of stuff is why I would not vote for republicans for many years and voted libertarian or even sometimes democrat and was registered as independent for a long time...

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 08:55:09 PM »
You know I had a friend visit from Colorado a couple months ago, it was a week of the best I have felt since the cancer.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 01:32:11 PM »
Today is our election day. State office primaries and a couple of state questions. Of particular interest is SQ788, the Medical Marijuana question. Our paper ballots are done on multiple sheets, Dem primary, Rep Primary and the state questions. Seeing reports that poll workers are "forgetting" present the ballot with SQ788 on it.
I'll be going down to vote in a few minutes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »
Sheriff's elections are very important. Most of the time, the Sheriff is not a factor, but when he/she is, they can be a great advocate for or against freedoms.
If you have a Sheriff who wants to be a representative of Federal power and enforcer of Federal law over local law, he /she has to go. This issue is far more reaching than marijuana legalization.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »
Sheriff's elections are very important. Most of the time, the Sheriff is not a factor, but when he/she is, they can be a great advocate for or against freedoms.
If you have a Sheriff who wants to be a representative of Federal power and enforcer of Federal law over local law, he /she has to go. This issue is far more reaching than marijuana legalization.

Yes, local politics can be very important.  

https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85417&hilit=waller+county
Here is a thread from another forum.  Public buildings that are not courthouses are not supposed to restrict concealed carry in Texas and there is a method for filing a complaint with state.  This county sued a guy for complaining too much.  A higher court slapped the county people down, but it these things happen.  

IMO, this sort of stuff can't be laid at the feet solely of Repubs or Conservatives.  It just means a lot of idiots think the purpose of govt is to run other people's lives.  I think you see that on all sides.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 05:40:34 PM »
Our current sheriff is fairly popular. In large part because so far he has pretty well limited his jack booted thuggery to the little people. With the continued rise of social media though I suspect more of his departments chicanery will be revealed.
I've never been much of a fan but when he first ran for office I was involved in setting up a public forum with him and a couple of other candidates.
All the candidates were specifically questioned about their willingness to sign off on NFA paperwork. All stated they would do so.
Walton was elected and has refused to sign off on 3 apps that I know of personally stating that he does not believe "civilians" should have access to such things.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 04:22:10 PM »
Walton was elected and has refused to sign off on 3 apps that I know of personally stating that he does not believe "civilians" should have access to such things.

The implication there is that he went back on his word, but do you really know all about the background of those "rejects" or what NFA classifications they wanted?

This is not to say that people running for office cannot lie about their true positions, but the question arises.

???

Yes, the Sheriff elections are important but my feeling is the ones who are appointed are the ones to really keep an eye on.

Terry

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »
The implication there is that he went back on his word, but do you really know all about the background of those "rejects" or what NFA classifications they wanted?

This is not to say that people running for office cannot lie about their true positions, but the question arises.

???

Yes, the Sheriff elections are important but my feeling is the ones who are appointed are the ones to really keep an eye on.

Terry

Assuming that the individuals weren't Felons or prohibited persons (Something that would be caught by the ATF while processing the Form 4/ Form 1, what justifiable reason would a Sheriff have for declineing to sign those forms?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 07:24:37 PM »
The report from a friend I have some trust in that was refused, was that the sheriff stated he didn't like the idea of civilians having those kinds of weapons, he was trying to get a suppressor.

Samuel Adams