Author Topic: Fitness Watches?  (Read 2413 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Fitness Watches?
« on: June 30, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »
Anybody here (Jamis?) using fitness watches? I'd like to hear what you think of them.

I've been running a lot more lately and am getting tired of running with my phone in my hand. I know I could wear an armband, but I like to check the Samsung Health app as I run, since it gives me pace and other info, which means running with the phone in my hand. Also when I'm doing other exercises like punching the heavy bag, I just start the exercise tracker but put the phone down, so I miss it recording my body movements.

I'm thinking of going to a fitness watch. I see Samsung makes them and it looks like it integrates the Health app (I really like the Samsung Health app, but am not married to it) with my other devices, so I could still see my history, etc. on my phone. Plus have the added benefit of recording my heart rate without putting a dang chest band on.

Anyway, input appreciated.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Fitness Watches?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
I've owned two, an Up and a Garmin Vivosmart HR.

The Up was just a simple band with no display, but the app was great.  GPS route mapping and and it seemed to do a good job of estimating calories burned.  No HR feature though, and the band itself was garbage.  I replaced it with:

The Garmin Vivosmart HR has (shockingly) heart rate monitoring, but it seems to be wildly inaccurate.  Since it ties HR into calories burned, I've noticed huge disparities in calories burned from one day to the next despite similar levels of activity each day.  The inaccuracy of the HR monitor is easily confirmed by taking my own pulse with a clock nearby.  It often tells me my HR is between 90-100 bps when I can easily verify that it's ~60 bps with a clock.  Because of this, I only use the darn thing as a step counter and as an actual wristwatch.  Oh, and no GPS route mapping on this model, and the app kind of sucks.

So really, I can't recommend either of them.  I'm interested to see other responses here.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 12:15:30 PM »
I have the vivoactive hr.  As long as I have it adjusted and not too loose, the HR seems to be close enough for what I need it for.
GPS tracking tied to the app, no gps mapping.  However, it runs independently of the app, so you can have your phone off and it'll update whenever they sync.
Wet HR is way off, it'll show 140 while I'm in the shower.
Very long battery life, I get 5-6 days including several vigorous bike rides or workouts on it.
I like it.  I won't say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread but I'm happy with all the things it does. 
IDLife is partnered with Garmin and I'm an authorized dealer.  It, however, is not an actual part of the network marketing business so I don't bother advertising it other than as a credibility link.  I think my discount is 15% and I'm happy to pass that price along if you see something you want.  https://jasondunaway.idlife.com/shop/t/categories/garmin
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »
I have an old Fitbit One, and its battery is about shot.  Been thinking about getting a watch-type.  (posting this mainly to subscribe to the thread)
"It's good, though..."

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 02:24:08 PM »
I originally had a FitBit Charge 2 but got an Apple Watch to use a specific cardiology app.  I now wear both — but I wear the FitBit only because Apple Watch won’t sync with FitBit and I have FitBit “friends” I want to maintain.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 05:55:28 PM »
Another thing I was just thinking is that I have to consider how easy the screen is to read. I'm needing to lean on reading glasses more and more these days and it won't help me if I can't read anything on the watch face.

So it sounds like with many of them, HR can be a bit twitchy. I suppose if they have an option to bluetooth a chest band, if I'm really concerned about that I can just keep using my chest band monitor.

Jamis- thanks for that info. I was looking at the Samsungs mostly for the software compatibility since I have a long history built up in Samsung Health. However, software aside and/or if Samsungs are poorly reviewed or lacking features I want, Garmin would be around the top of my list on hardware. If I do decide to give one of these a go and choose Garmin,  I'll certainly give you a shout.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 06:09:30 PM »
I was just looking at the Garmins. I'd not seen the Fenix line before. Holy crap - that 5X is the bomb. A little pricey though.  :laugh:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 06:30:08 PM »
^^^If I won the lottery, I would buy a Fenix 5 or Chronos.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 10:36:25 PM »
^^^If I won the lottery, I would buy a Fenix 5 or Chronos.

No worse than a decent pistol,  why wait for the lottery to strike?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 07:32:50 AM »

This.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 08:55:14 AM »

Because I ponder the box in my closet of old Palm Pilots, Blackberrys, smartphones, tablets and other electronic gizmos that became outdated and useless in a relatively short time.  I think about spending hundreds of dollars on a smart watch that will likely be in the box within a couple of years.  Whereas if I spend that money on a M&P Shield or something, I will still be using it 20 years from now.  Spending a couple of hundred on a smart watch may be one thing, but $ 500 plus gives me pause.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 09:17:03 AM »
Because I ponder the box in my closet of old Palm Pilots, Blackberrys, smartphones, tablets and other electronic gizmos that became outdated and useless in a relatively short time.  I think about spending hundreds of dollars on a smart watch that will likely be in the box within a couple of years.  Whereas if I spend that money on a M&P Shield or something, I will still be using it 20 years from now.  Spending a couple of hundred on a smart watch may be one thing, but $ 500 plus gives me pause.

I can understand that logic, and it's kinda how I feel about smart phones these days. I will say that if that Fenix 5X Plus was $500, I'd actually seriously consider it this minute, but $900 is a bit rich for my blood for that particular device. Same thing that's currently keeping me from getting a Samsung S9.

I've spent $500 on a Citizen Ecodrive in the past, and the 5X Plus does a lot more stuff than the Ecodrive does. Reading some reviews, apparently Garmin somewhat plays the "Apple game" with their watches - selling their latest, greatest flagship versions for a "name premium" price. It seems to be the #1 complaint about the Fenix line.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 01:43:37 AM »
Fiddle. I have $200 dive watch that not only looks sexy, it has an ultra-accurate second hand. Case is solid stainless steel, and impervious to 660 feet of water. Big numbers I can read easily. I can figure my heart rate easily with no squinting.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 02:03:31 AM »
Good analog dive watch with an accurate second hand will give you equally accurate results. And can be used on other persons, easily. A good one, you can even hear the ticks. Like mine.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 04:34:20 AM »
One should strive to use the right tool for the job.  Just because you can use something for a task doesn't  mean it's optimized.

I'd put money that my watch's second hand is more accurate than your dive watches, as I use it for navigation.  But my Garmin Forerunner tracks changes in heart rate and stores them on a graph better than either of our analog watches.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 09:14:37 AM »
One should strive to use the right tool for the job.  Just because you can use something for a task doesn't  mean it's optimized.

I'd put money that my watch's second hand is more accurate than your dive watches, as I use it for navigation.  But my Garmin Forerunner tracks changes in heart rate and stores them on a graph better than either of our analog watches.

Same reason dive watches worn by scuba divers are worn mostly as an "I'm a diver" symbol. Most divers get the time off their dive computer. :)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 10:46:56 AM »
One thing I love about the watch I use is that it does so much more than just a heartrate. 
One of the best things is that no matter what bike I'm on I can get all the things like speed and distance.  I didn't even bother putting a cyclometer on my gravel bike.
JD

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 01:30:50 PM »
I'm not knocking tech-watches. If they work for you, great!
Pointing out that they are not the only alternative.
(And yes, I am a certified Open Water diver by SSI)
Along those lines...who cares? Wear whatever you want, work with whatever tool works for you.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 07:33:43 PM »
I'm not knocking tech-watches. If they work for you, great!
Pointing out that they are not the only alternative.
(And yes, I am a certified Open Water diver by SSI)
Along those lines...who cares? Wear whatever you want, work with whatever tool works for you.

Really hard to take my pulse at the wrist or cortorid on a sustained climb on the bike  ;)
JD

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 03:14:42 PM »
I've been using a Fitbit Ionic since last January.  Pulse reading is within one or two beats per minute of that given by my %SpO2 meter and BP cuff.  Their App is available for iOS (which I use) and Android, and the GPS lets me log my walking distance for later review as well as letting my see my route without the laborious point to point marking on Bing maps as I was doing prior to getting the device.  As a bonus it will also store and replay music through Bluetooth headphones or earbuds.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 11:56:55 AM »
Dammit. The more I read about the Fenix 5X Plus, and the more Youtube reviews I watch, the more I dig it. It has some features I would likely never use, like Garmin Pay. However it has some really cool features. While it's more of a "want" than a "need", that new O2 sensor is pretty cool, especially since I've been doing the higher altitude rucks these last few years. Apparently Garmin is getting into the medical device game, so it's supposed to be a pretty accurate sensor.

But that darn price. Plus since it's a new release, I'm guessing it won't come down much in the next year. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be an Amazon Prime Day special.  :laugh:  Otherwise, I have a ton of Amex points, and while I wouldn't use them for the full watch price, a few times a year Amex does a 25% discount on point purchases. That could bring the price into acceptable territory.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 01:06:40 PM »
Dammit. The more I read about the Fenix 5X Plus, and the more Youtube reviews I watch, the more I dig it. It has some features I would likely never use, like Garmin Pay. However it has some really cool features. While it's more of a "want" than a "need", that new O2 sensor is pretty cool, especially since I've been doing the higher altitude rucks these last few years. Apparently Garmin is getting into the medical device game, so it's supposed to be a pretty accurate sensor.

But that darn price. Plus since it's a new release, I'm guessing it won't come down much in the next year. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be an Amazon Prime Day special.  :laugh:  Otherwise, I have a ton of Amex points, and while I wouldn't use them for the full watch price, a few times a year Amex does a 25% discount on point purchases. That could bring the price into acceptable territory.

Even if you use my 15% it's still over 7 hunnit.  :laugh:
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 01:22:46 PM »
Even if you use my 15% it's still over 7 hunnit.  :laugh:

I know. I was calculating that first and still couldn't get out of "don't think I could justify it" territory. Even if I can do the Amex 25% thing, that's still into "barely tolerable" territory.

As a few of the replies alluded to above, if this were a gun or something similar, I'd have no problem justifying it, even as a "luxury whim". It's just that this, like a $900 Samsung phone, is hard for me to open my pockets for when it's going to be obsolete in 2-3 years. A $1000 gun will still be of service 30 years from now. :)

We'll see. I might still do something stupid.  :laugh:

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 02:21:23 PM »
What about the ones at the other end of the spectrum?  Not necessarily this one in particular, but how about this: https://smile.amazon.com/LETSCOM-Fitness-Activity-Waterproof-Pedometer/dp/B0779W3JZK?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 10:27:08 PM »
What about the ones at the other end of the spectrum?  Not necessarily this one in particular, but how about this: https://smile.amazon.com/LETSCOM-Fitness-Activity-Waterproof-Pedometer/dp/B0779W3JZK?

The problem would be that I'd still have to carry my phone for the GPS functionality. As much as it's annoying sometimes, The Samsung Health "trainer" telling me my pace and to speed up or slow down is something I like. Also having mapping capability and trail history for hikes and stuff.

I know I didn't mention hiking in the OP, but the specs on the stupid Fenix got me to thinking how nice it would be to have everything integrated.