Author Topic: Taking new shooter to the range @10:00  (Read 5144 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Taking new shooter to the range @10:00
« on: July 07, 2018, 06:19:32 AM »
Going to shoot .22lr through one of my AR's, then .38, then .40 SW, then .223. Just so she kinda understands the different power levels/contralability. Should be fun!
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Taking new shooter to the range @10:00
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 06:24:05 AM »
Oh, and some 9mm between the .38 and .40.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 06:32:25 AM »
Controlability (spelled it incorrectly above). She is a Greenhorn. Never fired a gun in her entire life. Already discussed safety. I'll teach her correctly!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 08:05:26 AM »
With new shooters, I've found they can be kind of overwhelmed by a lot of different safety's triggers sights etc. they usually try to focus on being safe and everything is new.
I like to start them out with a .22 and let them shoot it until they are comfortable and let them guide what and how much they shoot next. They might also get exhausted sooner because of the higher stress reaction.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 08:35:52 AM »
Huh. Didn't consider. She wants a self-defense arm but doesn't know what she wants. Just trying to give her some choices. With your comments, I will bring an AR (CMMG bolt for .22 LR), my model 66 (just .38, no .357), and a 9mm. If she wants to shoot the full .357/.223 she may.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »
Intending to steer her towards a revolver to start. What do y'all think? For a brand-new shooter?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »
Intending to steer her towards a revolver to start. What do y'all think? For a brand-new shooter?

Depends on the size and strength of her hands.  Generally, I don't recommend revolvers for women/old/weak people.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »
Depends on the size and strength of her hands.  Generally, I don't recommend revolvers for women/old/weak people.

The Ruger LCR may be an exception to that, though a snubbie is not for everyone, especially new shooters. I don't keep up anymore, so don't know if other manufacturers have revolvers in other sizes with a similar DA trigger pull?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 09:24:48 AM »
I used to think revolvers first but now I think most new shooters, women especially do well with a mid size 9 or 380. My wife settled on a Glock 43 for SD and cc.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 09:27:33 AM »

Mid size 9mm auto, striker fired, no safety. Drill it into her that the safety is between the ears, not a mechanical device.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 09:33:24 AM »
I should add I wasn't arguing in favor of a revolver. I wasn't arguing against either. I think it always comes down to what the person comfortably shoots the best. I think in most cases, that's probably autos.

On the safety argument, I agree with "the safety is between the ears". If you're getting a gun for self defense, learn properly and practice regularly (or at the very, very, very least, a few times year). If you're just going to shoot a few different guns, pick one, then stick it in the nightstand lockbox and maybe take it out to look at once a year, it probably doesn't matter if it's a .22 revolver or a .50AE. :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:25:50 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 09:40:40 AM »
Really? I figured a revolver would be perfect for someone new. Simple to operate, simple to make safe.
Toni is *very* strong. She regularly handles an 800 lb. motorcycle.
She's also...how might I say it gently...absent-minded? A bit?

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 10:04:53 AM »
Perhaps I'll steer her towards a 1911-style 9mm. Grip safety/thumb safety. I have a Springfield EMP4 9mm carry but that's a 1K hand gun. (I didn't pay that but that's what it retails for and it's *MINE* *My baby*) Or, my CZ-75 compact?
Getting ahead of myself. Once we get back, if y'all will allow, I'll pick your brains once again.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 10:36:49 AM »
I tend towards a DA revo for novices wanting a house gun. Simple, effective, and several fewer things that can fail in a defense situation. No potential for limp-wristing. No controls to remember or accidently engage. No tap/rack/bang drills. It's point and click with second strike capability

That being said, if the person seems more comfortable with an SA and is willing to sufficiently learn the basics of operation and emergency clearing drills, go with their preference.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
Time will tell but I think I agree with Brad. For Antoinette, an SA/DA revolver .38/.357 would be the right choice. If she wants to go with a semi-auto she certainly has the choice.
Again, we'll see what she likes here soon!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 11:27:12 AM »
Make sure of adequate hearing protection.  I had that once with a first-timer.  I didn't realize that her hair, earrings, and glasses could interfere with the sealing.

Also, when getting to the high powered stuff (or if someone nearby is) warn her about the concussive slap, especially indoors.  That bothered my first time lady friend until she learned to ignore it.  Guy next to us was shooting a 239 X 785 mm round.  Or something like that.

Terry

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »
One thing I've seen a couple of times with women is that if they wear a low-cut shirt that exposes their cleavage there is like a 99% chance that a hot case will find its way in there.

It happened to my wife, the case somehow got jammed up against her skin by the underwire, and she carried an underboob scar for quite a while. It also happened to a woman in the lane next to me and she did the Dance of Pain while holding her gun. Fortunately the person she was with kept her from leaving the stall. Otherwise who knows what kind of gyrations she would have made and what might have happened with such a panicked person waving a gun around.

Now these both happened on an indoor range with lane separators where cases can bounce off of them and then off go in random directions. It's not such a problem in an open area unless you have shooters next to each other and one is throwing brass towards the other.

And for the same reason suggest close-toed shoes. That's one I did to myself. Wore Birkenstocks to the range and ended up doing an impromptu one-legged kick-dance as a hot .40 case took up temporary residence in my sandal.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
For a novice shooter, I generally recommend a 3-4 inch stainless .357 revolver, for all the reasons mentioned by Brad.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
Toni is *very* strong. She regularly handles an 800 lb. motorcycle.

So, she drives an 800 pound motorcycle at highway speeds without killing herself or others, yet she can't handle a semi-auto pistol?  Something is not adding up.

By all means, let her try the revolver and the other guns, but don't box her into the "too dumb to operated a semi-auto" just yet.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 12:42:03 PM »
I tend towards a DA revo for novices wanting a house gun. Simple, effective, and several fewer things that can fail in a defense situation. No potential for limp-wristing. No controls to remember or accidently engage. No tap/rack/bang drills. It's point and click with second strike capability

That being said, if the person seems more comfortable with an SA and is willing to sufficiently learn the basics of operation and emergency clearing drills, go with their preference.

Brad

They all have complications.  Stuff to wrap one's head around.     Everyone knows about triggers from TeeVee and such.  Even the simplest autoloader has a bunch of extra control buttons and levers.   Revolvers are simple, until it's time to reload.  Then there's another bunch of controls, and fiddly motions.

It just has to be learned.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
Revolvers are simple, until it's time to reload.  Then there's another bunch of controls, and fiddly motions.

Correct, but the number of controls and fiddly motions involved in loading a typical DA revolver is a fraction of the number needed for the loading and charging of a semi auto. The same applies for use and FTF situations.

In practical/applied terms, the only control needing familiarization on a DA revo is the cylinder latch. Inserting catridges and closing the cylinder are a reasonably intuitive action even for those absolutely unfamiliar with firearms. Firing a DA revolver is simularly intuitive... point and click. The same can't be said of a semi auto, in either preparation or usage terms.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 02:10:17 PM »
I have an H&R .22 break-top. It unloads itself for you! One less bit of fiddlin' to worry about!*

*Unless an empty gets stuck under the star.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 03:04:51 PM »
I have been interested to see the number of older shooters of my acquaintance who have switched or gone back to a revolver for everyday carry.  The reason is diminishing hand or grip strength making it difficult to work a semi auto slide with a strong spring.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 04:14:01 PM »
Fly320s - she had never fired a gun until this morning. Ever.
Ok so after shooting .38 from a revolver (SW mod. 66), 9mm from a 1911 Springfield EMP, some 22LR from one of my M4's with a conversion kit, and watching me fire 5.56 Nato from same M4...

She wants the semi-auto 9mm 1911 Springfield EMP. We went to lunch after, and discussed a bit. (Great fish and chips at Steel Bender and their Skull Bucket IPA is fantastic by the way!)

I wouldn't have bet on that at 100:1 odds. I thought for sure she would go for the revolver. Going to work on getting her set up.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 04:19:48 PM »
Folks, would you mind too terribly if she joined our little group? Would love to have her around here.