Author Topic: Smart Phones Again  (Read 5019 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Smart Phones Again
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2018, 03:30:09 PM »
If you want to invest a little effort (probably about 2 hours), you can install and set up nova launcher, which allows you to do just about anything you want with icons, symbols, text, arrangement of your home screens.  Pretty fantastic tool.  Doesn't require cracking the phone in any way.  Nova is available in the regular app store.

I'm familiar with Nova Launcher, but have always gotten by on the native launchers. Well, till now anyway.  :laugh:

I'm gonna see how things go with the updated fonts to make the icon text stand out more. If it flies, I'll leave things be. If it's still too hard to see stuff, I think I might just try Nova Launcher. I have always heard very good things about it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2018, 12:44:36 PM »
Well, three days in the pros are far outweighing the cons.  :laugh:

Downloading that "Samsung Sans" font really helped with the icon text. Between that, using icon frames, and keeping the icons at the 4x6 or whatever the larger spacing is seems to pretty much be doing the trick. I've even got the display back to the default zoom setting and only "medium large" text instead of "huge". It can still be a little hard to see stuff in low light, but then that goes for menus in dark restaurants, etc., so I can live with that. :)

Otherwise, I am REALLY liking all the new settings features. I was still getting Android OS updates on the S5 up till about six months ago, but these settings are way different. I'm not sure if it's the Android OS for the newer phone or if it's because it's an unlocked phone with just whatever comes from Samsung vs the bloat and changes Verizon throws on their phones. If the former, it's another reason to only buy unlocked from now on. Among other things,  I really like all the ways I can adjust the lock screen - location, linked devices, apps, etc. It makes it super convenient, especially around the house or in the vehicles.

The only thing  I still don't like, and I know I'm a weirdo for it, is the small and thin form factor combined with the curved glass. Before the case showed up, I was gonna nickname the phone "Slippery Pete" because it was constantly shooting out of my hand like a greased pig. Or else to grip it well, my fingers would be half covering the screen and the sides of my hands would be pushing buttons. I know most people prefer the small and light, but it makes it harder for me. Throwing the Otterbox Defender on it made all the difference. It fits in my hand much better with the increased size, and the rubber outer layer makes it much easier to keep the phone in my hand with a light grip. The S5 I could always hold easily with or without the rugged case. Not so this one.

A funny thing is that on the Samsung Health app, while the AI is still female, she has gone to a slightly different tone of voice. The "running" function keeps you updated on distance, pace, etc. The one on the S5 always sounded like the perfect Stepford Wife. "Keep up this pace" always sounded like, "You're awesome and wonderful! Keep doing what you're doing!" I went running with the new one this morning. She sounds like a nagging Harridan.  "Keep up this pace" sounds like, "Don't think about slowing down you lazy, fat pig! And take out the garbage when you get back!".  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2018, 02:00:36 PM »
Turn off the Auto Brightness. That'll solve the low-light issues. Their prediction alghorhythm leaves screen brightness too low for me. Access the setting by swiping down from the top to open Quick settings the select the drop down arrown next to the Brightness slider.

I got a Beetle Unicorn case for my S7. I think they make one for the curved-screen phones now. Been very happy with it.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB