Author Topic: Cottonwood  (Read 1482 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Cottonwood
« on: July 08, 2018, 08:51:19 PM »
Is there anything cottonwood is marketable for?  I know it sucks as firewood, and aside from pallets there is not much lumber potential.

I have half a dozen fairly large ones that we just had to cut down.  I'd like to find something other than hoping someone responds to a Craigslist add for free logs.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Cottonwood
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:57:03 PM »
Whatcha going to replace them with?  After living in the Appalachian hardwood forest (NY), where trees grew like weeds, when I came out to Colorado I started to regard trees as precious and valuable things.

Funny, I was going to write something about the cottonwood fluffballs flying around a week or so ago making me think it was snowing for a second.

I noticed cottonwoods are smart enough to not start budding out until after the wet branch-breaking snows of early spring.  Imported trees start budding too early and get punished for it.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:00:44 PM »
Now that the local PNW paper mills are all pretty much out of business, I cannot really think of a local commercial use for cottonwood.  Crown Zellerbach had some cottonwood groves here in Snohomish county to feed the paper mill in Everett. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=35542.0

Toilet paper, framing, scaffolding, indoor beams, flooring...
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:44:24 AM »
You use it like you would pine logs.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 11:04:38 AM »
Is there anything cottonwood is marketable for? 

Continued success and business welfare of the antihistamine industry?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=35542.0

Toilet paper, framing, scaffolding, indoor beams, flooring...

Ship 'em to fIstful, he could use them as basement jacks...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 02:13:23 PM »
I remember it stinks when you cut it.  Don't know if it stinks after curing.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 05:40:37 PM »
I have a couple of bit cottonwood trees.  I burn any debris in my fire pit.  Makes a nice winter fire.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
I remember it stinks when you cut it.  Don't know if it stinks after curing.

Never noticed that, but elm stinks when you cut it.  That's probably what you're thinking of.

I cut a lot of cottonwood for firewood, because we have 40 acres of southern Colorado river bottom and lots of dead trees from the drought.  I use cottonwood because: A) That's what we have.  Hardwoods aren't exactly in abundance in Colorado, and B)  It actually burns cleanly and quite well.  A couple of splits will last an hour or so in the wood stove.  The rare hardwoods we get are Siberian elm (not so good) and Mulberry, Ash, or Black Locust (very good, but rare).  The hardwoods are for "overnighters" here.

My theory is that the cottonwoods here grow slowly and more dense because of the elevation.  I have trees at least 120 years old on the place.  And, I recently found out, you can actually use cottonwood for meat smoking.  The taste is pretty good.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »
I'll be posting the logs on Craigslist for free.  Hopefully someone takes them.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 12:01:10 AM »
Never noticed that, but elm stinks when you cut it.  That's probably what you're thinking of.

I cut a lot of cottonwood for firewood, because we have 40 acres of southern Colorado river bottom and lots of dead trees from the drought.  I use cottonwood because: A) That's what we have.  Hardwoods aren't exactly in abundance in Colorado, and B)  It actually burns cleanly and quite well.  A couple of splits will last an hour or so in the wood stove.  The rare hardwoods we get are Siberian elm (not so good) and Mulberry, Ash, or Black Locust (very good, but rare).  The hardwoods are for "overnighters" here.

My theory is that the cottonwoods here grow slowly and more dense because of the elevation.  I have trees at least 120 years old on the place.  And, I recently found out, you can actually use cottonwood for meat smoking.  The taste is pretty good.

FYI, cottonwood is a hardwood. Hardwood is defined as a deciduous tree. Softwood is defined as conifer trees.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 12:34:45 AM »
I got some free cottonwood firewood (unsplit) a few years ago.  I think I got more heat from the exercise splitting it than from burning it.  It was very difficult to split (very soft and stringy, and the axe would embed and get stuck), and when I burned it it seemed to have negative BTU's -- it soaked up all the heat from the good wood I had to mix with it to keep it going, and sent all that heat up the stovepipe.
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 12:42:40 AM »
I got some free cottonwood firewood (unsplit) a few years ago.  I think I got more heat from the exercise splitting it than from burning it.  It was very difficult to split (very soft and stringy, and the axe would embed and get stuck), and when I burned it it seemed to have negative BTU's -- it soaked up all the heat from the good wood I had to mix with it to keep it going, and sent all that heat up the stovepipe.

Cottonwood absorbs moisture from the air.  So if it's at all humid, or it gets rained on, it'll probably quickly go from bone dry to sopping wet throughout in a hurry.  That's what makes it such a crappy firewood.  If you can get it actually dry it's not so bad, but short of a kiln that's difficult.  I've heard of people stacking it in a weather tight she'd with a fanto circulate air that did OK burning it.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »
FYI, cottonwood is a hardwood. Hardwood is defined as a deciduous tree. Softwood is defined as conifer trees.

Classified as a hardwood, yes, but pine has more BTUs per cord.  Cottonwood is of the poplar family.  Another member of the poplar family is Aspen, which we have a lot of.  Aspen's only saving grace is, it will burn when green.

It was very difficult to split (very soft and stringy, and the axe would embed and get stuck),

It actually splits nicely when dry.  Our average rainfall here is around 12", and our humidity is usually around 15%, so it dries out easily here.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 10:03:43 PM »
I have thousands of cottonwoods. You want standing dead it is usually dry. It make a nice fire but does not put out the heat of oak or osage orange.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG