Author Topic: Trump's SCOTUS pick is....  (Read 5260 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Trump's SCOTUS pick is....
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:16:58 AM »
already being decried and protested against and it's not 9am yet...

And the left is going to stroke out this week, what with the SCOTUS pick, NATO Summit and summit with Putin. They won't know whether to poop or go blind...As every day will bring a fresh outrage.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Trump's SCOTUS pick is....
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:40:51 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:48:33 AM »
At this point if Trump nominated a clone/cross of Ginsberg and Sotomeyer the left would still find something to object to.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:26:00 AM »
I signed onto the Virginia Dems mailing list last year. Mostly it's an annoying whine festival of GIVEMONEYGIVEMONEYGIVEMONEYGIVEMONEYGIVEMONEYGIVEMONEY, which I expected, but sometimes there's absolute comedy gold to be found in their Chickenshit Little screeches of "THE SKY IS FALLING AND DONALD TRUMP IS EATING OUR SOULS!"

The one from Tim Kaine last week was just delicious in its schadenfreude, wrapped in a layer of crunchy irony and bitter tears...

I summarize them on my Facebook page for the amusement of my right-thinking friends and to the absolute fury of the liberals on my friends list...

Latest shriek from Tim Kaine...

MIKE!!!! In 2016, the Republican Senate leadership established a precedent when it refused to take up the Supreme Court nomination of Judge Merrick Garland: Do not fill a Supreme Court vacancy in an election year!!!

TIM!!!!! Why not just filibust....

Oh... right....

Hugs and kisses to Harry Reid...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:26:16 AM »
There is a Fox News article today where they sent a reporter to ask New York University students about Trumps supposed pick. They were all fire and brimstone, end of the world gnashing of teeth about how awful it was until the reporter asked for the nominee's name.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »
I love that he tweeted last night about his upcoming pick... he just did it to trigger and cause an extended mass amygdala response in a segment of the population.
There are millions of people on edge and ready to lose their *expletive deleted*it when he makes his announcement.

Best.President.Ever.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »
I love that he tweeted last night about his upcoming pick... he just did it to trigger and cause an extended mass amygdala response in a segment of the population.
There are millions of people on edge and ready to lose their *expletive deleted*it when he makes his announcement.

Best.President.Ever.

When Trump was first running, I was very opposed to him for a myriad of reasons. One of lesser import was that he seems brash, trollish, and crude. Not "Presidential."

As I've warmed up to him (and many of my other misgivings have, at least, so far, been allayed) I've decided I'm happy with someone brash and crude in the Oval Office.

The president ISN'T special. He is just like everyone else and I think it's useful to have someone with obvious personality flaws in the office to remind people that the president isn't and should not be considered "better" than that. Whoever he is, he's a man, and has failings and flaws, just like everyone else.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 12:08:21 PM »
We've had brash, crude and unrefined presidents before.  Andrew Jacskson, comes to mind.  He gets big points for eliminating the debt and loses big points for the Indian Removal Act, but Congress has to own it's part in that also.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
We've had brash, crude and unrefined presidents before.  Andrew Jacskson, comes to mind.  He gets big points for eliminating the debt and loses big points for the Indian Removal Act, but Congress has to own it's part in that also.

That was my exact thought as I came around to this position.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 12:43:30 PM »
When Trump was first running, I was very opposed to him for a myriad of reasons. One of lesser import was that he seems brash, trollish, and crude. Not "Presidential."

As I've warmed up to him (and many of my other misgivings have, at least, so far, been allayed) I've decided I'm happy with someone brash and crude in the Oval Office.

The president ISN'T special. He is just like everyone else and I think it's useful to have someone with obvious personality flaws in the office to remind people that the president isn't and should not be considered "better" than that. Whoever he is, he's a man, and has failings and flaws, just like everyone else.

I'm the same way.  I didn't care for him during the campaign.  I voted Cruz in the Primary and wrote in Mattis in the General.   I was getting ready to bury some guns (subsequently lost in a tragic boating accident), and hunker down for Hillary.   After the election, I went back and read what he had posted as his positions/promises on his website (I had read them before the election and said "Yeah, right....whatever.)  I told people if he did even half of what he promised, he'd be a great president.  25% and he'd be "good enough".

Right now, I'd rate him at 75%.  (The lack of a wall, and Jeff Sessions/Russia are the disappoiontments.)

Can't wait to see the left head toward the fainting couches tonight.

Even this British MP gets it.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho3r7NwtsnA

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:56:58 PM by Amy Schumer »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 02:04:46 PM »
I wasn't a trump fan in the beginning but I like him more every day.
He is doing what he said he was going to do and he doesn't care if people like him. And he has almost made a sport out of rattling his political opponents.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 02:04:59 PM »
I'm the same way.  I didn't care for him during the campaign.  I voted Cruz in the Primary and wrote in Mattis in the General.   I was getting ready to bury some guns (subsequently lost in a tragic boating accident), and hunker down for Hillary.   After the election, I went back and read what he had posted as his positions/promises on his website (I had read them before the election and said "Yeah, right....whatever.)  I told people if he did even half of what he promised, he'd be a great president.  25% and he'd be "good enough".

Right now, I'd rate him at 75%.  (The lack of a wall, and Jeff Sessions/Russia are the disappoiontments.)

Can't wait to see the left head toward the fainting couches tonight.

Even this British MP gets it.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho3r7NwtsnA

That lack of wall you can pin directly on congress.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 02:11:12 PM »
That lack of wall you can pin directly on congress.

Yes and no.  Trump is the party leader and the wall has overwhelming public support.  He should be able to push it through.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 03:52:39 PM »
Yes and no.  Trump is the party leader and the wall has overwhelming public support.  He should be able to push it through.
And you can still lay that on Congress or at least the House and Senate leadership.  Ryan just had a compromise amnesty bill fall through so I am not sure what he thinks he is doing. 

The Democrats have become the pro illegal immigration party (and pro-drug lord party and pro human trafficking party) and are trying to block any attempt to pass funding for a wall.  And I don't think Ryan and McConnell want it bad enough. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »
And you can still lay that on Congress or at least the House and Senate leadership.  Ryan just had a compromise amnesty bill fall through so I am not sure what he thinks he is doing.  

The Democrats have become the pro illegal immigration party (and pro-drug lord party and pro human trafficking party) and are trying to block any attempt to pass funding for a wall.  And I don't think Ryan and McConnell don't want it bad enough.

Fixed.
Trump needs to play hard ball with Congress, especially with those two, to get funding for the wall.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 05:46:54 PM »
One piece of commentary I heard last week mentioned that one of the biggest election issues for Republican voters was border security.  I imagine it is a big issue for a lot of non-Republicans also.  Even though no wall has been built, Trump and a handful of other Republicans are the ONLY ones in favor of tighter border security.  The Democrats seem close to an open borders platform.  What I am getting at is that even if Trump hasn't built a wall yet, there is no one else out there trying to get those voters and Democrats are actively pushing them away.  We will see what happens in November.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 07:44:05 PM »
We've had brash, crude and unrefined presidents before.  Andrew Jacskson, comes to mind. 

So does Lydon Baines Johnson. They just don't come much brasher, cruder, and more unrefined than LBJ.

In the "privacy" of the white house tapes, Nixon was rather crude and unrefined, too.

I suspect that Hillary would put them all to shame in the crude department.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 07:45:28 PM »

The Democrats have become the pro illegal immigration party (and pro-drug lord party and pro human trafficking party) and are trying to block any attempt to pass funding for a wall.  And I don't think Ryan and McConnell want it bad enough. 

It's clear that Ryan doesn't want it at all. Not sure about McConnell.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 09:02:41 PM »
It is Brett Kavanaugh.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 09:52:21 PM »
kavanaugh seems okish on gun rights, we have to get national reciprocity and strict scrutiny, we must.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 09:59:19 PM »
kavanaugh seems okish on gun rights, we have to get national reciprocity and strict scrutiny, we must.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/07/05/potential-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-troubling-record-religious-liberty/

The problem isn’t Kavanaugh’s analysis on the merits, which seems fine. It’s that Kavanaugh, disagreeing with the majority, even reached the merits at all. To do so, he had to find—and did find—that the plaintiffs had standing to bring the challenge because of offended-observer status. In other words, Kavanaugh’s opinion stands for the proposition (although he doesn’t use these words) that under the Establishment and Speech Clauses, the psychological harm of being offended is a sufficient injury to trigger the jurisdiction of a federal court to hear one’s lawsuit.

Let's hope he doesn't rule that way at SCOTUS.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 11:07:53 PM »
https://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/judge-kavanaughs-record-on-second-amendment-gun-rights/

https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/06/scotus-contender-brett-kavanaugh-on-gun

Kavanaugh, who has served on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit since 2006, dissented from a 2011 decision in which a three-judge panel upheld the District of Columbia's ban on so-called assault weapons and its requirement that all guns be registered. Kavanaugh disagreed with the majority's use of "intermediate scrutiny," saying an analysis "based on text, history, and tradition" is more consistent with the Supreme Court's Second Amendment precedents.

TL;DR:  Strong on 1A and 2A, so-so on 4A.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 12:39:27 AM »
http://thefederalist.com/2018/07/05/potential-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-troubling-record-religious-liberty/

Let's hope he doesn't rule that way at SCOTUS.

Why would we expect him to rule otherwise? SCOTUS appointments are for life -- it's not like he might have to run for reelection in two/four/eight years.