Author Topic: Trump's SCOTUS pick is....  (Read 5273 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Trump's SCOTUS pick is....
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 12:53:19 AM »
Why would we expect him to rule otherwise? SCOTUS appointments are for life -- it's not like he might have to run for reelection in two/four/eight years.

He might figure out the error of his ways? He might not encounter such a case, or not be the one to write the decision on it? Other reasons may occur to you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 01:58:02 AM »
Who writes the decision is less important for the immediate case than how they vote. The language of the majority decision becomes more important down the road, when it gets cited in future cases.

As we have seen (unfortunately) with Heller.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 09:00:44 AM »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-secrets-of-leonard-leo-the-man-behind-trumps-supreme-court-pick

What a rip-off. Here I've spent decades as an evangelical, awaiting the Dominionist take-over of the United States, and it turns out the Papists are the ones holding all the cards. It's not fair, I tell you. It's just not fair.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 10:31:59 AM »
Well, I just heard on the teevee news (so just rumor) that McCain likes Kavanaugh. So it looks like the only thing that could hurt him would be the two or three female Republican senators that have been brought up in the media. It appears that a couple of dems might even vote for him, so that could be a non-issue. Though it will certainly be a razor thin vote, so thanks again Harry Reid!  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 11:01:21 AM »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-secrets-of-leonard-leo-the-man-behind-trumps-supreme-court-pick

What a rip-off. Here I've spent decades as an evangelical, awaiting the Dominionist take-over of the United States, and it turns out the Papists are the ones holding all the cards. It's not fair, I tell you. It's just not fair.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 11:21:28 AM »
Well, I just heard on the teevee news (so just rumor) that McCain likes Kavanaugh. So it looks like the only thing that could hurt him would be the two or three female Republican senators that have been brought up in the media. It appears that a couple of dems might even vote for him, so that could be a non-issue. Though it will certainly be a razor thin vote, so thanks again Harry Reid!  :laugh:
Is that supposed to make me like the pick more?   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 11:23:27 AM »
Anyone see the wonderful e-mail from Nancy Pelosi to her constituents (and donors) in which she pledges to fight Trump's SC nominee and "avenge" Barak Obama.

Who's stupider?

Her, for thinking that she, as a member of the House of Representatives, thinking that she has a dog in this fight, or

Her constituents who not only believe this but ALSO donate money to her for the fight?

I think all of them are one big collective pack of f*expletive deleted*tards, but that's just me.  
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
Is that supposed to make me like the pick more?   =)

Heh.

It at least should hopefully keep us from worrying about McCain voting "no" because "Trump". :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 11:27:33 AM »
Is it my imagination, or is the "resistance" against Trump's SC pick not nearly as loud and passionate as we were led to believe it would be?

Sure, we're seeing some demonstrations, and pronouncements from libs (like Bernie Sanders) that they're going to stop the nomination in its tracks, but overall it's been very muted.

I wonder if they have started to realize, and come to terms with, the fact that there isn't thing one that they can do to really stop it other than swinging a couple of votes while managing to keep all of their party's people in line (which doesn't look at all likely).

I'm just praying that this alleged "blue wave" falls as flat as Hillary's Coronation did. I think that would go a long way toward breaking the really liberal wing of the Democratic party.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 11:31:48 AM »
Heh.

It at least should hopefully keep us from worrying about McCain voting "no" because "Trump". :)

I think the chances of McCain actually heading back to Washington to vote are between slim and none. He's not been in attendance since last December and he's dealing with a glioblastoma, which is about as aggressive a cancer as there is. I've known two people who have died from glioblastomas, and even with aggressive treatment prognosis is NOT good.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
I think one of the key factors in picking Kavanaugh is the belief that he was the easiest candidate to get through the Senate confirmation.  I think we will find him to be a relatively centrist conservative.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 01:11:44 PM »
A surprisingly un-Trumpy pick, but not a bad one. As much as I dislike Trump, he deserves credit for sticking to the list.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 04:03:58 PM »
A surprisingly un-Trumpy pick, but not a bad one. As much as I dislike Trump, he deserves credit for sticking to the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho3r7NwtsnA
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »
Is it my imagination, or is the "resistance" against Trump's SC pick not nearly as loud and passionate as we were led to believe it would be?

Sure, we're seeing some demonstrations, and pronouncements from libs (like Bernie Sanders) that they're going to stop the nomination in its tracks, but overall it's been very muted.

I wonder if they have started to realize, and come to terms with, the fact that there isn't thing one that they can do to really stop it other than swinging a couple of votes while managing to keep all of their party's people in line (which doesn't look at all likely).

I'm just praying that this alleged "blue wave" falls as flat as Hillary's Coronation did. I think that would go a long way toward breaking the really liberal wing of the Democratic party.
I get the impression they were all set to start the protest and pulling their hair out and then when Trump made the pick, they realized they hadn't actually don't research on this pick and had no idea what to really say. 

Or maybe I have just not been watching the news so I don't know what they are saying.   =)  It is difficult to maintain controversy and hysteria over everything for very long.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 06:53:56 PM »
Next he should just run stalking horses. Give them a big check from his personal stash, let the outrage machine spend millions, nominee quits in a few weeks.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 11:34:08 PM »
Next he should just run stalking horses. Give them a big check from his personal stash, let the outrage machine spend millions, nominee quits in a few weeks.
I think W. Bush tried that sort of thing before Roberts was nominated.  A woman who worked in the executive branch if I remember. 

Pb

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 09:26:16 AM »
White House forces Press Corps to walk past dumpsters and portait of Hillary to hear Trump's SC pick:   :laugh:

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/trumps-white-house-delivers-ultimate-troll-to-hillary-before-and-after-scotus-decision/

brimic

• friends
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
White House forces Press Corps to walk past dumpsters and portait of Hillary to hear Trump's SC pick:   :laugh:

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/trumps-white-house-delivers-ultimate-troll-to-hillary-before-and-after-scotus-decision/
Best.Timeline.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »
I think W. Bush tried that sort of thing before Roberts was nominated.  A woman who worked in the executive branch if I remember. 
Harriet Myers,  IIRC.   It was a sorta  :facepalm:  choice.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2018, 11:02:25 AM »
Harriet Myers,  IIRC.   It was a sorta  :facepalm:  choice.

Yeah, I remember that one. I read her CV in the Washington Post and just shook my head.

edit in: Just googled her to read up on that whole mess and refresh my memory. I didn't remember that her name was spelled Miers. Odd spelling.

It really kicked off a crapstorm of accusations of cronyism, and I can't say that I disagree. She had never served as a judge, and she certainly didn't win any friends from either side of the aisle with her answers to questions from the Senate: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/19/AR2005101902402.html?noredirect=on

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2018, 01:38:57 PM »

edit in: Just googled her to read up on that whole mess and refresh my memory. I didn't remember that her name was spelled Miers. Odd spelling.

I don't think it's odd at all.  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »
Maybe not for the reprobates who spell it that way... :D

OK, odd to me. I grew up in a rural area where Myers was an EXTREMELY common name... as in, I think there were about 30 separate Myers clans, but all tracing back to a common ancestor (what I'd heard) in the middle 1800s (my guess).

Almost to a person they were nasty and rather stupid, and quite a few of them were involved in illegal activities at some point or another.

One of the boys who was a year or two ahead of me in high school was the major drug connection, allegedly for his Father, who was a major drug player in the county.

A few years after we graduated they went to prison together....

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2018, 03:42:52 PM »
Around here it they spell it that way we are likely related.
Family name traces back to CT in colonial times and I've followed it down the eastern seaboard, across Appalachia and into the Republic of Texas pre statehood until after the civil war then in to Indian Territory.
Some slight chance Harriet is a distant relative.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2018, 08:01:56 PM »
Trump is 6'3".  Kavanaugh looks to be an inch or two shorter.  Just enough to possibly be 5'11" Ron Paul in a full body costume.

Well, I can dream, can't I?