Author Topic: Trump's SCOTUS pick is....  (Read 5262 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Trump's SCOTUS pick is....
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2018, 01:19:52 AM »
Check out the Double Standard on this broad.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2018, 10:04:49 AM »
Harriet Myers,  IIRC.   It was a sorta  :facepalm:  choice.

I got to admit to thinking... would she have killed Obamacare, unlike Roberts?   :facepalm:

We actually might have been better off with Myers.  We will never know I guess.

I will say I do have one reservation about Kavanaugh.  He appears to believe gun owner licensing is OK (though not a ban on semi-automatic rifles or gun registration).

You should not have get a license to exercise a right, especially in your own home.  We all know how some states use high fees and paperwork to make it difficult or unpleasant to own a gun.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2018, 11:39:34 AM »
The new reason why Racisty McBigotface must be stopped AT ALL COSTS is that he had massive credit card debt for sports tickets. No, really, for serious, that's why. I mean, the guy's worse than Hitler, and a clear sign that we live in a dictatorship, but the CREDIT CARD DEBT! That's what finally got me off the Trump train.

Imagine Elena Kagan had had that problem. Why, it would have meant she understands the experience of middle-class Americans, enslaved by a debt to sick, capitalist overlords. What an example of bravery she'd have been to us all!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »

I will say I do have one reservation about Kavanaugh.  He appears to believe gun owner licensing is OK (though not a ban on semi-automatic rifles or gun registration).

You should not have get a license to exercise a right, especially in your own home.  We all know how some states use high fees and paperwork to make it difficult or unpleasant to own a gun.

Correct. Kavanaugh is NOT a good choice. Better than probably anyone Obama might have named, but not a good choice for the Constitution. I think he's also very weak on the Fourth Amendment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2018, 10:47:36 PM »
Yeah, the more I read his rulings, the more I see another Kennedy....or maybe even a Souter.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2018, 11:20:53 PM »
I read an opinion piece by Andrew Napolitano, who is super disappointed in the pick, primarily over the 4th Amendment issues.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/07/12/judge-andrew-napolitano-why-am-so-deeply-disappointed-by-trumps-supreme-court-pick.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend

grampster

• friend
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »
The first thing I noticed was CNN.  That tainted the entire article as it slowly devolved into a "diversity" screed.  I'm so tired of all of this diversity, inclusion, identifies as, male, female, race, religion, horse crap I could just scream.  We are Americans.  We have a Constitution and Bill of Rights IE rule of law.  All of that other extraneous nonsense is immaterial and designed to divide us and bring us down.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2018, 07:33:13 PM »
Obviously, then, what we need as Kennedy's replacement is a trans-gender Inuit/Polynesian/Native American who is in a committed same-sex relationship, a member of a minor religion such as Bahai (or is an atheist), who did NOT attend an Ivy League law school, for whom English is a second (or third, or fourth) language, and who self-identifies as a Martian.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
Obviously, then, what we need as Kennedy's replacement is a trans-gender Inuit/Polynesian/Native American who is in a committed same-sex relationship, a member of a minor religion such as Bahai (or is an atheist), who did NOT attend an Ivy League law school, for whom English is a second (or third, or fourth) language, and who self-identifies as a Martian.

I'm waiting for the moment in Kavanaugh's hearing when he announces that he identifies as a poly-racial, poly-gendered bisexual.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2018, 08:21:16 PM »
Maybe I should have known this, but new to me:

Senators never even met with nominees until 1925. Justice Harlan Fiske Stone was the first nominee to appear in person to field questions from the Senate Judiciary Committee ahead of his confirmation to the High Court.

Which evolved into:

“The confirmation process has turned into a political campaign for office,” said Ron Bonjean, former communications director for former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott, R-Miss. “You have judges that have brilliant legal minds. But they are literally running for office for the first time. Having a sherpa or a campaign manager help them through the process is extremely useful.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/21/republicans-democrats-look-to-use-kavanaugh-nomination-as-weapon-in-midterm-fight.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."