Author Topic: On Blood Pressure Measurements  (Read 903 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On Blood Pressure Measurements
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »
I hate to link to Vox, but the article actually made some good points.

I, and almost everyone I've ever talked to on the subject, have all agreed with the points in this article. Our blood pressure is almost always higher at the doctor's office than it is at home. In fact the only reason I bought a good monitor and started taking my blood pressure at home is because I so often got "hypertensive" readings at the doctor's office and was talked to about it.

My blood pressure for most of the years I've monitored it myself has averaged between 120-130 and 70-80. That's when I pretty much follow the procedures in the article. If I vary from it, or sometimes take it when I can about tell I'm tense, I've certainly seen it jump. I've also had readings at the doctor's office that were normal. More than 70% of the time though, I would have to say I'm higher when at the doctor. There was a time early on when I was getting higher values at home, and I think I could attribute that to a period of work stress, crappy eating not getting enough regular exercise. Nowadays though, it is always reliably in "healthy" values at home.

I think I can attribute the difference to many of the factors at the article. I may have just climbed the stairs to my doctor's office and been called in right away. The nurse may have put the cuff on over my shirt. The nurse may have me talking the whole time (almost always the case). I might be in a very uncomfortable chair in a very uncomfortable position while holding my arm up. Almost everything mentioned in the article happens to me at the doctor's office. Same with pulse. My normal resting pulse is in the low 60's, but more often than not is in the 70's or even 80's at the doctor's office. I think all because I haven't had a chance to "settle down" before the measurements are taken, or conversely, am riled up about something. :)  

I think the changes can come even just walking from the waiting room (where I might have been sitting for 20 minutes - don't know if that is calmed down or riled up) to the back. In fact when I had my colonoscopy a few months ago, I was laying on the gurney hooked up to the monitoring equipment and the doctor was delayed, so I was calmly laying there awake for a good twenty minutes before they knocked me out.  I was watching BP and pulse, and my BP was even dropping below 120 on the high and getting into the 60s on the low, and my pulse was in the 50s.

Anyway, I have to wonder how many people just take their BP value from the doctor at face value and end up on blood pressure meds? I was just thinking about this because I was talking to my cousin's wife a couple of days ago and she was on her way to her cardiologist with her home BP monitor and its history. He had been telling her that she was in denial on her BP because of the readings in his office.  :laugh:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/7/3/17510132/new-blood-pressure-guidelines-ranges-hypertension
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: On Blood Pressure Measurements
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »
I just know that in the past I tried to make sure I didn't drink any caffeine drinks before the doctor's visit.  My blood pressure also dropped down a notch after using my breathing machine.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:18:41 AM »
My BP had been showing an upward trend over about 5 years, so my doctor finally put me on BP medication 3 years ago.

Since then I've gone on the CPAP, my stress level has dropped dramatically with the sale of Mom's house, and now I'm losing weight and exercising more.

I'm hoping that with those changes that my BP will be trending downward by the time I hit the doctor again in September and I can start thinking about going off the meds. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:23:45 AM »
I will say that both my current and previous primary care physicians have been good about, when looking at a high BP reading when I'm in their office, have asked me if I've been taking my BP at home and if it's lower at home. I'm guessing at least some the medical community is pretty aware of the problem.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:32:56 AM »
I need to be more proactive about monitoring my BP at home. I have the cuff and everything, but just don't get around to doing it on a regular basis.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »
We, at my system at least, do a lot of work in training the medical assistants and nurses on how to take an accurate blood pressure of the patient in the exam room.  There is a right way to do it, and if you deviate from that way, the readings can be inaccurate.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
Interesting findings!
BP isn't the only indicator health, even if you have good BP.  My dad is super overweight, "pre"diabetic (such a bullshit label but that's another rant), and has horrible joint health.  Always has good BP and uses that as an excuse not to change his lifestyle.
I told him I bet his BP will be great when they lop off a leg due to diabetes one day...  ;/

My BP had been showing an upward trend over about 5 years, so my doctor finally put me on BP medication 3 years ago.

Since then I've gone on the CPAP, my stress level has dropped dramatically with the sale of Mom's house, and now I'm losing weight and exercising more.

I'm hoping that with those changes that my BP will be trending downward by the time I hit the doctor again in September and I can start thinking about going off the meds. 

Considering how many people we've helped literally in your situation...I already know how your visit to the DR is going to turn out  :cool:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 11:54:23 AM »
More than once I've had a nurse or office assistant take my BP with a machine and record a somewhat high number. The doctor comes in a few minutes later, doesn't like that number, checks it using a cuff and stethoscope, and gets a much lower number.

I use an electronic monitor at home, and I take my BP every morning. Occasionally, I'll get a number that seems unusually high, deflate the cuff, start over ... and get numbers 10 to 15 points lower than I just saw less than a minute before.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 12:23:27 PM »
"I already know how your visit to the DR is going to turn out"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NOT THE FINGER!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 10:00:42 PM »
With bp that runs up around 200/100 due to the cancer I always have to stop the nurse from calling the ambulance when I go in at it is /105-108.

My first doc when this started saw 188/105 and said I was having a panic attack. She got fired.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG