Author Topic: 5 Sci-Fi films begging for a sequel  (Read 1604 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
5 Sci-Fi films begging for a sequel
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:57:55 PM »
https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/top-five-sci-fi-and-fantasy-films-begging-for-a-sequel/

The article is mostly wrong, except for #1.

I have said many times that the Last Starfighter only needs it's CGI redone for a re-release. Additionally, as noted, the film leaves a lot of unresolved issues that could be explored in a sequel.

AND, since Hollywood has 0 originality, this is perfect for its current state.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

freakazoid

• friend
Re: 5 Sci-Fi films begging for a sequel
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »
This movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNbJb1NEGUk
I've never heard of it until recently and still need to watch it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:05:49 PM »
I haven't seen that in a long time.  I remember thinking I was supposed to have already known some back story which I didn't.  Made it a bit confusing.  I guess this guy sees stuff I didn't at the time.  Maybe I need to watch it again. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:23:33 PM »
The Last Starfighter is a classic.  I just watched that again just a couple weeks ago.  It is actually one movie I am surprised has not been remade.  Fairly simple story and plot that fits into an entertaining movie.  I am sure Hollywood could find some way to screw it up.  I am not sure what a sequel would cover.  It would require a much deeper story/plot than the original.  I guess it is kind of wide open depending on how a remake was done.  

The one other I sort of agree with is They Live.  The ending of the first one kind of left it wide open.  And honestly, the first one wasn't trying to win academy awards so as long as it is fun and entertaining, that is all we would want.  It might be tough to avoid it being too serious.

The other three I can't imagine wanting a sequel as they didn't leave a whole lot unfinished.  I would seriously dread any new actor trying to pull off playing Jack Burton.  The mystery of Close Encounters would be sort of ruined if the reality of a sequel was added.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 12:33:03 AM »

Buckaroo Banzai is one of the classics. It's right up there with Big Trouble in Little China.

Neither one needs a remake or sequel.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 01:46:05 AM »
The prequel and sequel to Firefly/Serenity.  Lots of unresolved/unanswered questions.

1.  Why did Mal have such a hard-on for the Alliance ?  Zoe also.  And her undying devotion/loyalty to Mal ?
2.  I know there was the comic.  But I do think there are better possible back stories for the Preacher.  Same with Inara and Mandy. (e.g. sisters?)
3.  How did Wash and Jayne avoid being in a (civil) war ?
4.  The five(ish) years after the war ended.   What did Mal and Zoe do before they bought Serenity?
5.  What did the crew do after Serenity?  Did they have a "get out of jail free card" from the Alliance ?  Mal and Inara ?  Zoe pregnant ? Kaylee and Simon ?
6.  Badger !!!!
7.  So many possible before stories.  Wash kicking around from ship to ship as Pilot for Hire.  Jayne building up his rap sheet.
8.  I'm sure there could be others (looking at you Star Trek and Star Wars).

Yes, I know that Joss Whedon has gone full Leftie 'tard.  However, give it to Tim Minear, and the group of writers that wrote the original 13 episodes and you could flesh out the 'Verse probably better then Joss Whedon could.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 06:40:14 AM »
Supposedly Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has expressed interest in filling Jack Burton's boots for a Big Trouble remake.  I like him, but the original is perfect and doesn't need remaking.  A sequel, with Kurt Russel passing the reins to Johnson, might work, if the script is clever and Johnson's character isn't simply a Burton clone.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 06:43:46 AM »
I'm really meh on sequels to any of those. I wasn't all that enamored with any of them when I saw them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »
I've always thought a prequel/sequel to Forbidden Planet could be great, but worried about the (generally) low caliber writing extant in today's movies ruining it. Maybe if J. Michael Straczynski did the writing it would be good - there were several scenes in Babylon 5 which were direct copies of scenes from Forbidden Planet's Krell machine, which JMS actually included as homage to that movie. (Serenity also referenced FP with the number of the flying saucer.) A few years back there were rumors that Ron Howard was going to direct a sequel, but it obviously went nowhere.

I'd also be interested in seeing a well done War of the Worlds remake, done as a period piece, circa 1898. (Sure, Pendragon Films did it, but the reek of that rotten direct-to-DVD turkey is still in my sinuses.)

Oh, and The Last Starfighter just wouldn't be the same without Robert Preston, just as the mercifully short-lived TV series reboot of Kolchak: The Night Stalker wasn't the same without Darren McGavin.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
I've had an idea for the sequel to Last Starfighter.

FIRST, as stated, redo the CGI from the first for a re-release before the second comes out.

Next, have someone fire up an old "retro" arcade with the original game in there and have some nobody win the game. (Since it's Hollywood, make it a minority kid. It'll make them feel all fuzzy that they are being "diverse" and matters zero to the plot. Just make sure he or she can act.)

Send current Lance Guest down to recruit the kid. Basically remake the first (since Hollywood is lazy), but with the kid joining an actual Starfighter force rather than being all alone. Of course make the battles overwhelming odds End it where the kid does amazing, but is left defenseless with his team (who am I kidding? Hollywood will make it a her) after a starburst and the team appears about to die from the remaining enemy and have Alex Rogan fly in as the cavalry. Give everyone a bit of nostalgia and tingles and make them think of Han Solo riding to the rescue in Star Wars.

Fun movie, doesn't need big names to make it fun, and gives people nostalgia. There's no "story" really to screw up like Star Wars, so give it to lensflare if you have to.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
"I've always thought a prequel/sequel to Forbidden Planet could be great..."

I'm both intrigued AND terrified at that prospect.

Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Metropolis and the trifecta of my personal top three classic sci-fi movies, and I'd HATE to see any of those messed with.

The "remake" of The Day the Earth Stood Still still enrages me every time I think about it.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 10:42:17 AM »
"I've always thought a prequel/sequel to Forbidden Planet could be great..."

I'm both intrigued AND terrified at that prospect.

Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Metropolis and the trifecta of my personal top three classic sci-fi movies, and I'd HATE to see any of those messed with.

The "remake" of The Day the Earth Stood Still still enrages me every time I think about it.

Remaking the The Day the Earth Stood Still with the Outer Limits twist would be better.  You people aren't warlike enough and don't have good enough weapons so we will destroy you and start over. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
A lot of 80s movies didn't age well.... I'll have to revisit "The Last Starfighter" and "Big Trouble in Little China" as I haven't seen either in decades.

The one movie that I saw recently, that I felt was much better now than it was when it was originally released, was "Demolition Man," I watched this one with my son on our monthly 'guys' movie night' a few weeks ago.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »
"A lot of 80s movies didn't age well.... "

I'd say that most movies from any specific decade don't age well simply because, at their very heart, they're a reflection of, and commentary on, their times.

It takes a LOT for a movie to transcend that. Obviously those that do it most easily are the ones that don't peg themselves to a specific decade. In that sense historic set piece movies (Gone with the Wind) and science fiction/fantasy (Forbidden Planet, Day the Earth Stood Still) probably have the easiest time of it.

Some really highly acclaimed movies like The Deer Hunter or Easy Rider have not aged well because the social conditions that were the foundation of the plot have changed dramatically.

Hell, could you imagine trying to explain a movie like Valley Girls to a 13 year old today? :rofl:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »
I've always thought a prequel/sequel to Forbidden Planet could be great, but worried about the (generally) low caliber writing extant in today's movies ruining it. Maybe if J. Michael Straczynski did the writing it would be good - there were several scenes in Babylon 5 which were direct copies of scenes from Forbidden Planet's Krell machine, which JMS actually included as homage to that movie. (Serenity also referenced FP with the number of the flying saucer.) .............  

A prequel to F.P.  would be great!  Exactly what Dr. Morbius went through,  the crew of that first ship.  Too bad Walter Pidgeon is not around for the role;  the actor playing Morbius would have to be chosen carefully.
FORBIDDEN PLANET was a great film.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:49:12 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 12:22:08 PM »
He's probably too old now, but you know who I could see playing Morbius?

John Goodman.

He's got the resonant voice that Pidgeon had.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 07:50:48 PM »
How did John Carter not make the list?  The sequels are already written.  There are what, 11 books? 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 08:00:38 PM »
What, no love for Battle Beyond the Stars?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 08:06:19 PM »
I'd like to see a sequel to Starman with the child of Starman and the earth woman as the lead in some sort of adventure, perhaps  from the enemies of his alien father's people who need him to save their civilization and the Erf as well
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 09:00:45 PM »
How did John Carter not make the list?  The sequels are already written.  There are what, 11 books? 
Maybe they're thinking about doing Carson of Venus?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 09:07:28 PM »
How did John Carter not make the list?  The sequels are already written.  There are what, 11 books

11 books, pulp adventure of varying quality.   Perfect for movie sequels, direct to DVD, direct to the $4 bin at Walmart.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 09:57:19 PM »
A lot of 80s movies didn't age well.... I'll have to revisit "The Last Starfighter" and "Big Trouble in Little China" as I haven't seen either in decades.

The one movie that I saw recently, that I felt was much better now than it was when it was originally released, was "Demolition Man," I watched this one with my son on our monthly 'guys' movie night' a few weeks ago.

Not sure how well they could do a sequel/remake of Big Trouble in Little China. They would have to replicate the type of camp it had on it's own simply for being a product of it's time without being hamfisted and turning it into a parody.

Remaking the The Day the Earth Stood Still with the Outer Limits twist would be better.  You people aren't warlike enough and don't have good enough weapons so we will destroy you and start over. 

Man that would be awesome. :rofl: Kind of turn on it's head how a lot of these types are anti-war. The SJW freakout that would certainly result would be the icing on the cake.

Some really highly acclaimed movies like The Deer Hunter or Easy Rider have not aged well because the social conditions that were the foundation of the plot have changed dramatically.

I wasn't a fan of The Deer Hunter. Really liked East Rider, until it turned into that weird psychedelic ending all of a sudden that some movies of that time did.

Really liked John Carter. Was hoping there would of been a sequel after watching it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 07:12:07 AM »

Because the first John Carter movie was so freaking horrible that no one wants to take a risk in making a second turd.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 08:55:17 AM »
My desire to see a John Carter movie had been a desire since I first read the ERB series as a kid.  So, nearly 60 years of desire.   My dad had the original hard copies.  The publish date on The Princess of Mars  by Grosset and Dunlap, New York, is October 1917.  I still have them all, but they are battered from me re-reading them many times over the last 65 years.  It just dawned on me the book I'm holding in my hand is 101 years old. 

The movie was not as good as I'd hoped.  But I've watched it twice or thrice and was somewhat satisfied that at least they made a movie, even though it could have been much better, especially with the effects that they have nowadays.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 09:57:04 AM »
"It just dawned on me the book I'm holding in my hand is 101 years old."

I've got one in my personal collection that was printed in 1572...