Author Topic: Thai soccer team  (Read 1759 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Thai soccer team
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:39:39 PM »
Haven't seen another thread on this.

Now they've been rescued, my big question is, how did authorities know they were trapped?  Also, is the coach likely to be charged with any crimes?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Thai soccer team
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:44:30 PM »
People knew they had gone in. As to the coach, who knows?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:53:27 PM »
From what I read just now, the coach went in after them because they wanted to explore.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
A Hawaiian judge is expected to order the soccer team back in to the cave later today, claims Trump has once again overstepped his authority.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »
Haven't seen another thread on this.

Now they've been rescued, my big question is, how did authorities know they were trapped?  Also, is the coach likely to be charged with any crimes?

From reporting (and we all know how accurate reporters are), Thai authorities are leaning towards mercy on the coach given all he did to keep the kids alive in the cave. So, if the reporting is accurate, he is not likely to be charged.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 09:39:08 PM »
A Hawaiian judge is expected to order the soccer team back in to the cave later today, claims Trump has once again overstepped his authority.

Snorted gin. 

:lol:
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 09:47:43 PM »
I haven't figured out how this happened; they went in, and then the monsoons came and flooded the low spots in the caverns?  And they went in deeper and deeper to try to find another exit?
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »
Think they went in deeper to not drown cave drops from entry and then gains elevation.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 07:45:12 PM »
I haven't figured out how this happened; they went in, and then the monsoons came and flooded the low spots in the caverns?  And they went in deeper and deeper to try to find another exit?

From something I read that was supposedly posted by someone from Thailand vs. other Media going off of whatever translations they were getting info from. This is a cave people regularly enter not just randomly found. The rainy season ended up starting earlier than expected, this cave was normally considered safe during the dates they entered. The post didn't really address anything about the coach. The post did say that the reporting about how many or most of them couldn't swim was wrong. It was either misinterpreting statistics that might have mixed that most girls in Thailand don't or can't swim and most boys can or do swim vs. general population or was mixing up that most or all of the specific boys hadn't been diving(scuba) vs. ability to swim.

I personally always though the whole having them scuba out was stupidly panned as to the danger. I'm a diver and a caver. While I have not done any real underwater caving that required scuba diving, both things are not really that difficult when you have a guide that tells you what to do when and where and have support and equipment. I never saw a real issue with getting them all out with scuba gear. It wasn't like they were diving on their own and needed to do decompression calculations and what not and didn't have any guides as to where to go and help with tank changes if needed. It was simply breathe from this regulator and follow/be pulled along...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 08:05:28 PM »

I personally always though the whole having them scuba out was stupidly panned as to the danger. I'm a diver and a caver. While I have not done any real underwater caving that required scuba diving, both things are not really that difficult when you have a guide that tells you what to do when and where and have support and equipment. I never saw a real issue with getting them all out with scuba gear. It wasn't like they were diving on their own and needed to do decompression calculations and what not and didn't have any guides as to where to go and help with tank changes if needed. It was simply breathe from this regulator and follow/be pulled along...

I would have to disagree some. While the danger was somewhat over-hyped, a brand new diver exposed to enclosed, zero viz conditions is someone who is going to be prone to panic. I was a professional diver for fed.gov and did many a cavern and drunk/high/stupid commercial fisherman sunk his boat dives in enclosed and zero viz conditions. Even I got a little freaked sometimes, especially in zero viz when I got hung up on something.

The good thing was that they had them in full coverage face gear, which pretty much eliminated the spitting out and/or losing the regulator scenario. Also, AFAIK, everything was very shallow and mostly short distances for the submerged portions. I didn't fully read up on it, but I'm not sure how one of the rescue divers died. I read that he ran out of air, which seems a bit far-fetched.

Anyway, respect to each and every one of those kids.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 09:12:10 PM »
Did anything ever come of Musk's stupid tiny submarine?

Without going back and hunting down a quote,  wasn't part of the issue the cave was so narrow that a diver had to take his tanks off and push them through the cave at certain points?  Kinda makes a body sized sub less than ideal.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 12:16:29 PM »
Did anything ever come of Musk's stupid tiny submarine?

Without going back and hunting down a quote,  wasn't part of the issue the cave was so narrow that a diver had to take his tanks off and push them through the cave at certain points?  Kinda makes a body sized sub less than ideal.

Nope, I read it didn't get there in time.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 12:23:21 PM »
Nope, I read it didn't get there in time.

The Brit that saved the kids turned it down as it wouldn't have worked.  Musk apparently was ... unhappy with that characterization.  Apparently he's claimed he'll personally pilot it through the caves later this summer to prove his point.  For good measure he called the expert caver a pedo, twice.  Said caver is now considering legal action against Musk.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 01:06:27 PM »
Elon Musk is such a piece of excrement. He's a multi-billionaire, built on using money provided by us taxpayers, and he works the people in the Tesla factory like slaves. If he takes his submarine into the cave and drowns, I'll laugh.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 05:27:49 PM »
Elon Musk is such a piece of excrement. He's a multi-billionaire, built on using money provided by us taxpayers, and he works the people in the Tesla factory like slaves. If he takes his submarine into the cave and drowns, I'll laugh.

Yeah, fatal attention whoring would be kind of appropriate.