Author Topic: Officials still fighting to keep the Parkland shooting footage a secret.  (Read 1099 times)

freakazoid

• friend
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article214631575.html

Winner of a quote,
Eugene Pettis, an attorney for the school board, said a future attacker could watch the exterior footage and figure out where its blind spots were.

"It could put the school's safety in jeopardy," Pettis said.
:facepalm:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Um  .... couldn't anyone who knew the school's layout figure out blind spots?  Does it take a Von Clausewitz to figure this out?

Does it make any difference if the po-po hunker down outside? >:D :facepalm:

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
If there are blind spots -- unblind them.

The engineering firm I work for just managed construction of a maintenance facility for a railroad. There were a bunch of security cameras in the original contract. Once the building had been completed, the railroad's security people had a meltdown over gaps in coverage, and something like two dozen more cameras were added by change order. They basically have cameras watching the cameras.

The people in charge at Parklands shouldn't be fired, they should be tarred, feathered, and run out of town. Did everyone pick up on the fact that the security guard/assistant football coach who first saw the shooter enter the campus (but didn't confront him) has since been suspended because it came out that he was sexually harassing two or three of the female students?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Do you think they are fighting to keep the video out of the public to avoid lawsuits?  Or might there be additional stuff on the video that is not public knowledge?  

I am thinking lawsuits myself.  Lawyers for the dead kids would just need to show side by side video of the shooter killing people while police waited outside.  Then show the kids bleeding to death after the shooter was gone while police kept paramedics from going inside.  How many of the dead were still alive at that point and might have been saved?  The horror of that entire event is incredible when you consider the multiple failures and bad decisions before, during, and after from the Sheriff and School board down to the deputies on site.  

If there is additional stuff on the video that is not generally known, I would hate to imagine what it could be.  Seeing kids bleeding to death while paramedics were kept out of the building would be bad enough.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
As much as it's fun to bash lawyers, the guy in this case is just doing the best he can by his client.

A few years ago my wife temped for a guy who represented multiple school districts as outside counsel.  The number of bad spots school employees would get themselves into was enough for the guy to generate many, many billable hours which led to having a nice office, car, home, and multiple well-paid staffers.

But to get the hours he had to put himself in the position of making some absolutely ridiculous arguments. My wife could not give me a lot of details but of what she did tell me if I were to face-palm myself each time I would have totally rearranged my facial bones.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I am confident that the video will be subpoenaed in all the myriad personal injury civil lawsuits that are being filed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

freakazoid

• friend
Do you think they are fighting to keep the video out of the public to avoid lawsuits?  Or might there be additional stuff on the video that is not public knowledge?  

I am thinking lawsuits myself.  Lawyers for the dead kids would just need to show side by side video of the shooter killing people while police waited outside.  Then show the kids bleeding to death after the shooter was gone while police kept paramedics from going inside.  How many of the dead were still alive at that point and might have been saved?  The horror of that entire event is incredible when you consider the multiple failures and bad decisions before, during, and after from the Sheriff and School board down to the deputies on site.  

If there is additional stuff on the video that is not generally known, I would hate to imagine what it could be.  Seeing kids bleeding to death while paramedics were kept out of the building would be bad enough.

That's what I'm thinking, that it shows more inaction.
Probably not a bad idea about the side by side. The article mentions not seeking the footage from inside the school, but it would be useful to highlight how severe their inaction was by showing it side by side.

Not like blind spots even matter if they aren't going to do anything about it to begin with. Not knowing where they are didn't seem to stop the shooter.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I can't believe the NRA is doing this.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife