Author Topic: Rib Fingers  (Read 4342 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Rib Fingers
« on: July 11, 2018, 01:46:06 PM »
The local commissary had some things called rib fingers (beef) in cryovac a few weeks ago and not knowing what they were I asked. It is the meat cut out from between the rib bones and sold as "rib fingers".

First off, they a small strips of meat with the fat and membrane still attached so that has to be removed. Not a big deal but it is a little tedious on each piece of meat.

I have tried smoking them twice now, once at 4.5 hours and very low, tough is a good word to use here, almost jerky on a couple of the thinner ones. Second time I did them for 2 hours and they came out fairly tough. We won't be doing that again.

I will probably get another pack and try something else. possibly stew or another place where braising can take place.

Any ideas on how to use these small pieces of meat, because smoking them is off the table. If I want smoked ribs then I will get ribs.

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Rib Fingers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 02:38:16 PM »
Obviously, they are meant to be surgically re-attached to rib bones and then smoked appropriately.
Do they charge extra for ruining good rib meat?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »
Obviously, they are meant to be surgically re-attached to rib bones and then smoked appropriately.
Do they charge extra for ruining good rib meat?

I don't know what is going on in America, you can buy rib meat without the bones and it is nearly worthless or you can buy ribs where the meat has been trimmed away from bone and you are getting essentially bones, also worthless. Just leave them together and let me smoke them as Lord Krishna intended!!

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 04:08:22 PM »
Here in rural Midwest pork country, I can still buy good pork ribs. St. Louis, loin back or full spare ribs. I can usually get St. Louis or loin back ribs 1-2x per month on sale for around $1.89 per pound fresh never frozen. We have our beef butchered and cut to order but the only beef ribs we get are short rib.
Rib fingers? That doesn't even make sense.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 04:32:19 PM »
Sounds like some hipster *expletive deleted*che knot foodie bullshit

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 05:23:19 PM »
Are rib fingers better than hot dog fingers?

https://youtu.be/ifFzxiSQsCE?t=43s
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 05:43:49 PM »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 03:46:14 PM »
I believe this recipe might work for Rib Fingers...

https://smile.amazon.com/Braiser-Cookbook-irresistible-braiser-great-Tromantina-ebook/dp/B00AQZ41I6/

We've only made two of the recipes so far, but I have a new favorite meal:

Braised County-style Pork Ribs Agrodolce

3 lbs pork ribs
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
Large onion (Chopped)
Medium Carrot (chopped)
6 garlic cloves (slivered)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup beef broth

Salt and pepper the ribs and brown them in the braiser with the olive oil.
Remove browned ribs. Drain off all but 1 tbsp of fat. Add carrots and onions to the pan and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add the vinegar, wine and beef broth and bring it all to a boil.
Put the ribs back in the pan and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Turn the meat and recover, cooking for 30 minute smore.
Check to see if the ribs are done and remove to a warming plate, if so.
Strain the remaining solids from the liquid and pour into a saucepan. (Discard the solids if desired, but I liked the tangy taste the carrots now had)
Whisk until smooth and simmer until thickened.

Serve ribs with the sauce.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 08:22:34 PM »
As for smoking them, you have to shave them down into really thin strips and then pack them in a corn cob.  Even then, it is hard to get them to give a satisfying smoke.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:28 AM »
If they are tough, they either weren't smoked long enough, or they dried out. I usually smoke pork ribs for about 6 hours, and keep a pan of water under them.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »

The most vomit inducing sandwich ever invented.

Those things are absolutely horrific.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
If they are tough, they either weren't smoked long enough, or they dried out. I usually smoke pork ribs for about 6 hours, and keep a pan of water under them.

I always have a pan of water when smoking food. I just think these things are too fragile to smoke properly which leads to the question of why do ribs (beef) smoke just fine but these boneless things don't. Does the bone act as a heat sink that keeps the meat from overcooking? Maybe a question for Alton Brown. ;)

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 10:04:14 PM »
I find beef ribs harder to do than pork ribs.
I did beef short ribs tonight. Had to trim copious amounts of fat off, seasoned and placed in the pit barrel for 3.5 hours then double toil wrapped and back in for 2 hours more. All that and they were still a little tough.
Pork ribs are just easier. Smoke until the meat pulls about 1/2" back from the bone tips, remove just to paint with BBQ sauce and put back on for about 30 minutes or so to "candy" the sauce then remove and let rest.