Author Topic: Academy Sports steps on their own crank  (Read 3616 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Academy Sports steps on their own crank
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:40:29 PM »
Assistant manager stops a man trying to steal a gun and ammunition from Academy Sports.
Academy Sports fires the Assistant manager for violating company policy.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/11/academy-sports-manager-fired-weeks-after-intercepting-gun-thief-suspect-in-florida-store-lawyer-says.html

Never another *expletive deleted*ing dime Academy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Academy Sports steps on their own crank
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 11:11:33 PM »
Yeah. Their faceplace page is starting to smoke.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 11:15:45 PM »
Makes me wonder how it is that some people get to be upper management level.

Anyhow, I hope nobody posts "the customer is always right."

What are the usual retail rules about a firearm and its ammunition being on the counter at the same time?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:31:13 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 11:38:42 PM »
Well, now we know that if we want to steal anything (including guns) from Academy Sports we can take our time and just stroll out the door, because the employees aren't allowed to touch us.

Good to know.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 12:14:24 AM »
What's this place called? Starbucks Sports?

I hope all these retail managers across the country are getting the message: brown people don't have to follow the rules.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 01:06:05 AM »
Makes me wonder how it is that some people get to be management level.

Anyhow, I hope nobody posts "the customer is always right."

What are the usual retail rules about a firearm and its ammunition being on the counter at the same time?

In most stores the ammo is out on the shelves, not behind the counter.  So if Ditntdue Nuffin boosted the ammo (perhaps into the stolen backpack) before asking to see the gun, then that may be how he got both.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:20:37 AM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 01:38:23 AM »
Maybe they ought to institute calf-roping training for store personnel.  Yee.  Haw.

Larnin' how:

https://youtu.be/P12CJ4Zu7LM (0:28)

Trouble is, it's hard to conceal-carry a lariat.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:26:52 AM by 230RN »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 04:58:16 AM »
That’s standard retail practice. Anybody who has dealt with regional and corporate level management will tell you of the insanity and lack of common sense.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 06:36:02 AM »
I can almost understand the "let them go" policy if you're talking about a basketball or an item of clothing.
But in a case like this where the item(s) being stolen can be used in dangerous manner then stopping them from leaving should be the way to go.
How would their management feel if the perp had gone out to the parking lot, loaded up then came back and shot a few customers and employees?
Sure, we've e,experienced a mass murder but damn it, we followed company policy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »
Their CEO, Ken Hicks, just came on board in May. He's a West Point grad and native Texan. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts since he probably wasn't aware of any of this until it hit Fox News.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 08:41:20 AM »
When you are around 10 years old and see an outdoor display of water melons on a slanted display case at the local grocery.  You are poor, but you are drooling for a water melon.  Advice:  1.  Do not swipe the melon from the bottom of the display case.  2.  When running from the store owner, stop and lay the melon down, then resume running.  3.  Do not keep it in your arms, it will slow you waaayyy down.  4.  Do not ask me how I know this.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »
I think that sort of legal risk aversion is common.  I assume they are worried about being stuck with the cost of employee injury or liability for a customer injury (not the criminal).  If they wanted to do this without being stupid, they should have congratulated the employee, maybe given them a small raise, then retrain everyone on the policies while quietly telling the guy they think he screwed up.  Not the right thing to do, but better for public relations.

Given other things Academy has done in recent years, I get the impression they are a bunch of liberals who realize most of their stores are in the Southeastern US.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 09:12:42 AM »
I can almost understand the "let them go" policy if you're talking about a basketball or an item of clothing.
But in a case like this where the item(s) being stolen can be used in dangerous manner then stopping them from leaving should be the way to go.
How would their management feel if the perp had gone out to the parking lot, loaded up then came back and shot a few customers and employees?
Sure, we've e,experienced a mass murder but damn it, we followed company policy.
I agree with you on this part.  For most things (even ammo), the merchandise is just stuff and can be replaced.  For firearms, there is a little more to it.  You can't predict if the criminal wants to just sell it or if they will want to use it.  Management probably thinks the legal liability for the criminal use of the gun is less than the liability for an injured employee or customer.  They are likely right about that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 11:53:02 AM »
Wow... I though the vitriol after some of the other recent corporate bonehead moves was serious. This is orders of magnitude more intense. Even the screaming hippy-libs here are pissed at what happened. Looks like Academy is getting universally rectal-sexed in pretty much every social media and news feed extant, even those traditionally not associated with firearms or conservative issues.

Good.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:06:47 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 02:15:08 PM »
I think even the libbies  would like to see a gun being prevented from being stolen,  that's why they're against Academy's policy.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 02:24:54 PM »

^^^ This. In this case, the guy wasn't stealing a Twinkie or a wristwatch.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 02:41:01 PM »
Maybe they ought to institute calf-roping training for store personnel.  Yee.  Haw.

You mean like this?

https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/10/us/suspect-lassoed-in-parking-lot-irpt/index.html

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 03:12:54 PM »
Oh.  I hadn't realize 230RN actually had writing in that post.  I guess I was distracted.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 04:18:52 PM »
I'm so ashamed that Texas has yet to top this anytime recently.

FTFY

I'm fairly certain Texas (and most of the West) has topped this, just not in the modern era.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »
Yeah, and with vertical lassos, too.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 04:42:07 PM »
Well, well, well... it seems the roar was heard loud and clear.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/783864002

Short version, he's been rehired.

Makes you wonder what other calls were made that day, possibly to a certain HR person, and possibly about considering the potential PR effects of blind adherence to policy in the face of certain disaster.

Corporate HR policy types don't seem to understand that Operating Policy & Procedure is for everyday operational issues. They somehow can't comprehend that atypical issues often require atypical responses, some of which will run counter to stated procedure. That's why every single policy manual I've ever seen contains a phrase something along the lines of "<Org Name> reserves the right to revise, restate, or apply this operating policy as needed for situations, conditions, or other occurrances outside normal operational parameters."

Brad
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:12:01 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 10:57:51 PM »
Well, well, well... it seems the roar was heard loud and clear.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/783864002

Short version, he's been rehired.

Howard Schultz sheds a single tear.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 11:39:41 PM »

Corporate HR policy types don't seem to understand that Operating Policy & Procedure is for everyday operational issues. They somehow can't comprehend that atypical issues often require atypical responses, some of which will run counter to stated procedure. That's why every single policy manual I've ever seen contains a phrase something along the lines of "<Org Name> reserves the right to revise, restate, or apply this operating policy as needed for situations, conditions, or other occurrances outside normal operational parameters."

Brad

Having been through a certain amount of HR training and reading examples of things done right and wrong by HR depts. I came to realize, that HR depts. are going to operate inexorably towards the goal of defending the entity they work for by enforcing as strictly as possible company policy regardless of other consequences. 

It wasn't until recently that the phrase "stay in your lane" became current and that, it dawned on me, is a perfect way to say what and how HR enforces policy. This manager, while brave and committed, did not stay in his lane and thus had to go. There are plenty of ways to leave your lane and HR will sanction you for any one of them. And shouldn't this be the default position for HR?

For the HR types there was nothing to think about. Policy comes before PR considerations, and that's even if they considered the PR implications which they probably didn't. And really, do they need to consider PR issues?

I don't blame the HR folks for this, in their view they were protecting the entity, which is their first duty. They are not the PR people, they are not in the C-suite, they're not the legal team, they're worker bees that do not have a lot of discretion in how they operate.

Imagine what could have happened if the manager hadn't been fired and the company lawyers demanded to know why this insurance liability was still working for the company and exposing them to potential legal problems.

Some HR person(s) might have lost their job(s). For failing to do their job. It would have been a totally justified termination. And this would have happened totally out of the public eye and there would have been no outrage to get them rehired.

It's not fair to the HR folks to expect them to consider every potential issue that might come up in making personnel decisions. There are way too many variables. As long as the process conformed to both employment law and company policy, the HR people are blameless.

I say that this turned out right. The manager did what he thought was right, HR did their job, and the C-suite folks did theirs by overruling HR.

The process could have been faster and thus less damaging to company PR, but live and learn.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 12:14:12 AM »
I think the manager was going to be fired no matter what.  Either for allowing the gun to be stolen, or for intervening.
"It's good, though..."