Author Topic: Starbucks goes green  (Read 1657 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Starbucks goes green
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:04:50 PM »
Or not.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/12/starbucks-straw-ban-will-see-the-company

Starbucks is phasing out the use of plastic straws. The problem is that their solution -- a plastic, sippable lid that doesn't need a straw -- actually uses more plastic than the former lid+straw combination.

The environmental wacko mafia are going to kill us yet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Starbucks goes green
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 03:17:55 PM »
Like I say, most of this environmental BS is like a kid's party balloon.  You push it in here, and it comes out there.

Terry, 230RN

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 03:29:48 PM »
Sounds like the recycling nazis here on campus. They foam at the mouth if you don't recycle but insist on rinsing all the containers they receive. Do they use grey water from the dishwashers to do it? Nope. Blowdown waste water from the Physical Plant cooling towers? Nu uh. Fresh water, right from the tap and gone after a single use. They don't even divert it for use by the Grounds guys to water the grass. Right down the drain.

They're saving a small amount of one resource (metals) but in the process using a large amount of another resource much more precious to us here in the rain-strapped southwest... water. When I was the campus Sustainability Officer I happened to mention this once at a reasonably high-level meeting. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I should keep my mouth shut and let them do the thinking.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 03:47:18 PM »
"This is a modern, progressive university. We no longer teach you how to think, we teach you what to think. It is more efficient. Don't you agree, Komrad?" [cocks pistol, aims at head]

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:18:05 PM »
On a tangent, I just read today in some greenie news source that pops up on my feed, that a large portion of recyclables are now going straight to the dump.

Enviros have been mixing too many non-recyclables into recyclable containers because they think, "these should be recycled" and it ends up being too great of a cost and time burden to separate that stuff out, so to the trash it goes.

Apparently much of that "wishful recycling" stuff has been shipped to China for little kids there to separate, but China has now stopped taking it. Some of it still goes to India, but they are apparently getting sick of us too.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 06:24:35 PM »
Aluminum pays to recycle. Glass you end up using more energy than melting new sand. Could we go back to reusable bottles? Of course, but the government fixed that with sanitation standards that washed away the sanity. Industrial paper is probably a win, but post consumer paper is a waste of time.

If only we could remember the other two R's. But that takes actual change, not throw something in a bin and declare you're helping. I try, nalgene water bottle probably saves a lot of plastic. I reuse disposable silverware I get at work or when out. But mostly, I try not to buy crap I don't need.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »
Aluminum pays to recycle. Glass you end up using more energy than melting new sand. Could we go back to reusable bottles? Of course, but the government fixed that with sanitation standards that washed away the sanity. Industrial paper is probably a win, but post consumer paper is a waste of time.

When my wife and I spent two months in her native country (South America, I don't care to be more specific than that) while finalizing our adoption of her granddaughter, I was surprised to see that they had two classes of plastic bottles for soda. One type is recyclable/disposable, the other type is returnable/reusable.

Nobody could explain to me why they had both systems running side-by-side.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 01:09:13 AM »
On a tangent, I just read today in some greenie news source that pops up on my feed, that a large portion of recyclables are now going straight to the dump.

Enviros have been mixing too many non-recyclables into recyclable containers because they think, "these should be recycled" and it ends up being too great of a cost and time burden to separate that stuff out, so to the trash it goes.

Apparently much of that "wishful recycling" stuff has been shipped to China for little kids there to separate, but China has now stopped taking it. Some of it still goes to India, but they are apparently getting sick of us too.

Saw that also, I think LA Times (Came up when I opened a new tab in Firefox, where it gives you "Three Stories you might be interested in").  Yet for the past two+ weeks two of the three stories that come up have been about the NBA and NBA teams.  What on Earth ever gave you the idea that I would have the fainest interest in the NBA or any of it's players ??

Price of recycled paper and cardboard is down to under $5 per ton.  Back when I worked in warehouses, we used to get $300-$400 ton for scrap cardboard, we used to have baler that paid for itself, garbage service, and the office cleaning service.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 01:34:07 AM »
When Starbucks goes truly green, they'll have a guy there to just take a mouthful of non-fat, fair-trade blonde latte, with cardamom, and just spit it directly into your mouth.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 09:06:14 AM »
Saw that also, I think LA Times (Came up when I opened a new tab in Firefox, where it gives you "Three Stories you might be interested in").  Yet for the past two+ weeks two of the three stories that come up have been about the NBA and NBA teams.  What on Earth ever gave you the idea that I would have the fainest interest in the NBA or any of it's players ??

Price of recycled paper and cardboard is down to under $5 per ton.  Back when I worked in warehouses, we used to get $300-$400 ton for scrap cardboard, we used to have baler that paid for itself, garbage service, and the office cleaning service.

We tried to sell our cardboard, then went to letting them take it for free, now it goes in the regular dumpster. I figure if someone won't buy it then it is not a real commodity but one created by guilt or government.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 11:19:49 AM »
Saw that also, I think LA Times (Came up when I opened a new tab in Firefox, where it gives you "Three Stories you might be interested in").  Yet for the past two+ weeks two of the three stories that come up have been about the NBA and NBA teams.  What on Earth ever gave you the idea that I would have the fainest interest in the NBA or any of it's players ??

Further thread drift, I was complaining about that here not long ago. Chrome has been much better about finding at least some mix of stuff for me, even NRA links (maybe not a good thing because they know too much bout me). With Firefox, it's all sports and commie sites, even when I keep dismissing recommendations to train the search engine. It probably doesn't help that I click on the commie stories occasionally to read them and get my blood boiling.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 10:17:23 AM »
We have a lot of bins for recyclable plastic on campus here.  I used to use them until I learned they were just dumping them out in the regular trash.

Oh well, I guess it makes people feel good about themselves.   ;/

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 10:33:21 AM »
My town doesn't have municipal trash collection, so those of us who don't choose to hire a private refuse collection company take our own trash to the transfer station -- usually on Saturday. Aside from getting rid of the trash, it's an opportunity to hear what's been happening around town during the week.

Until recently, recycling had to be strictly segregated. Metal cans went into one dumpster, glass into another (except, for some reson, green glass, which had to be culled out), plastics into another (but only two types, not all types), paper in yet another, and corrugated cardboard went into a conex box.

About two years ago, it was all revamped. Now glass, plastic (all types), paper, and cardboard (all types) go into the same dumpster. It's still separate from the two compactors used for "trash," but who knows what happens to the mixed "recyclables" after the dumpster leaves the transfer station.

bscl

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 01:31:32 PM »
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/36704582/audit-recycling-is-costing-the-city-a-lot

"The city's recycling program is wasting millions of dollars annually."

We have municipal trash collection that also collects recyclables and yard waste.  Unfortunately, most of the population doesn't bother thinking the recycling problem all the way through.  We don't recycle (i.e., actually process/melt/manufacture) anything here because we have no facilities/factories.  That means all those bottles and cans have to be packaged and shipped out at a cost to some place that does. 

Life Member NRA, SAF

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 02:27:52 PM »

We have municipal trash collection that also collects recyclables and yard waste.  Unfortunately, most of the population doesn't bother thinking the recycling problem all the way through.  We don't recycle (i.e., actually process/melt/manufacture) anything here because we have no facilities/factories.  That means all those bottles and cans have to be packaged and shipped out at a cost to some place that does. 

But ... but ... but ... It's saving the PLAAAAAAANNNETTTTT!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 06:11:41 AM »
Further thread drift, I was complaining about that here not long ago. Chrome has been much better about finding at least some mix of stuff for me, even NRA links (maybe not a good thing because they know too much bout me). With Firefox, it's all sports and commie sites, even when I keep dismissing recommendations to train the search engine. It probably doesn't help that I click on the commie stories occasionally to read them and get my blood boiling.  :laugh:

I get the same crap.  1 or 2 links to something about the NBA, and then the other link(s) is/are to a The Guardian, The Atlantic, WAPO or NYT story.   I know I do some reading as to what they other side is up to.  But I do click far more Daily Wire, Daily Caller, National Review, etc. websites then leftie one, yet I am never give anything that would be considered remotely rightwing as a "suggestion".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 04:47:09 AM »

http://thefederalist.com/2018/07/18/not-banning-straws-not-help-environment-much-hurts-disabled-people/

I thought recycling was a pretty neat idea, when I was a young (grade-school) skull full of mush. After a few decades of The Green Scare, and fire-and-brimstone environmentalism, I always choose the trash bin over the recycle bin. Recycling is a sacrament of the Lefty religion, or perhaps the pinch of incense offered to Caesar Algorus. I decline to participate.

The city gave me a recycle bin. It's handy, when I need overflow trash storage.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife