Author Topic: Things you don’t realize about Italy until you’ve been there....  (Read 1112 times)

Hutch

• friend
1) Almost all the autos there are tiny hatchbacks.  Most of the rest are small hatchbacks.
2) The cities, towns, and villages are old, and have narrow streets, with few traffic lights.
3) If you want to drink anything with a meal, including water, you will pay for it.
4) Water comes to the table in a cool, but not cold, liter bottle.  The glasses are cocktail sized, not tumblers.
5) Even the cheap wine is good.
6) Tipping the waiter is not common practice.
7) The average driver there is more alert, observant, and adroit than the average driver in the US.
8 )Because of 7), they can push more traffic thru their highway system than you can imagine.
9) Pizza actually IS very popular with the locals.  It is not sold in variety of sizes.  One size, to feed a moderately hungry adult.  The varieties  are named, and these names seem to be common across several disparate ristorantes.  There is no concept of “choose 3 toppings from the list”.  Btw, the “Americano” is offered with French Fries as a topping.  I defecate thee not.
10) about ALL property is “developed”.  Lots of farms are cultivated right up to the front door.  There are pastures, vineyards, and row crops on mountainsides that defy belief.
11) All the foregoing gives the impression that the people are not impoverished, but highly resource constrained.
12) Breakfast there is very scanty.  Coffee is served very, VERY strong, in very VERY small cups.

Helluva trip.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
When I visited Venice in 1993 I discovered that when it rains,  the rain is gathered in the .... er, "sidewalks"  and enters the hotel lobby,  and they set up walkways of boards supported by cinder blocks as bridges.
Carrying suitcases across these gets pretty .... bouncy!   Ha ha ha. [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
They gave me a pretty sporty manual shift van, a stack of gas vouchers and a few hundred drunken sailors to move across town. Drive like the locals they said. Challenge accepted. I had drinks ask to ride again, like it was the amusement park.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Which part(s) of Italy?

Are there attempts at pizza any good?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Which part(s) of Italy?

I was in Italy on a tour when I was in high school. The second worst pizza I've ever had was in Rome. (The worst was in a small town on the California coast, the name of which escapes me. Midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
My only experience with Italy was La Maddalena and Palau, Sardegna. Similar experience but '89-90 the most common vehicle on the island was scooters/mopeds and small motor bikes.
Pizza was a very different animal than what we see here in the good ole USA. What I found was good but a very different experience.
The most striking memory was that the city still dumped their raw sewage straight into the ocean, right there on the edge of the town.
Of course the joke was; If they ever give the Mediterranean an enema La Mad was were it would be done.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Never been to Italy. Would love to go for the museums in Rome and Florence.

Worst pizza I've ever had was in Toronto. Absolutely inedible.

Second worst was in Brussels.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I remember in the 80's driving from Germany to Lago Garda with some cousins and friends to go windsurfing. I got stuck with my turn to drive after we crossed the border. It was mostly a mountain road, and I actually found the experience a bit harrowing. More than once I was almost run off the side of the road because some eyetalian was taking a hairpin curve at 100kph mostly in my lane. I was told that was normal.

Pizza is definitely different. I thought it was good, but remember it being very thin and almost soggy. I recall having a terrible, terrible fish dinner of what they said was the local lake trout.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

De Selby

• friend
I remember in the 80's driving from Germany to Lago Garda with some cousins and friends to go windsurfing. I got stuck with my turn to drive after we crossed the border. It was mostly a mountain road, and I actually found the experience a bit harrowing. More than once I was almost run off the side of the road because some eyetalian was taking a hairpin curve at 100kph mostly in my lane. I was told that was normal.

Pizza is definitely different. I thought it was good, but remember it being very thin and almost soggy. I recall having a terrible, terrible fish dinner of what they said was the local lake trout.

Sirmione is a great little town
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Hutch

• friend
Quote from: fistful link=topic=57825.msg1168668#mysg1168668 date=1531543133
Which part(s) of Italy?

Mostly near a small town in Lombardy called Sovere.  It’s near beautiful lake Iseo.  This is the north, in the first hills of the Alps. 

Pizza is always a thin crust, which is light and crispy except in the center, where it gets a bit soggy, as others have mentioned. The toppings are not piled as high, and the seasoning is more subtle.  I enjoyed it.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
There's a YoobToob channel called Wolters World where he does a lot of "Things you don't expect in..." and "Things You Should/Shouldn't Do When Traveling To..." segments. Informative and interesting.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
There's a YouTube channel called, iirc, wanted adventure or something very similar.

It's basically a woman from Florida who now lives in Germany, and has various topics with the differences. Surprisingly it isn't a zomg Germany is awesome wtf is wrong with the US, she's fairly balanced when such subjects pop up on her videos.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....

Ben, I was the guy in the red Saab with US Forces plates that passed you on one of those mountain roads... ;) =D

We drove to Rome (She wanted to see the Vatican and the Pope).  My impression was that most driving was done by horn.   I thought the food was really good, but we didn't eat in the tourist-y places , but went an ate well off the beaten path, where the locals ate.  And yes, the pizza was thin a crispy, mostly; and very light on the toppings, much like the Pizza in Italian Ristorantes in Germany.  Only country where I thought we would starve was Britain.  I can only eat so much Fish and Chips.  Until we found the McDonald's at Picadilly Circus, I was ready to go home.   Even the German restaurant we found in London had horrid food.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.