Author Topic: Not a good month to fly  (Read 4502 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Not a good month to fly
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 12:12:07 PM »

I have flown exactly two times since I retired from active duty, first because I had nowhere to go and then after 9-11 just because. I did have to get on a plane to get to Hawaii and back. I sure will be glad when they get that bridge built. ;)

bob

Wait a minute.  There's an Interstate Highway there already, Interstate H-1.  Interstate H-1 is the busiest Interstate Highway in the US state of Hawaii.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 12:17:11 PM »
Wait a minute.  Isn't there an Interstate Highway there already?

Hell, they have 4 of them now. H1, H2, H3 and H201. Anything to get those federal highway dollars. ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 01:11:37 PM »
The "give a sharp pull" is a very important part of making these things work so it is a possibility that there could be a group of several that don't understand because they didn't listen to the safety brief given by the passenger waitress as they were preparing to roll back from the dock.

I've lost count of how many airlines I've flown on, but I'm quite certain that none have ever said to "give a sharp pull" when explaining the oxygen masks. I think the standard language is "pull the mask down and oxygen will begin to flow." I'm 74 years old, I've been flying since I was 6 months old, and I didn't know how those mask thingies work until I saw the illustration in this thread.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »
I did have to get on a plane to get to Hawaii and back. I sure will be glad when they get that bridge built. ;)

Minor detour for an old joke:

A guy is walking on the beach alone, feeling sad because his girlfriend just broke up with him. He stubs his toe on something, looks down, and sees a bottle. He picks up the bottle, looks at it, rubs the sand off it, and when he removes the cork ... out pops a genie. The genie tells the guy he can have any wish he wants as a reward for having released the genie.

The guy says, "I thought I was supposed to get three wishes." The genie says, "No, that only happens in fairy tales. This is the real world, it's one wish per customer. What would you like?"

The guy thinks for a minute. "Anything at all?" he asks.

"Anything at all," replies the genie.

"Well," says the guy, "I've always wanted to see Hawaii, but I'm afraid of flying and I get seasick, so I can't go by plane and I can't go by ship. How about building me a bridge from California to Hawaii?"

"Whoa," says the genie. "You know, the bridge itself isn't a big deal. But it's 2500 miles from California to Hawaii. You can't drive that on one tank of gas, or in one day. That means I'll have to build service stations, hotels, and restaurants. And that means I'll have to create several islands to put all those service facilities on. And I'll have to find people to work in them all. That's really a tremendous undertaking."

The guy looks crestfallen. "You're right," he says. "I didn't think through all the implications. I'm sorry, that was too much to ask even of a genie. Tell you what -- how about if you can just make it so that I understand women?"

The genie looks at the guy for a few seconds, then he says, "Okay, then -- did you want that bridge to start in Oakland, or Los Angeles?"

We now return you to your regularly scheduled ... whatever.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 01:31:33 PM »
I've lost count of how many airlines I've flown on, but I'm quite certain that none have ever said to "give a sharp pull" when explaining the oxygen masks. I think the standard language is "pull the mask down and oxygen will begin to flow." I'm 74 years old, I've been flying since I was 6 months old, and I didn't know how those mask thingies work until I saw the illustration in this thread.

Back when I occasionally flew commercial that was a standard part of the safety brief, usually they said give a sharp tug or pull. Now it seems they just say pull down. I remember because once when I flew I asked why a sharp pull and they told me to initiate the canister. All I know is if all you do is gently place the mask on you won't be getting any O2.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 01:38:34 PM »
'Tis possible that the lanyards on the masks are short enough that you have to pull and release the trigger before the mask will extend down to your face.

Dunno ... never had to use one, and I hope I never have to test it.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
'Tis possible that the lanyards on the masks are short enough that you have to pull and release the trigger before the mask will extend down to your face.

Dunno ... never had to use one, and I hope I never have to test it.

I have never had to use one on a commercial flight either, got a lot of use out of the O2 mask (technically a smoke mask, we didn't use O2 in the P3 except in an emergency or prior to landing at night) in the Navy though, especially after a rough night of carousing around Olongapo or Subic City!!! Suck down pure O2 for a while and you could actually focus. ;)

From looking at the pic posted earlier it looks like a very short lanyard so to get the mask to your face you would trigger it.

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 03:23:44 PM »
If there is a change in cabin pressure, four
oxygen masks will drop from overhead. Firmly
pull a mask towards you to start the flow of oxygen.

That is a direct quote of our safety briefing.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 05:47:21 PM »
I read that the Navy did not want to use KO2 for its oxygen supplies because of its highly exothermic reaction with water. Read "explosive" for "highly exothermic."

230RN

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2018, 07:09:43 PM »

You're welcome.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »

Pretty much every safety briefing I remember on the airlines I've flown has the flight attendant demonstrating a quick, forceful pull of the mask. So even if they don't say it, if you watch them demo it, you can see the procedure.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2018, 08:55:58 PM »
The highlight of every trip was getting thrown into the ocean off of North Island in strings of 7 or 8 and bobbing around while waiting for the helo to come get you.

Lemoore didn't have an ocean, so they had you jump in the training pool where they turned on some bajillion CFM fans aimed at the water and hit you with water monitors to simulate "stormy conditions" as they dropped the "helo hoist", basically the hoist attached to a crane contraption, for you to hook yourself up and get lifted.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2018, 10:47:57 PM »
Lemoore didn't have an ocean, so they had you jump in the training pool where they turned on some bajillion CFM fans aimed at the water and hit you with water monitors to simulate "stormy conditions" as they dropped the "helo hoist", basically the hoist attached to a crane contraption, for you to hook yourself up and get lifted.

We had a swimmer (in training) come out of the helo to hook us up. Every time I went I used the school wetsuit except the last time. By then we were flying with those new fangled survival suits (big orange gumby) so I took one with me. They let me bob around for ever because they said they knew I wasn't getting cold, and I wasn't. That plus I was the first one they had seen so all of the swimmers had to take a turn hooking me up. :)

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2018, 07:48:16 AM »
The real reason it's not been a good month to fly is because we've had a late "swap" season on the east coast. Cold fronts and thunderstorms have caused a pretty hefty number of delays into July.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »
The real reason it's not been a good month to fly is because we've had a late "swap" season on the east coast. Cold fronts and thunderstorms have caused a pretty hefty number of delays into July.

Suck it bambi, and approve my requests pronto.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2018, 11:06:45 AM »
I read that the Navy did not want to use KO2 for its oxygen supplies because of its highly exothermic reaction with water. Read "explosive" for "highly exothermic."

I wouldn't think our Navy was that forward thinking. After all, our old OBAs ran on KO2. (After briefly considering trolloing old people I will allow that stands for Oxygen Breathing Apparatus, our older firefighting air pack). We had storerooms full of the canisters. We stored our MK58 signal markers in saltwater sprinkler protected magazines. The MK58 is a saltwater activated very large flare. Our liquid oxygen shop was one wall away from where we stored the gasoline which in turn was downwind of the smoke pit... See where I'm going with this? Carrier life makes one kinda immune to senses of actual danger. It's normal to live in the middle of millions of gallons of fuel and thousands of bombs right?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2018, 12:53:38 PM »
Suck it bambi, and approve my requests pronto.

Sorry, UAL promised I wouldn't get an ass beating next time I fly on them, so priority goes to UAL...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2018, 02:20:02 PM »
French G said,
(After briefly considering trolling old people I will allow that ["OBA"]stands for Oxygen Breathing Apparatus, our older firefighting air pack).

Deference accepted, and thanks.

French G again:

I wouldn't think our Navy was that forward thinking. After all, our old OBAs ran on KO2.

From wiki on KO2:

Applications[edit]

The Russian Space Agency has had success using potassium superoxide in chemical oxygen generators for its spacesuits and Soyuz spacecraft. <> KO2 has also been used in canisters for rebreathers for fire fighting and mine rescue work, but had limited use in scuba rebreathers because of its dangerously explosive reaction with water; the Russian IDA71 rebreather was designed to be used with potassium hydroxide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_superoxide#Applications

It's not clear at <> whether they finished talking about Russia or not, but I think that's where I got the idea that the (our) Navy did not like to use KO2.  I also note that was with respect to rebreathers and not necessarily straight oxygen generators.  So basically, I think I stand corrected, and again, thanks.

Terry

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »
Well, since you broke the ice, I started to wonder a couple of posts ago whether "give it a sharp pull" was changed because of the snickering of the ... less than clean...  minds of some of the passengers.

Just an amusing thought, not really presented as a theory.

Terry