Author Topic: Okay, Who Left the Plutonium in the Car?!?  (Read 712 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Okay, Who Left the Plutonium in the Car?!?
« on: July 16, 2018, 11:21:59 AM »
Interesting story. It most likely appears to be double digit IQ hood rats, who hopefully were carrying the samples around in their front pockets for a while. I'm curious about the rental vehicle. Was that supposed to be low profile? Otherwise hop a .gov flight to Texas and get picked up by a gov vehicle, or take the long drive in a gov vehicle. And maybe keep the stuff within sight at all times.

http://amp.idahostatesman.com/news/northwest/idaho/article214731995.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Okay, Who Left the Plutonium in the Car?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 04:09:36 PM »
I recall that the nuclear material to build the first few Israeli nuclear weapons came from Material Unaccounted For from US nuclear production.  After they built Dimona, the Israelis had their own production cycle.

You would think that with the Feds having the Nuclear Emergency Search Team capability, they could find the missing stuff from Texas, assuming that it is not being kept in a shielded container.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 04:13:30 PM »
I recall that the nuclear material to build the first few Israeli nuclear weapons came from Material Unaccounted For from US nuclear production.  After they built Dimona, the Israelis had their own production cycle.

You would think that with the Feds having the Nuclear Emergency Search Team capability, they could find the missing stuff from Texas, assuming that it is not being kept in a shielded container.

They probably could, but as noted in the article, it was only enough for calibrating instruments. It's likely the Feds aren't interested in spending however much that would cost to find such a small amount of material.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 06:32:49 PM »
I would think it was being transported in a shielded container. I'm not sure how much shielding it would take, but in college our 1 curie source (~16 grams of Pu239) was housed in what was essentially a modified 55 gallon drum. Of course, the drum included things like irradiation ports, but it was still pretty massive for a small amount of plutonium. The student lab at Argonne had just had their Pu source recalled - it was 10x larger than ours - so I don't know what that container looked like.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 11:47:42 PM »
They probably could, but as noted in the article, it was only enough for calibrating instruments. It's likely the Feds aren't interested in spending however much that would cost to find such a small amount of material.

Call it a practice run.  Besides, there's a chance that either they'd be doing some locals a huge favor, (no telling how many smash-and-grab thefts that would clear, or possibly provide PC for a warrant the sheriff has been wanting for a long time) or find a fence with a collection of such things.